Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Duck Tail and Spoiler Light

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015 | 11:22 AM
biggynuts01
Instructor

Default Duck Tail and Spoiler Light

My 89 964 is currently at the body shop for a full body restoration and paint job to grey black.

I am considering a ducktail spoiler. For those who fitted the ducktail, what do you do with the wiring harness for the motorized spoiler and do you need to do anything to prevent the spoiler light from turning on?
Old 11-18-2015 | 12:29 PM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

I just blanked off the plug with a rubber balloon and a tie wrap to keep water out and secured it with anothert tie wrap to stop it moving about.
To stop the light coming on the simplest thing is to unplug and remove the spoiler control unit. In my car it was under the passenger side dashboard but if your car is an 89 model it may be under the passenger seat.

------------------------------------------
#27 - Adriatic Blue Lighweight C4
Cup Cams, Carbon Bonnet, Fibreglass Ducktail, RS Interior, RS Engine Mounts, RS Brake vents, Intrax Coilovers with solid mounts, Powerflex bushes, H&R Roll Bars, Sunroof Delete..for more detail:
www.number27.net

Follow me on twitter if you want to get latest updates on my articles and news:
@27number27
Old 11-18-2015 | 12:47 PM
DobermanDad
Drifting

What brand of Ducktail did you buy? I'm interested in the Rennspeed one, but can't find much info on it.
Old 11-18-2015 | 01:11 PM
Vancleef
Racer

I'm having this same issue, Ducktail installed and dealing with the spoiler light on the dash is annoying because it triggers the ! light as well. 89 models don't seem to have the control box under the dash, I'll have to check under the passenger seat. If anyone knows how to get that light from triggering without just unplugging the bulb would be awesome!

I purchased Rennspeed Ducktail, doesn't fit perfect, needs bodyshop to fix minor fitment issues. But overall happy with it.
Old 11-18-2015 | 01:17 PM
biggynuts01
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vancleef
I'm having this same issue, Ducktail installed and dealing with the spoiler light on the dash is annoying because it triggers the ! light as well. 89 models don't seem to have the control box under the dash, I'll have to check under the passenger seat. If anyone knows how to get that light from triggering without just unplugging the bulb would be awesome!

I purchased Rennspeed Ducktail, doesn't fit perfect, needs bodyshop to fix minor fitment issues. But overall happy with it.
I think for our 89's the spoiler control unit is beneath the passenger seat.
Old 11-19-2015 | 01:32 AM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by biggynuts01
I think for our 89's the spoiler control unit is beneath the passenger seat.
That's correct 89 and 90's are under passenger seat , just unplug the spoiler module and the light will go away , 92-94 the module is under the glove compartment , unplugged it also and the light problem will go away . This is a 5 min DIY
Old 12-07-2015 | 06:11 PM
klokwerk
Racer

If you unplug it and never intend on going back, I'd happily buy your '89 spoiler controller from you!
Old 12-07-2015 | 06:54 PM
biggynuts01
Instructor

Originally Posted by klokwerk
If you unplug it and never intend on going back, I'd happily buy your '89 spoiler controller from you!
Pm me an offer
Old 12-07-2015 | 09:37 PM
RAASpeedster
Rennlist Member

I had Stratton Motorsports build me a fiberglass duck tail onto a metal deck lid. I bought the lid from a dismantler in California and had it shipped to Florida. Gary Stratton cut out the deck lid and used the remainder for the tail. The fit is perfect since the perimeter is all metal. It has been painted and will be installed next week.
Attached Images  
Old 12-08-2015 | 01:23 PM
biggynuts01
Instructor

Originally Posted by RAASpeedster
I had Stratton Motorsports build me a fiberglass duck tail onto a metal deck lid. I bought the lid from a dismantler in California and had it shipped to Florida. Gary Stratton cut out the deck lid and used the remainder for the tail. The fit is perfect since the perimeter is all metal. It has been painted and will be installed next week.
Looking good. Please post another after its finished
Old 03-04-2019 | 12:17 AM
gejay
Intermediate

Bringing this thread back to life. I'm considering getting the Rennspeed duck tail this week. I understand that there's a little work that needs to be bone and paint. Overall how much was the cost and what grill did you guys end up using? Will the stock OEM grill fit?

I'm looking at the listing it's saying that I'll need an earlier SC grille to go with it.
Old 03-04-2019 | 01:41 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Old 07-25-2019 | 03:53 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gejay
Bringing this thread back to life. I'm considering getting the Rennspeed duck tail this week. I understand that there's a little work that needs to be bone and paint. Overall how much was the cost and what grill did you guys end up using? Will the stock OEM grill fit?

I'm looking at the listing it's saying that I'll need an earlier SC grille to go with it.
OP never updated the thread or cared to post pics of the ducktail after the install..just got the info he needed and skiddadled..great contributor.
Old 07-25-2019 | 09:33 AM
RAASpeedster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tarek307
OP never updated the thread or cared to post pics of the ducktail after the install..just got the info he needed and skiddadled..great contributor.
I never posted the final product

Quick Reply: Duck Tail and Spoiler Light