Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulley area oil leak (nose bearing)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 09:50 AM
prschmn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is absolutely not SOP to put RTV or anything on the outside of the case during a rebuild.
The fact that it seems like it pushes the stuff out makes me think they may also have put
goop in the bore of the case and blocked the passage that relieves oil pressure behind the seal.
And I could be wrong but it looks like there are small divots in the IMS cover-a sure sign of
heavy handed work which might also indicate damage to the o-ring there. You should not
need to use any sealant there but remember to make sure there are no nicks in the case halves
that could nick the o-ring on installation.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:16 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 601 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by prschmn
It is absolutely not SOP to put RTV or anything on the outside of the case during a rebuild. The fact that it seems like it pushes the stuff out makes me think they may also have put goop in the bore of the case and blocked the passage that relieves oil pressure behind the seal. And I could be wrong but it looks like there are small divots in the IMS cover-a sure sign of heavy handed work which might also indicate damage to the o-ring there. You should not need to use any sealant there but remember to make sure there are no nicks in the case halves that could nick the o-ring on installation.
The OPC haven't come back to me yet, but I'm not surprised it's not SOP. Proving what someone did 3.5 years ago will be the fun bit, including the ball peen hammer marks on the intermediate shaft cover.

Here is what I found when I opened the cover, which btw seemed to have a lot more than 10Nm of torque on the bolts. No obvious damage to the o ring but evidence of sealant (brown red substance which could be removed with finger nails)

The bore seemed smooth enough and the cover didn't appear to be bent from the hammer marks. I fitted a new o ring and the cover slid into the bore smoothly. I tightened the bolts to 10Nm, then put oil in and watched for leaks. The previous leaks didn't reappear but I realise operating pressure, vibration and heat may we'll make a difference.

I've ordered a spare o ring, but it won't arrive for another week and I have two weeks work travel after that so I decided to act as if it was fixed. I used Red 340 gasket maker to provide a secondary seal after the cover was fitted and am now refitting all of the parts so I can drive the car. Fingers crossed albeit I won't be stressed if it's not fixed. I know what's leaking, I have a plan B and this is all experience for when I do a rebuild on my other 964. Can I do better than the OPC? Time will tell.
Attached Images     
Old 02-19-2017, 04:06 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

....and it's not fixed.

A short drive around the block and it's leaking. Not as bad as before but any leak is unacceptable.

I reckoned it was better to fully reassemble it because then the test could be real world. I think it will take half the time for the second go. It's nice and clean now.

I really hope it's the intermediate shaft cover. There should be a breach in the gasket goo to show me the way.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:45 PM
964tit
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey John, it might be in your other thread, but did you solve this? I've got an O-ring coming...
Old 11-10-2019, 04:28 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 964tit
Hey John, it might be in your other thread, but did you solve this? I've got an O-ring coming...
Hi Tiaan, in the end I took the engine apart and installed a new nose bearing etc.Hope you have better luck.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:52 AM
964tit
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Hi Tiaan, in the end I took the engine apart and installed a new nose bearing etc.Hope you have better luck.
I'm definitely not going to do that!
Old 08-20-2020, 11:43 AM
bcgreen
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by seeq
I used crank shaft o-ring #999-707-285-41 instead of Tom Amon's sleeve. And cover with Ultra Blue RTV silicone. 20K miles and still dry. Few other used this same method from Pelican.
Can you give more details on how you used this o-ring to seal the leak? It would seem that you would need something such as the collar to add pressure to the o-ring for a more increased seal.

Quick Reply: Pulley area oil leak (nose bearing)