Sponsored by:

Powder Coat Fan?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 06:32 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Hi Robmug,
Once you get all the pulleys off, the fan and fan hub should slide off the alternator shaft. However, you might need to use a puller because of the tight tolerences, or you might need to take off the alternator, and in a shop, press it off.

There's no keyway or spline, etc just those 3 bolts that mate the sheaves to the fan hub.

mojo
Old 09-25-2003, 08:04 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ROb

go to www.p-car.com

Robin has a DIY for removing the fan. You need to take the alternator out - as there is not enough clearance to remove the fan in situ - also it is a tight fit on the shaft.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:21 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can remove the fan with a gear puller, 3-armed one preferred.

I took a penny and a drift punch, smacked a dimple right in the middle of the penny while it was on a piece of wood.

Why did I do this?? The penney was now shaped like a cone - perfect for using in the ribe tool inset on your alternator shaft, so you don't goof it up!

Hopefully the puller shaft has a removable bearing at the end so you wind up with a point, or at least a blunt end...so the penny will hold the shaft centered while you put tension on it. If you use the flat (elephant foot) style end, it will just go off-center as soon as you put any tension on it.

If the puller doesn't get the fan off without using brute force and causing marks on the perimeter, you've got issues!

I tried everything, including putting two pieces of wood on either side of the shroud and hitting the alternator shaft with a mallet, etc.

I thought the fan was seized on there good...a few moderate twists on the puller tensioner and off she came!

Quick Reply: Powder Coat Fan?