HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

+1957 on that question
Old 07-17-2017, 04:18 PM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 447 Likes on 209 Posts

Ha, it's a question I get asked a lot ! !
Let me say here and now that the one car I really miss, is the 993 RS, but let me also make it very clear that it's not as a result of the increase in value of them.

No, the reason I'd like the 993 RS back is because I didn't really understand it as a car when I owned it 13 years ago.

Unlike the 964 RS which has relatively crude suspension (and in my opinion is a better drivers car for it) the 993's suspension was trickier to understand and master.

No doubting that clever 993 multi link rear suspension saved me from what would I suspect have been a major crash in a 964 RS. Approaching a very fast right hand bend at least 20 mph too fast in the 993 RS, it wasn't until too late I realised my entry speed into the slightly bumpy (and tightening) corner was "inappropriate"....

In the 964 the stiff dampers and springs would've most likely have spat the car off backwards into the hedge on the outside of the corner. Not so the 993, I kept a balanced throttle and with a fairly big "lurch" from the rear end, the car continued around the corner unscathed. It was a big wake up call, but it also made me realise that the more modern suspension had it's benefits.

But for me, those benefits were outweighed by the slightly remote feeling the newer chassis provided. One never felt as in touch or connected with the chassis.

I subsequently went from the 993 RS to a Mk1 996 GT, and the chassis took a further step away from the engagement and tactility found with the 964 RS, don't get me wrong, the 996 was faster in just about every conceiveable way (and it''s engine made the 993 RS engine look pedestrian) but as with every new iteration of Porsche GT/RS, the lines of communication between the driver and the car, become further blurred and less analogue.

The much heralded Varioram 3.8 engine wasn't the massive leap (performance wise) over a healthy re-mapped and decatted 964 RS motor : 285 hp v's 300. But I found that like the 964 chassis, the 964 engine was more "honest", sure the 993 with its more modern injection and engine management was nicer when/if you got caught in traffic (especially on a hot day) but the 964 engine makes one of the best sounds of all the aircooled 911's IMO (especially with a decat pipe, Cup pipe and drilled airbox) the 993 engine sounded like Hoover in comparison.

The lower spring and damper rates, the more refined suspension arrangement and the PAS all led to the 993 RS feeling softer and less focused.

The 993 chassis felt like it needed another 40-50 hp and a much more visceral soundtrack. No doubting the 6 speed transmission in the newer car was an improvement, but I love the gearchange in well warmed through 964 RS ....

So all in all the 993 RS was a bit of let down (for me, at that moment in time) I've since learnt a lot about driving 911's, chassis set up and Porsche chassis dynamics. With the benefit of this knowledge, I think I could modify and tweek the 993 RS into a very potent road car that suits my needs perfectly. Alas it's 11 years too late now ! !

What is undeniable though, is it is a stunning looking car (no Porsche I've owned since has garnered more interest or appreciation)

Name:  e9UycII.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  360.3 KB

Name:  YkRT5yy.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  755.7 KB

Quick Reply: My 964 RWB - "Hollywood"