Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Design 911 Rear indicator lens replacement tips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 06:08 AM
tdiquattro
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

good luck! Nice use of the kitchen worktop
Old 02-19-2016, 07:37 AM
baldy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tdiquattro
good luck! Nice use of the kitchen worktop
Having a girlfriend that lives abroad helps!!!

Tip asking for this weekend
Old 04-02-2016, 06:22 PM
japango911
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sent paypal pymt, pls confirm receipt
Old 05-29-2016, 07:14 AM
Fredthechippy
AutoX

Originally Posted by John McM
Update - I glued the lens last night with http://www.selleys.co.nz/adhesives/h...plastics-glue/

It is nasty stuff to work with, irritating my eyes. Basically it's Super Glue. However it's a reassuringly strong bond. I had about 30 seconds to align the plastic parts, which isn't that difficult as the old glue line was very obvious and this is an OE part so the fit was great.

Tonight I will seal the join with a silicon and then 'bake' the other lens.
How was that glue John McM? I'm just about to embark on the gluing stage. Any other recommendations on glues?

Lenses popped off fine with the oven treatment. A Stanley knife teased between the gap just to get it going and it cracked off nicely. I think the heating actually helps the black plastic stop cracking as well as weakening the glue holding on the lens - it seemed less fragile than when cold.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:40 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Fredthechippy
How was that glue John McM? I'm just about to embark on the gluing stage. Any other recommendations on glues? Lenses popped off fine with the oven treatment. A Stanley knife teased between the gap just to get it going and it cracked off nicely. I think the heating actually helps the black plastic stop cracking as well as weakening the glue holding on the lens - it seemed less fragile than when cold.
The glue is holding well, although in hindsight I think the silicon is messy. It's better to seal the join with a thin bead of glue after the lens is bonded, if there is any water getting in. That's about it so far.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:56 AM
Fredthechippy
AutoX

Thanks John.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:01 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Well pride goes before a fall and all that. I put the latest indicator in the oven at 120C for 20mins. Wrong, and evidently too long as the internal reflector sagged.

No problem I thought, I'd just do a spare I bought. Well that turned out to be a different construction. It was a darker red and it turned out that it had two layers. A red plastic skin over a clear skin. The glue wouldn't give way and it cracked the rear plastic. Indicator stuffed.

In the end I used the reflector from the stuffed effort to replace the sagged one and make one good light.

Not trying to scare anyone but it's not all as easy as I found with the first lot.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:53 PM
18T_BT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this the only place to get these lenses? http://www.ebay.com/itm/JP-Group-Hec...UAAOSwHPlWfugo
Old 06-01-2016, 11:07 AM
Gregg-K
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well that turned out to be a different construction. It was a darker red and it turned out that it had two layers. A red plastic skin over a clear skin. The glue wouldn't give way and it cracked the rear plastic. Indicator stuffed.
I've been wondering whether there are in fact different tail light units on the later 964s. Seems to me that the early cars had tail lights with a foam gasket, and the later ones have no gasket. Seems from John's post above, that at least some are constructed differently.

I wrote to the lens vendor in Germany to check about its compatibility, but was not able to communicate well enough for him to answer my concern

.. Gregg
Old 06-01-2016, 04:48 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

This is the one that caused problems. It was naturally darker than the others I have done and it has a full rubber gasket. I would not try it on this type as the glue would not release properly.
Attached Images  
Old 06-01-2016, 04:51 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

This type works well although be careful with amount of heat and time in the oven
Attached Images  
Old 06-01-2016, 05:32 PM
Gregg-K
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This type works well although be careful with amount of heat and time in the oven
Thank you, John.

Would I be correct in summarizing the differences as follows:
1 The troublesome lights are the darker red ones with a clear area for an amber turn signal
2. The ones more likely to succeed are all red, and lighter in color

.. Gregg
Old 06-01-2016, 05:40 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gregg-K
Thank you, John.

Would I be correct in summarizing the differences as follows:
1 The troublesome lights are the darker red ones with a clear area for an amber turn signal
2. The ones more likely to succeed are all red, and lighter in color

.. Gregg
Yes, that's it. The troublesome light is noticeably darker.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:33 AM
Fredthechippy
AutoX

So I managed to remove one lens using the oven method. A Stanley blade just teased between the two pretty cleanly breaks the glue. Getting a good deal on the new lens was tricky -- still not quite right as a bit of mist inside after a wetting.

I tried on a spare I had first and found one had a plastic ribbed thing inside, and one was metal. The plastic one seemed to survive the oven just fine.

Anyone tried this on the main reflector lens? (Not sure my oven's big enough tho!!)
Old 06-14-2016, 09:38 PM
deadendd9009
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fredthechippy
Anyone tried this on the main reflector lens? (Not sure my oven's big enough tho!!)
Is a replacement center reflector lens available?

Quick Reply: Design 911 Rear indicator lens replacement tips?