Sponsored by:

Cabrio Interior Light Falls Out

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 05:15 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Cabrio Interior Light Falls Out

So the interior light in between the sun visors on my 1992 Cabrio wont stay in place. While driving it just dangles by the wires, I pop it back in, hit a bump and back out it pops. When I first got the car I popped it out to see if the bulb was bad and it felt like it was glued in place slightly. I have attached a picture I took with my phone of the hole that it pops out. Am I missing something here? The detents on the side of the switch spring in and out but it still fits loose. Any ideas?
Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2015, 01:13 PM
tfitch03
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine is the same way, would love a creative fix.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:59 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Mine was doing that too. After getting tired of reinserting it each week, I put a bit of old fashioned rubber cement on it and its stayed in position for several years. I figured that the glue would be easy to pull off/break if I need to ever remove the bezel to replace the bulb.

Last edited by Rocket Rob; 09-30-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:38 PM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you tried to bend the springs or get a new light housing?
Old 09-30-2015, 04:00 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Didn't see any springs to bend, its more like a conical plunger on each side that holds it in place. The plungers go in and out as designed. I was thinking maybe I was missing a part. it looks like it just grabs on the leather wrapping of the windshield to hold it in. It seems like the opening is just too wide. As for getting a new light, the one I have works flawlessly other than the fact that it falls out all the time. Also I have found that most Porsche switches can just be taken apart and cleaned instead of being replaced.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:51 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

So Ive tried to glue this in place with rubber cement, It was fine for a few days then the California sun melted the glue and it popped out again. It falls out every time I hit a bump. Ive fixed the ashtray and the speaker rattles and this light is driving me insane. I just dont see what the plungers on the light are supposed to snap into. Maybe Im missing a part or something? Im pretty handy and this has got me stumped.

Quick Reply: Cabrio Interior Light Falls Out