Sponsored by:

How to remove a 964 rear quarter window

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 08:19 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 640 Likes on 372 Posts
Default How to remove a 964 rear quarter window

I'm getting ready for a respray and removing the rear quarter windows is one task I wasn't looking forward to. It actually wasn't that bad so I thought I would share my experience.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:21 PM
dsan
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 13 Posts

Were your's glued in?
I just removed mine last week for the same reason and was surprised to find that they were glued in also. I thought they were just held in by the gasket. It explained why I was pushing so hard! Thought my hands were going to go through the glass!
Old 09-22-2015, 03:35 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

The rear quarter window is held in with a seal and likely (in never removed windows) some level of Factory applied urethane sealant.

Step 1: Remove the 5 screws holding the trim on at the bottom of the window (interior)

Step 2: Take a blunt tool (I used a body trim removal tool) to fold the top of the seal into the outside of the flange (pushing the seal out). Work from the front top towards the rear of the window. The seal should have room to hold itself in place along the top channel, making it easier.

Step 3: Use a number of blunt tools to hold the bottom of the seal open. What you are trying to do is get as little as possible of the seal from holding the window in.

Step 4: Push the glass gently from the (interior) rear end of the window and it should start to move. Ease it out carefully, especially if the window hasn't been removed before as the Factory used sealant will hold it in at places. In my case one window came out easily (all intact) and one had a lot more sealant that required more care and disassembly.

My mechanic said that the window is very strong and he's never broken one.

If the window is well urethaned in, then you may have to dssassemble the window in situ and in that case it may be worthwhile removing the outer metal trim on the seal before you get too far. This is a simple push fit in the seal and the same body trim tool will work. Be careful not to bend it as they are expensive.

When the window is out, the remaining black trim is held in by 5 small screws. If you are lucky they won't be rusted!
Attached Images       

Last edited by John McM; 09-22-2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:39 PM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice write up! Hope I never have to mess with my rear windows.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:52 PM
dsan
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 13 Posts

What is the blackish "goo" for lack of a better term left on the body after the window was removed near the back? It's visible on the right side in photo #2 and more visible in photo #5. I assumed that was some kind of glue, I have it running the entire length of the lower portion of the window, not just in the corner like yours.

And am I safe to think that it should be completely removed before installing the glass back in?

Thanks for the help, first time doing it and I really don't want to bugger it up or have to pull the glass again with all the new paint around it.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:52 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Default How to remove a 964 rear quarter window

One of my windows was so well urethaned I basically had to dismantle it in place.
Attached Images   
Old 09-22-2015, 04:04 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dsan
What is the blackish "goo" for lack of a better term left on the body after the window was removed near the back? It's visible on the right side in photo #2 and more visible in photo #5. I assumed that was some kind of glue, I have it running the entire length of the lower portion of the window, not just in the corner like yours. And am I safe to think that it should be completely removed before installing the glass back in? Thanks for the help, first time doing it and I really don't want to bugger it up or have to pull the glass again with all the new paint around it.
It's a body sealant. Actually it feels like a window goo. In my windows there also seemed to be a softer sealant in the rear curve. As I'm re painting my car I have cleaned the whole area and will refit with a windscreen type sealant. Be careful getting the old sealant out as you don't want to scratch the paint and introduce rust.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:57 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Step 1: get a suction cup, like the window handlers use.
Step 2: attach to window, outside.
Step 3: Pull.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:16 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,263 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennlistuser8
Step 1: get a suction cup, like the window handlers use.
Step 2: attach to window, outside.
Step 3: Pull.
That will not work if glued in place and if you don't at a min pry the long straight part of the seal around the lip first. The quarter glass is thinner than the rest and breaks easily.

I love how the cheap harbor Freight blue plastic pry bars have become a staple to removing and installing windows. I wish I had a few sets 20 years ago. Now I keep several around they are the best $3.99 I ever spent.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:06 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Worked for me so far. Yet to break a glass using this method.
That said, my sample is not huge. about 6 cars' worth
Old 09-23-2015, 01:19 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,263 Likes on 1,343 Posts

No doubt the suction cup is a great tool and aid for removing and installing. I find some are far easier than others. My windshield on my track car was a piece of cake my C2 a royal PITA. Same make model etc one took an hour the other cost me two windshields and 5 hours each try. I use both the suction cup and plastic pry bars. For the pennies they cost there always good tools to have in the tool box.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:50 PM
hepkat63
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice write up - thanks for sharing. I guess sooner or later, we'll all do this one !
Old 10-06-2015, 08:57 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hepkat63
nice write up - thanks for sharing. I guess sooner or later, we'll all do this one !
Yes, although delay it as long as you can because the various trim pieces needed to complement a respray are $$$
Old 10-07-2015, 01:55 AM
Group911@aol.com
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The black stuff is dum dum. I've never seen actual urethane sealant used on quarter windows. by the factory on a 964.
I like to position myself in the back seats and push on the glass with my foot while working with tools to work the rubber off the lip.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:13 AM
deutschland-dobson
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Group911@aol.com
The black stuff is dum dum. I've never seen actual urethane sealant used on quarter windows. by the factory on a 964.
I like to position myself in the back seats and push on the glass with my foot while working with tools to work the rubber off the lip.
Similar method to what I used.

One person in the back pushing on the window with their feet while a second uses a window sucker to pull the glass outwards (from external to the car).

Chris

Quick Reply: How to remove a 964 rear quarter window