Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for advice on rotors...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015 | 11:46 PM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Default Looking for advice on rotors...

I need some rear rotors for my C2 coupe. I would like to get slotted or regular flat face rotors if that's recommended. There seem to be a lot of options on Pelican and other sites so I wanted to see what others have used with good results. I definitely want something that has a coated center so it doesn't rust.

I didn't see any but to confirm there aren't any 2 piece options until you upgrade to the 993tt big red calipers. Also, the car might get a few track days so I wasn't sure if a cryo rotor would be worth the investment.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 09-19-2015 | 10:39 AM
Goughary
Race Car

I bought the solid sebro rotors at pelican. They were inexpensive and have been great. No issues at all. You don't need the added cooling of slotted rotors unless you are doing long track sessions of 30 mins plus....so go slotted for the look if you like it, but don't be concerned about slapping a pair of sebro on the car and being done...
Old 09-19-2015 | 04:52 PM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Inexpensive rotors sound good to me. Are the centers coated so they don't rust?
Old 09-20-2015 | 12:43 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Originally Posted by MTR
Inexpensive rotors sound good to me. Are the centers coated so they don't rust?
Yes. Mine have been used year round in Connecticut and have just started to show a little light surface rust after a few years. I'm very happy with them.
Old 09-20-2015 | 09:38 AM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Anyone else use a slotted rotor that they are happy with? I'm having trouble finding a slotted product that isn't also dimpled or drilled.
Old 09-22-2015 | 07:47 PM
CarPartsDiscount.com
Former Vendor

We have a great selection of rotor options. if you'd like i would be more than happy to look up what we have to fit your specific vehicle. What year is your Porsche?
Old 09-22-2015 | 08:13 PM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Old 09-24-2015 | 01:39 PM
CarPartsDiscount.com
Former Vendor

Here are some options for your application. Please let me know if you have any questions or if i can be of any further assistance.

https://www.carpartsdiscount.com/cat...html?3594=2111
Old 09-24-2015 | 07:45 PM
Vancleef
Racer

http://thmotorsports.com/i-328911.as...gHUaAqkT8P8HAQ

No affiliation but I ordered my rotors from them and really like the slotted look. $80 aint bad either
Old 09-24-2015 | 09:44 PM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Thanks Vancleef. This is the route I'm going to go. I haven't decided wether it's worth the extra ~$20 per rotor to get the cryo treatment. Also I hear you can't turn slotted rotors, so that's a downside. But they look great and stoptech is a legitimate brand. Post some pictures when you get yours installed.

Mike
Old 09-24-2015 | 11:57 PM
Vancleef
Racer

I had them installed a while back. Just wanted to show how them came shipped. Heres the only pic of them installed.
Old 09-25-2015 | 11:40 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Default Rotors

I put power slot cryo rotors on the front 6 years ago and the pads still look new. The cryo's not only warp less as they stay cooler the pads seem not to wear at all.
Old 09-25-2015 | 04:28 PM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
I put power slot cryo rotors on the front 6 years ago and the pads still look new. The cryo's not only warp less as they stay cooler the pads seem not to wear at all.
That's a good enough endorsement for me. Cryo it is.
Old 09-27-2015 | 01:07 PM
porsche mania
Pro

Originally Posted by MTR
That's a good enough endorsement for me. Cryo it is.
This doesn't make sense to me, surely a slotted rotor constantly scrapes the surface of the pad clean therefore increasing wear! Surely a solid disc will give the best durability?
Old 09-27-2015 | 02:33 PM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by porsche mania
This doesn't make sense to me, surely a slotted rotor constantly scrapes the surface of the pad clean therefore increasing wear! Surely a solid disc will give the best durability?
There's absolutely nothing wrong with a solid disc apart from when you start increasing surface temps....which really only occurs on track) short intervals .... and this is when a drilled or slotted disc comes into its own allowing the gases that build up between the pad and disc (which reduce efficiency, increase temps and therefore increase braking distance) to escaps.

I will be going the route of slotted (as I run on my 996t) as I go through a set of drilled every year or two with the track outings I do (cracks radiate from most of the drill holes)!

Having said that, you've also got to take into consideration pad surface area, brake fluid boiling point, condition of hoses, pad material, etc, etc

Our cars are awesome on the brakes as standard....for the road and occasional track work.....to properly threshhold brake them requires plenty of practice (and a little tuition)

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on rotors...