Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 41 Posts

Rock auto has the clear and the smoked ones
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...amp+lens,11721
Old 04-01-2022, 02:12 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,305 Posts

I picked up a set from Pelican. Look fine but quality is nothing like years ago. All in it was around $140 free shipping but their left side kept coming with a right side flat reflector. They had to send me three left side kits until the right part came

The original factory ones had white inside the lens which are now silver. IMO these look better but not as well made as the Hella units that were original.

These are what the original OE units actually look like but are NLA
The following users liked this post:
das76 (04-01-2022)
Old 02-19-2024, 09:28 PM
RAASpeedster
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Reviving this older thread. I want to change my front turn signal lenses to clear. I notice that FVD has a complete set for US models.

​​​​​​https://www.fvd.net/us-en/FVD631405U...dels-only.html

They also have individual Right and Left turn signal lenses by Bosch.

​​​​​​https://www.fvd.net/us-en/9646314050...eft-white.html
​​​​​​https://www.fvd.net/us-en/9646314060...ght-white.html

They are considerably more expensive then the complete set. Are they less likely to yellow over time? Are they the original part used by Porsche in Europe? You have to buy the relfectors seperately. Where would you get the reflectors that are used for the parking lights?
Any insight would be helpful?
Old 02-19-2024, 11:10 PM
bb964
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 200 Posts

The white plastic showing through the clear lens does not look good, it should have been mirror like silver. Not sure if the more expensive set is silver. Also not sure if any of these are any better than the URO Parts ones available elsewhere for less, they seem to be silver inside

https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/UR-96463140501C
https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/UR-96463140601C

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/TMP9303E.htm

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by bb964; 02-19-2024 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-20-2024, 05:15 AM
TakeFour
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Porsche have never supplied anything except amber versions. Agree that silver finish inside looks better and works better, for $37 those must be worth a punt? They also have the reflectors

https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/UR-96463141100C

Descriptions are all wrong, the main unit is the same for all, the reflector is different for you lot

Last edited by TakeFour; 02-20-2024 at 05:20 AM.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:09 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TakeFour
Porsche have never supplied anything except amber versions. Agree that silver finish inside looks better and works better, for $37 those must be worth a punt? They also have the reflectors

https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/UR-96463141100C

Descriptions are all wrong, the main unit is the same for all, the reflector is different for you lot
Not true. They did supply some countries with the clear reflectors. The original versions were white and silver as shown on my car above. The later ones are aftermarket and have a high shine silver coating all around.

I have 2 sets of the misfits I mentioned above. You would have to source a left side reflector since they came with 2 right sides. I also have the white OE ones as pictured if interested PM me.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:28 AM
TakeFour
Rennlist Member

It is very true, Porsche never supplied anything but amber in both unit and reflector piece (the 4 pieces in the kit) we are not talking about the fog light or the trim piece between the reflector and the fog

20 years or so ago there were Bosch labelled items that were clear, they were nothing to do with Porsche AG though.
Old 02-20-2024, 07:00 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

It is very true, Porsche never supplied anything but amber in both unit and reflector piece (the 4 pieces in the kit) we are not talking about the fog light or the trim piece between the reflector and the fog

20 years or so ago there were Bosch labelled items that were clear, they were nothing to do with Porsche AG though.
Interesting. So please explain to me how I purchased mine directly from Porsche are Bosch and carry a Porsche part number and OE triangle? These are counterfeit?

Old 02-21-2024, 03:59 AM
TakeFour
Rennlist Member

Porsche dealers my sell them in the USA, they seem to have more freedom than the rest of the world

The parts have the Porsche numbers and logo on due to them being copied from Genuine Items

If you look on PET 96463140900 is actually a non USA version without the additional hole for the 5w bulb in it, your one clearly has the hole
Old 02-21-2024, 06:56 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Porsche dealers my sell them in the USA, they seem to have more freedom than the rest of the world

The parts have the Porsche numbers and logo on due to them being copied from Genuine Items

If you look on PET 96463140900 is actually a non USA version without the additional hole for the 5w bulb in it, your one clearly has the hole
I had to drill and grind out the hole when I got these years ago.

So you are telling me my local Porsche dealership sold me counterfeit parts? So they not only counterfeited the Porsche part number and OE markings they counterfeited the Bosch and DoT markings?? I buy parts that are made by OE manufacturers but not through Porsche using the same tooling used to make the Porsche OE part and in every case to prevent a lawsuit, they would be smart enough to grind off the triangle and part number.

I can assure you my dealership did not sell me counterfeit parts and that these came in Porsche labeled packaging when I purchased them 20 years ago. I have been following these cars and products for a long time and this is the first I heard these were not OE. I don't have a country they might have been used on but lighting requirements were very country specific. I suspect that you might be mistaken. I know the upper management of several local dealerships, their GM's and parts managers are good friends. I buy lots of parts all the time and over the years. I can't say what was done 20 years ago but I know first hand how litigious Porsche is and how protective they are of their parts, crest and silhouettes of their cars. I highly doubt anyone would put their business at risk for some clear corners and selling me fake parts would be a real issue.

Sorry You need to do better to convince me these are not OE.

PS; also if the hole was not drilled by me the silver plating process would have bled over to the white plastic. BTW these are identical in every respect to my orange ones in all the markings and material that are original to my car other than the coloring.

Last edited by cobalt; 02-21-2024 at 07:03 AM.
Old 02-21-2024, 07:23 AM
TakeFour
Rennlist Member

20+ years ago the Porsche Genuine lights (all 4 pieces) were made by Bosch and were only available from Porsche in the amber finish

Bosch then started to make them in clear (all 4 pieces) for the ROW spec (hence you had to drill your reflector), these were available in the aftermarket, came with the Bosch stickers on them, had the Porsche number on them (for the amber lights), they even had the bulb holders with them, they were great quality and not a patch on the aftermarket versions out there now.

Bosch dont make lighting anymore, they pulled out over 10 years ago, most Porsche stuff now is made by Automotive Lighting if it is was Bosch back in the day.

Im sure long ago Porsche dealers were sealing aftermarket stuff, I know Sunset and other dealers with good parts departments were.

Bottom line is no 964 ever left Stuttgart with clear front indicators
Old 02-21-2024, 08:37 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

20+ years ago the Porsche Genuine lights (all 4 pieces) were made by Bosch and were only available from Porsche in the amber finish

Bosch then started to make them in clear (all 4 pieces) for the ROW spec (hence you had to drill your reflector), these were available in the aftermarket, came with the Bosch stickers on them, had the Porsche number on them (for the amber lights), they even had the bulb holders with them, they were great quality and not a patch on the aftermarket versions out there now.

Bosch dont make lighting anymore, they pulled out over 10 years ago, most Porsche stuff now is made by Automotive Lighting if it is was Bosch back in the day.

Im sure long ago Porsche dealers were sealing aftermarket stuff, I know Sunset and other dealers with good parts departments were.

Bottom line is no 964 ever left Stuttgart with clear front indicators
I still would like to know your source for this information? I know Bosch no longer makes lighting and AL made the H4 headlights for quite some time now along with a few other manufacturer's. Sunset and others all sell aftermarket parts but they wouldn't be marked as OE Porsche or have factory part numbers. This would be a criminal act if they did. As you can see AL lights are marked AL and not Bosch on both lens and sticker but Identical in most every respect.

So I reached out to my friend who works for Porsche parts and he said not a chance that they would have passed along counterfeit parts. He recalls selling more than a few sets. Irrespective of these leaving Stuttgart on a 964 or not, you have not given me anything that proves these are not OE parts and I would need more than your word to say otherwise.
Old 02-21-2024, 04:34 PM
Ralph3.
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

So, were clear lenses ever installed as original equipment?
Old 02-21-2024, 04:45 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Ralph3.
I've never seen them installed as OE. Back in the longhood days, some markets (e.g. Italy) had clear lenses specified as original equipment.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were offered through dealers as accessories, back when clear lenses were a 'thing' made popular by the JDM crowd (and have since gone out of fashion).
Old 02-22-2024, 09:44 AM
TakeFour
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ralph3.

NO!!

Quick Reply: 964 Clear Turn Signals