Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AWD C4 Owners Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 01:40 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered a few M6 x 1.0, hope I got it right.... Ordered seal kit too.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:19 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 427 Likes on 277 Posts
Default AWD C4 Owners Question

Originally Posted by C4inLA
I ordered a few M6 x 1.0, hope I got it right.... Ordered seal kit too.
Also always remember. Speed bleeders are always sae size wrenches...dumbest thing I've ever seen anyone do, but they say in the package that even the m6 metric bleeders use sae (American) wrench sizes...I'd like to go back in time and shoot the guy that came up with miles, inches, feet and fractions of inches...what a dumbass...or better, just shoot the guy that said "no" when the king wanted to change to metric...
Old 09-04-2015, 09:45 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Do I have this interpretation of Adrian's writings of a decade ago to a fellow Rennlist member having an ABS/PDAS issue that I can disconnect the ABS/PDAS contoller plug in FRUNK and temporarily disable both ABS and BOTH PDAS LOCKS, warning lights in dash will be on and car is then just mechanically AWD only? I have LSD in my car, what is function of all differentials during this process?

Last edited by C4inLA; 09-05-2015 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:37 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't believe I've ever heard of a C4 with standard/mechanical LSD unless it was someone's high-dollar track toy; the C4 Lightweight race cars used the same hydraulic setup with manual vs. computer controlled difflock slave pressure adjustment.

I think yes- if you unplugged the ABS/PDAS unit you'd get a warning light and no automated locking differential adjustment; torque would be the mechanically controlled 67/33 split with open rear and center differentials.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:12 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Originally Posted by FeralComprehension
I don't believe I've ever heard of a C4 with standard/mechanical LSD unless it was someone's high-dollar track toy; the C4 Lightweight race cars used the same hydraulic setup with manual vs. computer controlled difflock slave pressure adjustment.

I think yes- if you unplugged the ABS/PDAS unit you'd get a warning light and no automated locking differential adjustment; torque would be the mechanically controlled 67/33 split with open rear and center differentials.
Feral...really? Is it that simple? There was that whole thread recently to achieve this...and I didn't see anyone suggest just unplugging the brain...

I've driven the c4 This way on the track, and it's awesome. I'd like mine to stay this way permanently ( without the warning)
Old 09-05-2015, 02:04 AM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Do I or Don't have LSD? Gonna have to stick my head under the car tomorrow ....
I have yet Sort my Grunch on slow full sharp turns in right rear or rear center and Adrian's article gives me a "test" to take locks out of equation... I could have a sticky lock... Then I could have sticky clutch pack in LSD? I am wondering what Variable LSD means?

Last edited by C4inLA; 09-05-2015 at 02:28 AM.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:18 AM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

More questions after reading sticker; what is Force Sensitive Steering and Toe correcting rear suspension?

My 964
Old 09-05-2015, 07:51 AM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FeralComprehension

Originally Posted by Goughary
Feral...really? Is it that simple? There was that whole thread recently to achieve this...and I didn't see anyone suggest just unplugging the brain...

I've driven the c4 This way on the track, and it's awesome. I'd like mine to stay this way permanently ( without the warning)
I think the other thread was about keeping ABS while losing PDAS. Unplugging the ECU, you lose both. Just be careful disconnecting the plug. If the unit is in the original location, water could have gotten in the plug. When you go to disconnect the plug, one or more pins can come with the plug. Happened to me and it is a nightmare to find a new unit (costs are very expensive if you can find one).
Old 09-05-2015, 09:50 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Originally Posted by Duck
I think the other thread was about keeping ABS while losing PDAS. Unplugging the ECU, you lose both. Just be careful disconnecting the plug. If the unit is in the original location, water could have gotten in the plug. When you go to disconnect the plug, one or more pins can come with the plug. Happened to me and it is a nightmare to find a new unit (costs are very expensive if you can find one).
Gotcha...that makes sense. I was getting excited for a moment...back to the drawing board...
Old 09-05-2015, 09:57 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Toe correcting rear suspension is "weissach effect", which is great for regular street driving, but kinda sucks on a track. Basically as you drive hard into a corner, the rear wheel under load toes itself inward driving against the force of the motor as it wants to pendulum....now add bumps and ruts in the hard corner and your rear wheels are steering in and out, and makes you less grippy rather than more grippy...and leaves you always feeling like you don't know what the car wants to do...so for me, next spring plates will be a bit stiffer and il reduce the weissach effect...

Lsd is not possible in a c4 because it uses a clutch pack in place of the lsd.

And the variable assist steering is just that you have more power to the steering rack at low speeds and less at high speeds. That's pretty normal.

Lots of big words to sell a car, limited explanation as usual. Again from "das professionals"...
Old 09-05-2015, 12:23 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Peter principle! Didn't take me long to exercise it I'm feeling pretty embarrassed right now... So, saying I having LSD is moot, C4 all have same LSD, clutch pack based, correct? Why Variable LSD Term? Does it require friction modifiers, coz I added ....

Last edited by C4inLA; 09-05-2015 at 01:17 PM. Reason: I am ignorant :(
Old 09-05-2015, 01:20 PM
Goughary
Race Car

It's a window sticker. It said LSD because back then, everyone though having LSD was cool. Or if it's a later sticker from a reseller, it's because he had limited knowledge of his product.

Further, if you try to explain what it really is to a normal person, they get bored after the second line and think you are a geek and run away...

This is where we get statements like "shut up and drive" from....no one wants the story, just the fun...
Old 09-05-2015, 01:38 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Gentlemen,

Thanks for patience and edge-u-ma-cating me

So, friction modifier added to new gear oil in rear diff is proper?
Old 09-05-2015, 02:09 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Originally Posted by C4inLA
Gentlemen,

Thanks for patience and edge-u-ma-cating me

So, friction modifier added to new gear oil in rear diff is proper?
Now you are educating me...what is a friction modifier? I just use redline 75w90 gear oil...
Old 09-05-2015, 05:37 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

You know, 4-8 oz of gear oil additive for LSD's .... Delvac 75w90 does not have additive for auto's with LSD's.... Not one I bought....

Quick Reply: AWD C4 Owners Question