Sponsored by:

Low Oil Pressure light

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 01:55 PM
Haves1979
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Low Oil Pressure light

Got stuck in traffic yesterday, and had the oil pressure light flick on and off a couple times. Temp went up to about the 10 o'clock position, which is about as hot as I've ever seen it get. The pressure guage was showing as whisker under 1 bar. Normally it's just above 1 bar hot idle, with 3 bar plus cold idle and 5 bar both hot or cold with revs.

The thermostat had opened as the front wing was warm, but couldn't hear the fan. Car is running 10/40 and has plenty oil in having just been changed so wondering if it's just linked to the temp.

Been stressing about this as I've been reading a stack of threads of similar issues with comments ranging from its normal and as per the handbook to the engine is fooked. Should I be worried or just get the fan/ballast looked at and for the temp and see if it happens again?
Old 08-02-2015, 02:45 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

get the car hot and walk up front and put you hand over the slits below the oil cooler and see if its blowing.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:48 PM
porsche mania
Pro

I know this won't put your mind at rest but the manual states that it's perfectly normal to do that when stationary with the engine running on a hot day! Are your pressure readings back to normal now?
Old 08-02-2015, 04:10 PM
Haves1979
Instructor

Cheers will check next time I have it out, couldn't hear anything but it is pretty loud.

Had seen that mentioned when I was looking at a few old threads, so hoping that's the case! Yep it was fine on the run home and not done it before, which is why I think it might be temp related.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:28 PM
Kappi2907
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Low Oil Pressure light

If your gauge hits 22:00 position the blower of your oil cooler will kick in full force, after a few minutes your oil temp will drop to just above 21:00.
If not.....Google Tore Bervilll
Old 08-03-2015, 01:19 PM
jeremycliff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has been doing this a couple times lately as well. When stuck in traffic the temp gauge goes up to 10 o'clock or so and when i come to a stop the oil pressure drops a bit below 1 and the light comes on, I've noticed if I catch the RPM's and keep it just over 1k while stopped the oil pressure doesn't drop and the light doesn't come on. When the light does come on it goes away almost immediately after I start moving.

Is this similar to whats happening with yours Haves1979?

I've been searching a good bit and was going to stop by a local Porsche shop this week to inquire about it further.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:17 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche mania
I know this won't put your mind at rest but the manual states that it's perfectly normal to do that when stationary with the engine running on a hot day! Are your pressure readings back to normal now?
^^^This...but do confirm that your oil cooler fan is coming on at that temp.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:32 PM
Haves1979
Instructor

Originally Posted by jeremycliff
Mine has been doing this a couple times lately as well. When stuck in traffic the temp gauge goes up to 10 o'clock or so and when i come to a stop the oil pressure drops a bit below 1 and the light comes on, I've noticed if I catch the RPM's and keep it just over 1k while stopped the oil pressure doesn't drop and the light doesn't come on. When the light does come on it goes away almost immediately after I start moving.

Is this similar to whats happening with yours Haves1979?

I've been searching a good bit and was going to stop by a local Porsche shop this week to inquire about it further.
Yep exactly the same. It's only ever done it this once, so as above going to get the cooling fan checked. I've also read the rear blower fan should come on when the car is switched off at this temp and it doesn't do that either - not sure if they are linked.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:57 AM
deutschland-dobson
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you replaced any oil lines recently? When you changed oil did you go for a different brand?

Chris
Old 08-04-2015, 06:43 PM
Haves1979
Instructor

Originally Posted by deutschland-dobson
Have you replaced any oil lines recently? When you changed oil did you go for a different brand?

Chris
It split the oil line recently yes - the one going from the thermostat to the oil filter up over the top of the wheel arch. The garage (not opc) did a full oil change using 10-40w fully synth (same weight) however not sure of the brand. It will be different though as was serviced at my local opc prior to that who I think said they used porsche classic oil.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:53 PM
peter y.s pang
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try replace the oil pressure sensor, i had same case as you for my 993 , once change the VDO brand oil pressure sensor, everything back to normal.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:58 AM
deutschland-dobson
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Haves1979
It split the oil line recently yes - the one going from the thermostat to the oil filter up over the top of the wheel arch. The garage (not opc) did a full oil change using 10-40w fully synth (same weight) however not sure of the brand. It will be different though as was serviced at my local opc prior to that who I think said they used porsche classic oil.
Thought I remembered that!

I bet they didn't use the Porsche oil line and either chose OEM or made their own?

The only reason I ask is that we made a pipe for my C4 when that pipe broke and I get the light flicker when dipping the clutch coming to a stop.

The Porsche pipe seems to have a flow restrictor built-in that the other pipes cant replicate.

Also worth checking that the pipe fitted isn't snagged or buckled.

Chris
Old 08-08-2015, 03:27 PM
Haves1979
Instructor

Originally Posted by deutschland-dobson
Thought I remembered that!

I bet they didn't use the Porsche oil line and either chose OEM or made their own?

The only reason I ask is that we made a pipe for my C4 when that pipe broke and I get the light flicker when dipping the clutch coming to a stop.

The Porsche pipe seems to have a flow restrictor built-in that the other pipes cant replicate.

Also worth checking that the pipe fitted isn't snagged or buckled.

Chris
Yeah, it made a right mess! I supplied an oem pipe so that should be fine. Have ordered a new oil pressure sensor and going to make sure the fan is operating as it should and can go from there.

Quick Reply: Low Oil Pressure light