Sponsored by:

Should I worry?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 06:04 PM
GMK
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should I worry?

So I just got back from a 3000 km/1850 miles drive yesterday with my black on black '91 C2. Brought my girlfriend with me on a one week car trip to Lofoten, which is a part of the Norwegian coast line far north in Norway. Brought tents and sleeping bag, luggage space in a 964 for two persons is really quite good!

The roads are narrow and twisty, with numerous camper vans to pass thus providing an excellent excuse for stepping on the gas every now and then. Most of the roads are smooth, but some of the stints included very rough surface.

Kit (as I've named her) performed without fault throughout the drive until the last day when I noticed a rattling sound. The sound became more distinct at roughly 50 mph and was a typical metal to metal rattle, as if a bolt with washer had become loose and was rattling against the chassis. It was impossible to identify where on the car the rattling sound came from. Luckily, the rattle went away after I was forced to pass a couple of camper vans (which included emptying third gear ). The last camper van gave me a quick notice with his horn, which I've since concluded had to be because something fell off my car, i.e. the loose rattling part.

When doing the mandatory post trip car wash yesterday evening, I noticed a small plastic ring around 0.5 inch in diameter laid loose in the transverse "slot" that the engine cover locks/closes into. I'm consequently thinking that something came loose from the spoiler mechanism inside the engine cover, and I expect this also to be the culprit for the rattling noise.

The spoiler mechanism seems to work perfectly, and the car behaves otherwise as it should. Anyone want to have a shot on what the rattle and plastic ring may come from? And should I worry?

Old 07-20-2015, 07:29 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I wouldnt worry about that unless it came out when you changed the oil!

Quick Reply: Should I worry?