Sponsored by:

Anyone Know a good motor builder SE

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 11:21 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 427 Likes on 306 Posts
Default 2 quotes

I have two quotes so far both for around 14k. This did include a complete job including head studs and machining all surfaces but this seems high compared to rebuilds of other similar non-Porsche motors. The one shop nearby offered pricing and then has never returned phone calls. I think pricing may be geographically skewed by supply of qualified labor and demand. I'm expanding my search and appreciate all the great recommendations !

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
What is the rough cost nowadays to rebuild one of these engines to stock specs??
Old 08-03-2015, 12:33 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

I think 14K is unrealistically cheap if they are going to those depths. You can't compare a Porsche engine to other engines and end up with any sort of apples to apples numbers.

When I build these engines I rebuild the distributors, use all new plug wires and sensors, along with all the internal updates. That includes a new clutch, as well, so we can dynamically balance the engine for the long haul. You can't touch this engine, taken to those depths for less than 20K bare minimum.

There's nothing worse than internally reconstructing an engine, and then having something stupid, on the outside leave you on the side of the road.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:09 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

On the East Coast I only use Orbit. They care for my RS. They are in Florida. Make a trip out of it

Quick Reply: Anyone Know a good motor builder SE