Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some Recent and Not so Recent Mod Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 09:58 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Some Recent and Not so Recent Mod Reviews.

First off I have no affiliations with any of the companies that produced the products I put on my 964 in the past year, but since this forum functions a lot on feedback of others I thought I would make a small post.

Super Pro Front Control Arm Bushings (Both F&R positions)
These are by far my favorite update on the car. The durometer is not high enough to give you any NVH, but everything about the car just feels better. The steering is more solid and a little tighter. The greatest benefit was on twisty roads however, the car does not seem as unsettled and just follows through the turns flawlessly.

Despite the DIY being thoroughly written, I had lost my patience trying to get the old bushings out myself, so I just took the control arms to a shop to press them out. So far I have had these over a year and have no noises, NVH, or complaints.

Eibach to H&R Reds/Turbo/RS Springs
I wanted to tighten up the suspension a little, as for me the softer initial rate of the Eibach Springs was a little too bouncy and causing me to rub a little more often. The DIY swap to Reds was easy enough and to me the package with HDs seems better. The car is more gathered and despite being progressive, it loads up quicker when you put it into a turn. Furthermore, the ride to me feels exactly the same as the Eibachs, perhaps a touch firmer over the really bumpy stuff, but not drastically noticeable.

ECS Brake Lines
This were included in part of my overhaul while the Northeast Winter made a mess of the roads. They are well made and live up to their word on being an exact fit.

Rothsport Poly Steering Rack Bushings
During the day part of me hated these things with all my heart. It was winter and I was swapping items out, and thought I'd do these. By far one of my least favorite DIY's, especially if its your first time doing it. The old ones came out with a bit of a tug, and seemed in decent condition, but i had these on hand so it made sense to put them in. You realllllly have to wrestle them in there because they are so much stiffer,and be crafty to get the clamp to line up well so you can thread both bolts in.

But in the end, it seemed that surprisingly the steering felt more solid/stable over bumps and the abundant road imperfections in NY, so perhaps the effort was not for nothing.

FD Motorsports Short Shift Kit
Having an early build, I had to enlarge my tunnel opening to fit it, which only took around an hour and a half due to the provided template and DIY. The first drive out was not ideal since I was in traffic the entire way home, but the shorter throws and slightly added effort to put in gear is immediately noticeable. Now it seems that with every drive after that I end up loving this shifter more and more. FD do make a great piece of kit and their customer support is exceptional.

Function First Slotted **** and Redline Shift Boot
There have been lots of **** posts lately, and I really grew to like the slotted shift **** that Function First came out with. Its easy enough to put on, and looks as great as it feels. I never really loved the OEM shift ****, but I didn't expect for it to feel as good in hand as it does. Rowing through the gears feels a lot better when you have something solid in hand.

I initially saw the Redline boot over in the 993 section, and did not love the outcome, but decided to take a stab at it myself. I opted for the Napa Leather with Quadruple stitching. I did the tan stitching to match the interior and a subtle dark red on the outside. The Napa leather is a very good match to the OEM leather, and the tan stitching goes well with my interior as well. I was actually slightly surprised at how well it was made when it came in.

Personally I think black leather fits the black **** better than a tan boot, but thats just me. I still need to straighten things out and make a wire frame for the base, but for not I have just been riding around as is.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Mr.Alex; 06-19-2015 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:50 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 125 Posts

Great review man!!

Where'd you get the Super Pro Front Control Arm Bushings? Those are on the top of my list. Possibly the rothsport poly steering bushings too!!

You get the golden food or just the shifter?
Old 06-17-2015, 11:55 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got the bushings from here, they were just a few bucks cheaper back then but nearly the same price.
http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod71...-993-SuperPro/

At the moment I just have the short shifter, as I just really wanted to shorten the throw a bit. I loved the fluidity of the original shifter, but sometimes in NY the 1-2 is so terribly long, and the 3-2 on spirited driving was another one of those long shifts.

I checked out the bushings where the golden rod goes and they were replaced around four years ago and are still like new. I don't doubt the golden rod works great, but it seems a little price at ~240$. Jpar had a thread were he swapped the bushings with brass bushings from an older 911, I suppose only time will tell how brass metal will hold up, but that seems to be another alternative.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:19 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Always good with a mod-report. We often talk about what we do but not so much about the outcome. I'll come back with a report about my upgrade to the 993 brake cylinder. But I will do one more Trackday before I say anything. So give me a couple of weeks.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:22 AM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Mr.Alex,

Nice review! The Function First slotted **** look great, it kind of reminds me of the old balsa ***** from the 917's an latterly the Carrera GT's. I was thinking about one for one but ordered black with shift pattern in white. What I really like is the thought behind where the shaft fits to the boot, which I'm having made to fit exactly.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 06-18-2015, 11:23 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasC2
Always good with a mod-report. We often talk about what we do but not so much about the outcome...
+1

Always good to hear what people think of their mods after they have lived with the changes for a while.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:25 AM
CGT000
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

Posted in error

Last edited by CGT000; 08-20-2018 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Typo

Quick Reply: Some Recent and Not so Recent Mod Reviews.