Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 07:04 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

With reference to "diesel" oils, the high zinc content can damage catalytic converters, but it would take a 100,000+ miles to cause any problems
Old 06-04-2015, 08:34 PM
Alan 91 C2
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

The engine runs strong. Just leaks big way. Have a drip pan for the garage floor, but the oil spray on the tail is a pain to wash. Driver side cam cover cracked leaking oil. Loses a quart on 50 miles.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:50 PM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Anybody have an idea of how many hours labor I will cut off the rebuild costs by taking the engine down to the long block (other than sitting on the heat exchangers, all other components including power steering pump are removed). I am planning to carry just the long block to the company that will do the rebuild. I know the other costs of the rebuild are depending on what has to be done, but hoping there are some decent savings by the work I am doing. Thanks.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:33 AM
ALEX P
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots! And it's not a bad job, you can assess what needs replacing as you go along, just take lots of photos.
I would imagine you would save yourself something like $750 depending on labour rates.
For the top end I'd estimate around 12 hours labour for dis-assembling, cleaning, measuring and re-assembling.
That is just a rough estimate though.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:29 AM
CRG
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

buy an engine stand & yoke and save it all ...if you have another car to drive while your working on the 911 take your time and do it yourself, if it's a stock build you can do it
Old 06-06-2015, 05:46 PM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Thanks Alex and CRG. I would like to do it myself, but have been a little hesitant. I am not great at following written directions (probably an attention issue). I do have the DVD that goes through the rebuild process. So really on the fence about diving in myself.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:29 AM
CRG
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

to be honest if your'e "on the fence" I wouldn't do it.

I say that because even if you were 100% committed it's still a massive undertaking for a 1st time DIY'er and will probably take 2-3 times longer than you think it will, assuming you will split the case. Unless you have a few local experienced rebuild DIY'ers that would lend you a hand..if not

yes you will save $$ and learn a hell of a lot about your car but it will own your life for many many months...i know because it sounds like you want to do what i've been doing, since last summer (taking me a very long time as I travel quite a bit)

no matter what road you take it's not going to be inexpensive, you just need to decide if you want to pay with your time and money or just your money
Old 06-07-2015, 09:56 AM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Thanks CRG. You are right and I would hate to get partly through it and then something happens and cannot continue. I am sure I have decided to go with the company in Raleigh. At least I will have it down to just the long block. Still going to be expensive though. I worry about the amount of parts to be replaced and know how I am. I always lean towards replacement vs reuse if there is any question at all.

Will report back as I get further along and the prognosis from the rebuilder.

Quick Reply: Engine Rebuild