car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 07:49 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default car won't start

So its been a long time! My 964 has been through a full engine rebuild, sat as a garage queen, and then I took it back to Jim Buckley for a 1000 mile post rebuild check/valve adjustment and have some issues. Drove her home from Fort Worth Saturday, drove well with two moments of unusual hesitation at low speed acceleration (neither longer than a second) but basically all good - started, ran all OK.

Today - - she won't start

Turn key, engine fires. Idles very erratically. Noisy. Stalls. Tried this a couple of times, then tried "helping" with gas peddle. No response to input from peddle. Stalls. Tried again. More of the same. Disconnected battery. Tried again 45mins later. Same.

Please help or point me in right direction.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:41 PM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check the connection where the afm meets the intake, pretty notorious for coming loose after recent fiddling.

check the wiring to isv, mine had a broken connection at the plug inside the insulation that I found only by playing with the wiring harness in that area

check the plug on the back of the afm, and the vacuum line that runs to the back of the airbox

check that all the plugs and injectors are seated properly

by "noisy" what do you mean?
Old 05-20-2015, 12:57 AM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Thank you!!

Noisy = revs upto 1.5k and then back under 1k and then dies.

So just dug out my original scantool and 2006 Rennlist interface. For whatever reason won't give any Motronic reading (does give ABS A/C and SBS Air Bag)

Will dig in more tomorrow.

THANK YOU
Old 05-20-2015, 09:56 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You probably checked this, but always good to rule out the easy stuff first.

Your fuel filter is good right?

And what justin-in-athens was saying. Or maybe your ISV needs a good cleaning.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:35 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

So Autoscope's Bosch hammer shows reference/crankshaft sensor faults. Could that be the issue here?
Old 06-14-2015, 03:35 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruairidh
So Autoscope's Bosch hammer shows reference/crankshaft sensor faults. Could that be the issue here?
The ECU will only power the injectors or the fuel pump (i forget which or if it was both) when the engine is turning more than 30 RPM. And with a faulty reference speed sensor there won't be much of an RPM reading.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:29 PM
bmohr
Racer

Got a no start issue that happened after sitting for a few days. DME is 993 part and I hear and feel the "click" on key turn. Car cranks healthy..battery is charged but no fuel is being delivered I believe. I removed the metal fuel pump cover and upon turning key I can feel no vibrations or sound or sign of life from the pump. It is held in place via 4 rubber screw mounts yes? I've had the classic warm weather "two crank to start" effect..never that issue in colder weather...and I've also had the hard start after hot engine from time to time. I almost feel like I might have two issues..fuel pump and the fuel pressure regulator. Any thoughts or tips going forward?
Old 06-30-2015, 06:30 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

It certainly could be a failing reference sensor, if that what the hammer shows.
To test this, you open the DME relay(under drivers seat) and used a multimeter set to AC voltage, across pins 47 & 48 of the large plug. iT's supposed to read 3 volts.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:34 PM
bmohr
Racer

well, I fiddled around and got the car to start..didn't take to idle very well, but once it got started it ran very well, just like it always does. Took it for a short trip came back and looked into the engine bay and smelled GAS. I was thinking it was my fuel pressure regulator but identified the smell coming from the right hand side and found a fuel line from from the fuel filter was leaking. It is the line that goes from the filter then snakes downward alongside the right rear strut mount. Anyone else have that issue? Or know the part and process to replace? Those Carbeeque pics the other day are playing through my head about now
Old 07-02-2015, 12:43 PM
bmohr
Racer

found this thread..looks like I'll have to call my shop.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...e-leaking.html
Old 07-22-2015, 07:22 PM
lverheul
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Likely source also a fouled sensor on the AFM. Pretty easy to clean

Quick Reply: car won't start