Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel line leaking

Old 04-25-2008, 07:07 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fuel line leaking

I've had a fuel smell for a while and have been chasing the usual suspects (gas cap, filler neck). Turns out, there is a split in the rubber hose shown in this diagram as #12. Part number 964.356.061.05. This is a long metal fuel pipe that terminates in a flexible fuel line crimped onto it that then leads to the fuel filter. Porsche dealer says there are none in the US and would have to be ordered from Germany (3 weeks) and the cost is $345. I called DC Automotive and they have some used ones but recommended that I take it to a shop that fabricates hydraulic lines and get them to crimp a new flexible high pressure fuel line onto the pipe and end fittings. I'm checking around right now to see who can do this locally.

Can you guys think of any issues with going this route? The thought of my RSA becoming a bonfire is in the back of my mind...
Old 04-25-2008, 10:22 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I had the same one (or #13, fuel return line) leak a few years ago - always moisture at the fuel pump.

I was concerned about fire risk so had my wrench do it -- replaced the whole pipe with a new OE one at a cost of about $600 (part + 2 hours labour)....worth every penny for the peace of mind considering the bonfire images I kept getting in my head.

Marc
Old 04-25-2008, 10:29 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Default another option...

I had the same issue some time ago, the hose had to be backordered and I needed to get it home. cut the fitting off the tube, got a standard hose banjo fitting (at the pump end) a foot or so of fuel line, four hose clamps (two for extra measure) and bingo. The new hose finally came in, I haven't gotten around to putting it in, and it's been three years...

My other 964 and my 944 (uses the same pump and fittings) both came with this "fix" and I haven't ever had an issue...you do need to be careful not to crimp the line as you put it all back in but it's pretty easy. I've since retrofitted the racecar the same way, I did get a pipe flair/swedge tool that puts the little bump on the end of the tube, about $15 at harbor freight, for a more factory solution.

(ps: the primary reason for doing this was I was confident in the simplicity and security of the hose/clamp, vs I've had the crimp on hoses fail/seep, and then it's pretty much a one shot deal...)
Old 04-26-2008, 01:25 AM
TR6
Drifting

I checked with Sunset and they sell it for about $220 but said it would take 3-4 weeks to get it from Germany. I'm going to try the place that fabricates hydraulic lines to see if they can repair it with the original ends.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:22 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
I checked with Sunset and they sell it for about $220 but said it would take 3-4 weeks to get it from Germany.
They can have it to you in 3 days but the shipping will cost you a little more.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:28 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Greg see if they have a location in dallas. I used them to make a couple of hoses, i think they can do just about anything when it comes to hoses and fittings, it saved me a couple hundred bucks too.

http://www.aeroquip.com/index.asp

JERRY
Old 04-26-2008, 04:22 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

On an unrelated, but similar note, I had a friend's '92 targa go up in flames on me from the return line breaking. No, not on the flex line. The solid line was crimped from an earlier drivetrain R&R, and it finally fatigued and cracked who knows how many years later.

Trending Topics

Old 04-26-2008, 09:04 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by race911
...I had a friend's '92 targa go up in flames on me from the return line breaking. ....
Hearing that doesn't make me feel any better...
Old 04-26-2008, 10:52 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Now that I think about it again, it had to be the supply line as the car stalled. A failed return line, like many an early CIS car would let you run and run, gas dumping on the ground. And yes, I've been witness to that, too.

It had clearly moved out of its bracket/hold down, likely because the fuel lines weren't removed on a previous engine removal. The solid line was kinked/crimped at some point, then just bent back. Could have happened to the previous owner, my luck I was driving the car around for a few days after just having put a whole suspension on it. Pissed about losing power a mile or so from my shop on an errand, only to look in the mirror to see if I could safely pull to the curb...........and flames shooting out of the grill. Uh huh. Luckily, some guy was working on his car in his driveway as I coasted by, and he grabbed an extinguisher and ran after me up the street. Car would have likely burned to the ground if he hadn't been there. Only saving grace was my friend got an absurdly high settlement for a 125K mile car (in '98 or '99 that was huge mileage), and I got the salvage with hardly any damage for about $5K.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:36 PM
cobias1
Racer

Does anyone know the thread pitch of the steel line engine end nut to the fuel filter line nut? 12 connecting to 26.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fuel line leaking