Sponsored by:

Rear blower motor fuse terminals

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 07:13 PM
Gelignite
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear blower motor fuse terminals

does anyone know what terminals fit in the fuse holder for the rear blower motor? Mine melted rather than blowing the fuse and it is not possible to see the terminals. I have bought a new holder but it doesn't come with terminals. Standard 6.3mm terminals do not fit and i can't find anything that looks right on-line.
Also this has happened a couple of times now and i have used generic in line fuse holders up to now, both of which eventually melted. When it first happened i replaced the blower moter, but eventually that stopped working too so i have now fitted another new motor, and it has happened again since then. I don't really want to put it together without knowing the root cause now. It is such a simple circuit in theory so i don't understand why the fuse melts along with the assembly rather than blowing. I will measure with a current meter when i reassemble but any ideas would be gratefully received.
Thanks
Steve
Old 05-12-2015, 03:46 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Have you checked the parts manual to identify the right terminal/connector?
Old 05-12-2015, 07:07 PM
Gelignite
Instructor

Yes, i checked the parts diagram and the fuse holder is not pictured but is mentioned in the list. The terminals are not referenced at all though and i assumed they would be part of the fuse holder, but they are not.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:02 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

On the fuse panel, look down into the holder for the "not used" or open fuse locations for a spare connector - not sure if the un-used fuse locations are loaded with a connector.

Those generic in-line fuse holders are sometimes limited to 20 amp - this is a 25-30 amp circuit, but you should not be burning these up anyway.

Something is up with blower rotating element if you've replaced the motor. This is a two speed motor, fast speed full voltage, slow speed the voltage is dropped down by the resistor in the duct.

And you're burning holders when on low speed? You're probably pulling more than 10 amp continuously, does your amp meter go above 10amp? You need to check this out ASAP, before you burn up the engine bay. There have been engine bay fire due to the inline resistor on the slow speed circuit getting too hot and burning the plastic duct.

I've checked the PET and section 9 has pictures of most all the connectors but I didn't recognize anything that would work as a fuse holder.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:32 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

30 Amp fuse as per:
http://www.pcarworkshop.com/images/2...0489geolab.pdf

might be mistaken about un-used fuses in the rear panel, not sure if un-used fuse holders are the same up front.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:37 PM
Gelignite
Instructor

I have just got round to measuring the current and i am getting 7.8 amps on low speed and 12.8 on high speed. I am not sure what a good one should draw as i can't find any spec on line and have't taken the unit apart. It does sound a bit strained though so i am going to take it apart again and check to see if it is catching on anything. It is a replacement motor and i may not have got it completely straight.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:40 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

This may help with the location.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...pass-tube.html

Quick Reply: Rear blower motor fuse terminals