Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have their rear shock mount fail?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015 | 09:03 AM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Default Anyone have their rear shock mount fail?

So after changing out my sway bar bushings the clunk in the rear driver's side of my car is still there. I have Bilstein HD's and H&R Greens all around that I put in myself about 4 years ago. When I did the work I reused the old shock mounts. This weekend I went for a drive and the clunk from going over a bump or uneven pavement seems to be high up in the car.

I figure I have play in my rear shock mount. What else could it be? I've gone ahead and ordered another mount. Not looking forward to undoing the birds nest of cables and hoses that are mounted on the brass post in front of the mount.
Old 04-14-2015 | 11:51 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

For mysterious clunks, I would check a number of things besides the sway bar bushings. Has any other work been done to the car recently?

1) Are you wheel lug nuts tight?
2) Check your engine mounts
3) Check your CV axle bolts and the CVs themselves - can you spin them both ways smoothly?
4) I would suspect you may have a bad shock or broken spring but only 4 years old, that's not very likely
5) Could the engine muffler be hitting the bodywork?
Old 04-14-2015 | 12:38 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Thanks Rob. Here are the answers 1. Yep. Wheels are totally tight and torqued 2. Engine mounts are 993 mounts I replace a few years ago. The clunk doesn't feel like it is coming all the way in the back where the engine mounts are 3. I was just under the car and both CV joints look good. I will try spinning them later. 4. I'm curious about it being a bad shock too. There is a coating of oil on the shock that I'm trying to locate the source of. I do have some leaking I think from the pressure sender and my steering rack is a leaky mess (new one should arrive today). 5. I don't think this is the issue because I'm running a cat bypass without shield and a primary bypass as well Theres definitely movement up and down along the shock. When I replaced the sway bar bushings, the bolts holding the bushing strap were stripped from being slammed up and down. So I guess the issue is either he strut or extra play in the mount. I just ordered a rear strut mount (from the Southampton porsche dealer and the price was cheaper than anyplace online). Since I am at it maybe I should just replace the strut as well....

Quick Reply: Anyone have their rear shock mount fail?