Sponsored by:

Starter/Alternator tests

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 02:56 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,749 Posts
Default Starter/Alternator tests

So I have dropped the motor/tranny to fix some oil leaks.

I would like to test the starter and alternator while its out. Does anyone know the values to check?

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:25 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't know how to check a starter. I just had my starter totaly rebuilt because I noticed that it sometimes didn't engage when it got warm.

The alternator is easier to check, at least with the engine in the car. At idle you use a multimeter on the battery. It should read 13,5-14V and with more revs you should have +-14V. 14.1 is as new. My alternator just gave 13,0 before I got it rebulit last winter. How you test this with the alternator out of the car I don't know.

Thomas
Old 02-15-2015, 08:55 AM
cptnzero
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd check the alternator for play in the bearings, it's possible to DIY refurb an alternator but probably more cost effective to swap out if there is excessive play/bearing wear.

The starter is a fairly easy and cheap DIY refurb - I'd be inclined to strip, clean re-grease and also change out the brushes. - video here shows how http://://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJM2veUNBc0
Old 02-15-2015, 09:19 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

some auto zones etc can check an alternator for amperage output [it maybe stamped on the alternator] they may also be able to do an amperage draw on the starter.an auto electric shop in your area can check and rebuild or replace.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:55 AM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,749 Posts

linky no worky . . .

Originally Posted by cptnzero
I'd check the alternator for play in the bearings, it's possible to DIY refurb an alternator but probably more cost effective to swap out if there is excessive play/bearing wear.

The starter is a fairly easy and cheap DIY refurb - I'd be inclined to strip, clean re-grease and also change out the brushes. - video here shows how http://://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJM2veUNBc0
Old 02-15-2015, 08:44 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

The only thing that's easily serviceable on the alternator is the voltage regulator so you could change that if want. There are a lot of good YouTube videos on how to check the diodes. Check bearing play too. Be careful when you separate the fan from the alternator because if you damage the threads on the shaft, your buying a new alternator.
When I was re-sealing my engine my starter sat on a workbench in my garage for 11 months which was apparently just long enough for it to corrode to the point where it would barely turn when I bench tested it. I think auto parts stores can test starters but I've never had one tested.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:07 AM
cptnzero
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BHMav8r
linky no worky . . .

Quick Reply: Starter/Alternator tests