Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve timing & oil change question....

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 10:39 AM
james_marshall
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve timing & oil change question....

Hi folks - wonder if I can scratch some of your brains...
When I changed the oil earlier in the year I didn't get round to doing the timing....
The oil has done less than 1k miles and I hadn't planned on changing it this time around, but realise that I have to drain the 'case' to take the covers off the valves.
IF I just empty this part, and not the contents of the tank, is this ok? Am I likely to have a flow from the tank into the engine, or will it all be safe and sound in the tank?
That way, although I've bought enough for a complete change, I might beable it just put back in the same amount as I take out of the case....

Does this sound like a plan?
Thanks. James.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:30 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you jack and support one side of the car at a time and work on that bank, you won't need to drain any oil. When you're done, drop it down and do the other side. Leaning it over the height of an axle stand will do it. Position it as high as you feel comfortable. It also makes access easier.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:34 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The oil will migrate from the tank to the crank case, so you will need to drain both the case and the tank, and even then it will still drip it bit. Let it drain over night, and you are good to go in the morning.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:57 PM
james_marshall
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like it might be the whole lot that I loose then... It's my first go at timing and think I'd better stick to doing each valve in order... I'll be sure to loose my place if not!
Thanks for the advice though!
Old 12-04-2014, 04:09 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I would like to add, make sure you take the engine tin off on both sides, that makes the job so..... much easier, then the whole job can be done from below.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:53 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by james_marshall
Looks like it might be the whole lot that I loose then... It's my first go at timing and think I'd better stick to doing each valve in order... I'll be sure to loose my place if not!
Thanks for the advice though!
As per Rob's post above, I've removed the valve covers without draining oil. There's not really much in there. So long as you're not removing either the case plug or the tank plug, you shouldn't have a problem.

Quick Reply: Valve timing & oil change question....