Sponsored by:

Has the dust settled?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 11:00 AM
pantera43
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has the dust settled?

As we all know the prices of our beloved 964's have escalated. The asking prices and what cars have actually sold for are quite different.

Has the market settled down? I have a extremely clean 1991 C2 DE car that has 53xxx miles on her with all the usual track suspects including a recent fresh HPDE top end and Moton suspension. The car only gets two events a year, the rest of her time is used on early Sunday morning romps.

I'm reluctantly thinking about moving to a GT3. For those of you who have your hand on the pulse of realistic pricing of these cars what are the market values? For example a clean well maintained car say with 100,000 going for now a days?

Many thanks in advance,

Dan

PS Whats a post without pictures.
Attached Images  
Old 12-03-2014, 12:25 PM
964Lovac
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Not an expert by any means and I do wish prices stayed low... I think most fun cars don't really sell in the winter months and do better on the market in the spring and summer months.

If you're looking to sell I'd try and hold on until May, especially up in NY when folks get that first nice day
Old 12-03-2014, 12:27 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by pantera43
... I'm reluctantly thinking about moving to a GT3. ...
That's the only 911 I'd want after a 964. GLWS.
Nice VIR avatar picture!
Old 12-03-2014, 03:47 PM
lateforlunch
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was considering the same a year ago. In the end I couldnt bring myself to sell the 964 and just opted to add the GT3 in addition to. Im glad I did, watching the market from then until now makes me feel like Its appreciated ~$10K. They arent making any more 964's, whos to say they wont be worth 60K in a few years.

From what i've seen sell locally I dont think you should have any problem selling your (pictured) car in the $40-50K zone in the current market. IMO of course.

good luck,
Old 12-03-2014, 03:54 PM
pantera43
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dubjager and 911Jetta, very much appreciate your responses.

dubjager, here in NY we are only a few weeks before officially calling it Winter. The season is over. Perhaps your right and wait until Spring.

911Jetta, thanks! Why do I get the feeling you've been on track at VIR? Lol. I have a difficult time in making a committment to sell the car just yet. The GT3 would be the only reason to sell.

I'm just trying to get an idea of some realistic prices that my car might sell for.

Many thanks,

Dan

lateforlunch, I wish I could add to the stable but unfortunately one or the other. Thanks for your opinion and pricing. I just have to decide if the additional money needed to purchase the GT3 is really going to raaaise my fun factor of the additional cost.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:39 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by pantera43
...911Jetta, thanks! Why do I get the feeling you've been on track at VIR? Lol. I have a difficult time in making a committment to sell the car just yet. The GT3 would be the only reason to sell...
I've been there a couple times, but not since it's been repaved. It's a mega track for a 964 that's for sure. I was hitting 130/140 MPH on the two straightaways, that's pretty epic in a stock 964... as a beginner. Your car, with great suspension, tires and a good driver, just takes things to a much higher level.

My first GT3 ride came at VIR too. No better way to get your first taste of a GT3 than at a track!

Recently, RLers K964 and ilko each purchased a 997 GT3 MKII, so they can tell you first hand about the transition. I say do it, it's a big step up in performance, but still keeps most of the raw 964 feeling.

And the reason I instantly knew where your avatar pic was taken... I spent a good 1/2 hr. watching a modded 997TT and 997 GT3 RS chase a 997 Cup car. Amazing....
Old 12-03-2014, 05:15 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
I've been there a couple times, but not since it's been repaved. It's a mega track for a 964 that's for sure. I was hitting 130/140 MPH on the two straightaways, that's pretty epic in a stock 964... as a beginner. Your car, with great suspension, tires and a good driver, just takes things to a much higher level.

Recently, RLers K964 and ilko each purchased a 997 GT3 MKII, so they can tell you first hand about the transition. I say do it, it's a big step up in performance, but still keeps most of the raw 964 feeling.
I agree VIR is one fun track in the 964, Can't wait until the track build is done and head back down there. Although Ilko was kind enough to let me drive his GT3 the other day and it is a sweet ride the 8k redline is nice. Almost as fast as my turbo at WOT in a straight line without all the drama. He has to come back and let me have another go at it. There is definitely a huge difference between a 964 and a GT3 at speed. IMO if you can drive a 964 well on the track you should be able to handle the GT3 but take it slow for a while until you feel it out. Not like the early GT3's which were a handful.

I find we loose more GT3's at VIR than any other Porsche not sure why but it always appear to be at least two or three that don't make it home in one piece.

i came to the realization that the 964 was better returned to street duty myself and I am building a dedicated track car out of a 90 tub that will hopefully be able to keep the GT3's in my rear view mirror.

My C2 has been mostly converted back to stock and is in similar condition to yours I would not part with mine but I think with the market heading in the direction it is you should at least try to get $50k or more. If you can remove some of the track stuff and sell it separately. Although the changing market kills the value of race parts. Not many are buying 964's to track anymore.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:11 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts

Are 964 sale prices really affected by the winter months?

I keep on hearing about people who search for years before they find their 964s. So does that mean they stop searching in the winter.

My second "summer" car is a Nissan 350Z convertible. I can say with certainty that the sale price for that car is affected by the season it is offered for sale. It is because they are easy to find (right now there is at least 20 for sale in my city) so most buyers are able to want until spring to start buying them.

Even if we all don't agree on whether or not the 964 prices have peaked, we could agree that there are less and less of them and there are a finite small number of them for sale at any one point in time.

I was talking to a friend of mine who has been looking for a 964 for years. He says that the prices have now reached a point where he will not buy one.

Last edited by canuck964; 12-03-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:48 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Dan, you definitely have a sweet car! I've been thru a few 964s in my day and wish I would have kept all of them. Well, at least one. But I digress. Last Fall I snagged a 90 C2 and made it into a bit of a lightweight hotrod---pretty much gutted out and down to 2785lbs with a 1/4 tank of gas. It is an absolute blast to drive and puts a smile on my face each and every time I drive it. Not the fastest thing out there, but the handling is classic 911 feel and love the view over the front wings. She is a keeper for sure.

A few months ago I decided to add a 7.2-3 to the stable and was able to purchase a car that had slipped through my hands several years ago (I plead temporary insanity over that mistake). Well, all I can say is all is right in my life again. I had a 7.1-3 several years ago, but the new car just blows away any and all expectations of what a perfect all purpose Porsche should be. It just does everything just right. There are no "what ifs" with this car. Porsche hit a grand slam with this iteration: everything just feels perfect, from the acceleration to the suspension, the booming Sharkwerks pipe at 8000+ rpm, to the rip your eyes out of your skull brakes. Put 2000 miles on it in 7 weeks of driving and couldn't be happier. By far, the best car I have ever owned. This one is staying put as well.

There are similarities between the 964 and the GT3 and you absolutely can sense the pedigree and DNA when comparing the two. I've driven both back to back and get that **** eating grin almost immediately. Both are dual purpose cars, with the main difference being that the factory perfected the 3, while I massaged the 964 to make it more of what I wanted in a car. I will take both to the track for the casual DE as I still have my Cup for racing. The 964 allows you to row thru all the gears, still scare yourself, and stay relatively close to the posted speed limit. Third gear puts you in jail in the GT3 which means you really need to be aware of your surroundings. Things just happen so much quicker in this car. Had this discussion with Ilko a few weeks ago: you think you're doing 40mph, but then you look down at speedo and it says 90 mph. Ouch....

With all that said, if I could only have 1 car in my garage, it would be the GT3. It's got everything you would want in a car and will take years (if not a lifetime) to truly master. Last of the Mezgers. Last of the manuals. I tried the flappy paddles and was bored in 8 months. If you can swing it, I say go for it!!!

Mike

Old 12-03-2014, 09:08 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Originally Posted by K964
The 964 allows you to row thru all the gears, still scare yourself, and stay relatively close to the posted speed limit. Third gear puts you in jail in the GT3 which means you really need to be aware of your surroundings. Things just happen so much quicker in this car. Had this discussion with Ilko a few weeks ago: you think you're doing 40mph, but then you look down at speedo and it says 90 mph. Ouch....

With all that said, if I could only have 1 car in my garage, it would be the GT3. It's got everything you would want in a car and will take years (if not a lifetime) to truly master. Last of the Mezgers. Last of the manuals. I tried the flappy paddles and was bored in 8 months. If you can swing it, I say go for it!!!

Mike

I think the one issue I had and Ilko pointed it out but I didn't want to say anything is that the gearing is too tall and you can do 80 MPH in 2nd. The lack of interaction that you get from the 964 is the only negative I could see in the short drive I had that and 0 rear view with the crazies around here. It did remind me a lot more of my 3.6T than the C2. Kind of a combo of the two cars a more linear power curve and gobs of power just missing the crazy torque surge of the turbo but doesn't have the CIS quirkiness.

I would say the only real down side to the car is the center lock hubs which are a nightmare if you plan to track it. IIRC the requirement replacement interval is every 5k track miles. If you dual drive it it is a problem proving what track miles you have and how often they need to be replaced at a considerable expense.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:30 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
I think the one issue I had and Ilko pointed it out but I didn't want to say anything is that the gearing is too tall and you can do 80 MPH in 2nd. The lack of interaction that you get from the 964 is the only negative I could see in the short drive I had that and 0 rear view with the crazies around here. It did remind me a lot more of my 3.6T than the C2. Kind of a combo of the two cars a more linear power curve and gobs of power just missing the crazy torque surge of the turbo but doesn't have the CIS quirkiness.

I would say the only real down side to the car is the center lock hubs which are a nightmare if you plan to track it. IIRC the requirement replacement interval is every 5k track miles. If you dual drive it it is a problem proving what track miles you have and how often they need to be replaced at a considerable expense.
Valid points. The rear view, or lack there of, just means you need to stay focused on what's ahead. Haha. But also means a better radar detector from Santa....

As far as the center locks go, I would probably switch them over to 5 lug if it was going to be a track car. I've dealt with the center locks for 5 plus years on my Cup, but do realize the street version is different. Reminds me: I need to sell that extra 3/4 torque wrench in the garage.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:21 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

I've jumped into a 996 GT3 recently, and moved on from the 964. The 6-3 is simply a better all around car. The 964 looks better and is so much more fun at sane speeds. The sheer speed of the GT3's any iteration of the GT3 is insane. It does not suffer fools and will bite, especially the 6-3, as it doesn't have any nannies. It's all you, and it's soooooo alive and tactile. For me the 6-3 is the one to own. It's also insanely easy to work on when you learn about it and can do much of the work yourself, if you are so inclined. I also think now is the time to pick up a 6-3 as prices are going nowhere but up on those cars and are still considered bargains.

As to your original question, I think your car is worth $40-$45K in this market. Winter is not a great time to sell a car, unless your are on the West Coast. With 6-3 GT3's in the low $60's, it will be hard for the 964's to go much higher, unless of course you have an RSA.....that is now a totally different animal.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:33 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

In the past this was a $25-30k car.

Today people are asking $40-50k. (What RSA prices were not too long ago)

Good condition cars are indeed selling.
Overpriced old dogs have been sitting stale on the market.

The 964 is the last classic headlight 911 with luxury of coil over suspenison and ABS.
Prices for good examples will not go down. Look what people are paying for antique long hoods....

996 GT3 is a great bargin right now as they can be had in the $50s.

997 GT3 is strongly priced at $75-85k because the RS is $100k plus. (Prices are holding strong for no excuse cars and will continue over the next year.)
Old 12-03-2014, 11:39 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by canuck964
Are 964 sale prices really affected by the winter months?

I keep on hearing about people who search for years before they find their 964s. So does that mean they stop searching in the winter.

My second "summer" car is a Nissan 350Z convertible. I can say with certainty that the sale price for that car is affected by the season it is offered for sale. It is because they are easy to find (right now there is at least 20 for sale in my city) so most buyers are able to want until spring to start buying them.

Even if we all don't agree on whether or not the 964 prices have peaked, we could agree that there are less and less of them and there are a finite small number of them for sale at any one point in time.

I was talking to a friend of mine who has been looking for a 964 for years. He says that the prices have now reached a point where he will not buy one.
I find that in Canada or northern climates it is harder to find 964 for sale in winter because they are put away for hibernation. The last thing one wants to do is transport a 964 on a salty road thus buyer activity also drops during winter months.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:44 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Agree with the above posters: $40-45k to sell. And don't worry about "winter" selling. Tons of people looking year-round for a 964 C2. A good car will sell at any time. Be patient and realize that buyers will try to low ball you. Lots of bottom feeders out there. If your budget is $60k, figure 6-3. Add $20k to that figure for a great 7.1-3 and $20k on top of 7.1-3 price for a solid 7.2-3.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Has the dust settled?