Sell now or wait 'til Spring? UK 964 C2

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 01:55 PM
Lungauer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sell now or wait 'til Spring? UK 964 C2

Hi all,

For reasons too long winded to go into I am thinking of selling my 964 C2 manual. What I'm not sure about is whether it's wise to do it now or wait until Spring?

Any thoughts on the matter?
Old 11-25-2014, 02:43 PM
deadendd9009
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your car being a summer car will fetch a better price in the spring for sure! I'd hold it until spring.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:44 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are probably more buyers in spring but if prices remain flat there could also be more sellers, best to keep an eye on what's out there on the market and just put it up when there is a shortage of similar cars. I don't think anyone can predict how prices will trend in short term.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:15 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I am not certain that the 964 market is seasonal, at this point in time.
The only real reason to wait: the opportunity to change your mind.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:38 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

In my mind things have slowed down. Best to wait till spring. Cheers,
Old 11-25-2014, 07:47 PM
Zingari
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From my recent experience of people on another forum floating their idea of selling it has normally resulted in a sale 'off-line' where buyer and seller has been happy with the deal.

I lost a very good C4 at Christmas 2012 thinking it wouldn't sell and I could make an offer with the dealer. Mid-way between Christmas and New Year it sold for full ask. There was nothing out there at the time hence sellers market.

How many good C2s are there for sale at present - not many is my guess? How many buyers are there out there that want one - quite a few I suspect?

Whether the market will continue to rise over winter is anyone's guess but it will be based on supply and demand AND owners being realistic about values - which sadly some 993 owners dont seem to get especially when I want to buy one to go with the 964
Old 11-25-2014, 09:33 PM
NoSub Dan
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I was looking it didn't matter what time of year. Took me 7 months and I looked at a lot of crappy cars. If you have a good car you can get your price.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:24 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 428 Likes on 278 Posts

List it over market value. And sell it at that price in the spring. Prices are going higher.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:13 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

market has peaked.
If you have a buyer and are motivated to sell. Then move on it.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:39 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Originally Posted by NoSub Dan
When I was looking it didn't matter what time of year. Took me 7 months and I looked at a lot of crappy cars. If you have a good car you can get your price.
Originally Posted by Goughary
List it over market value. And sell it at that price in the spring. Prices are going higher.
Originally Posted by tcsracing1
market has peaked.
If you have a buyer and are motivated to sell. Then move on it.
Gents with all due respect, the UK market isn't the same as the US market.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:06 AM
hot66
Advanced

There are very very few nice C2's for sale in the uk

Probabally better to sell next spring, but there are people looking for cars all the time .
Old 11-26-2014, 05:52 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's what you price it at and not when which determines whether it sells. Too many people (mostly dealers) are asking too much for these cars in the UK at the moment.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:31 AM
hot66
Advanced

Originally Posted by boxsey911
It's what you price it at and not when which determines whether it sells. Too many people (mostly dealers) are asking too much for these cars in the UK at the moment.

true-ish, but as Ive found having gone through the buying process over recent months ... irrelevant of price, there just arn't the cars out there ( 964 C2 Manual Coupes )

People think you could go out and take your pick tomorrow, you can't. Also, unlike a newish car, you can't look at adverts for 3 different cars & assume they are all the same quality .. then pick one because you prefer maybe one owner less , or another because its got 75`k miles rather than 90K miles, or the other because its not red etc etc

Its time people start realising that these cars are upto 25 years old and the nice well maintained ones are being kept by their owners ( what would they replace them with at the £30K - £40K price point ? ) . These current owners , I don't believe are all going to sell at once, which leaves the market in the situation where demand for a nice C2 coupe is stonger than supply of good cars. There are enough out there in use still for people to see, want and talk about , but few factually for sale .

I'm convinced in years to come the 964 will become more desirable than 993's ( if it hasn't already) .. its the right mix of original styling but with that modern twist

If they do come back in price, it will be because the whole classic car / fun car market has collapsed.

.... I've also found the UK market is still potentially cheaper than the european market.

BTW, even I'm getting weary of all the talk on values of cars these days ... buy because you want one & sell it because you don't
Old 11-26-2014, 10:20 AM
Brideyo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lungauer
Hi all,

For reasons too long winded to go into I am thinking of selling my 964 C2 manual. What I'm not sure about is whether it's wise to do it now or wait until Spring?

Any thoughts on the matter?
OP is there an option to Mothball the car?
Just thinking its something that you may want to come back to at a later date and may regret selling now
Old 11-26-2014, 11:28 AM
Zingari
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hot66
BTW, even I'm getting weary of all the talk on values of cars these days ... buy because you want one & sell it because you don't
I'll second that chum. On 'the' UK forum if you reviewed all 993 threads nearly all talk about value, insistence on low mileage and then a reluctance to drive them for fear of knocking the value.

It's making me ill especially when I want to buy one and the Illuminati keep telling me a NB993 will cost me £35k+. That is until I point them in the dircetion of AutoTrader and one for sale at £25k

Quick Reply: Sell now or wait 'til Spring? UK 964 C2