Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone changing insurance coverage with increased value of your 964?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 10:24 AM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by newsboy
I have agreed value for 30K with American Collectors. Thinking of raising it to 35K at my next renewal.
Costs around $650.00 per year.
Wow your insurance is reasonable.

Up here in BC we have government insurance and my annual premium is over $2,000 per year and that is with the maximum safe drivers discount.

This is just regular insurance and is not agreed value.

I only put about 1,500 km or about 900 miles a year so it works out to over $2 per mile.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:57 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by mkd944
1) The Chubb website states that I must have at least 1 car over 30 years old to qualify. Will have to wait another 10 years for them.
Mike - This is true for their Collector Car coverage, but you can still get coverage with them. I have Chubb and an Agreed Value with them, the main difference being that you may have to provide an appraisal to justify a high value.

My 964 is insured for $30K and there are no restrictions on my coverage, I can drive as many miles per year as I want, I can commute to work, or I can even go run some errands. I am thinking of upping my Agreed Value and my beef with this is that the underwriter can only go 20% above book value, and I am already way beyond that at my current AV. So, they are asking for an appraisal which quite annoying when you have rising values like the ones we are experiencing.

Lastly since I am in MN, I send my agent a quick email when I put the car in storage and before I take it out to change my coverage accordingly.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:30 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by canuck964
Wow your insurance is reasonable.

Up here in BC we have government insurance and my annual premium is over $2,000 per year and that is with the maximum safe drivers discount.

This is just regular insurance and is not agreed value.

I only put about 1,500 km or about 900 miles a year so it works out to over $2 per mile.
Canuck, that seems VERY high. I normally insure my car for 7 month, and this year with full coverage and maximum safe drivers discount, I paid $680, that works out to under $1200/year.
I will give Hagerty a try for next year, just got a quote for "agreed value" @ $ 40 000 for an annual premium of $613, then I still have to add ICBC basic insurance.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:10 PM
mkd944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LPMM
Mike - This is true for their Collector Car coverage, but you can still get coverage with them.
Thanks LPMM. I was looking at the Collector Car website and that was where it told me that I must have at least 1 car that is 30 years old or older. Googling Chubb Agreed Value Insurance show lots of other Chubb sites and some talk about agreed value insurance but I didn't see any that had a price quote tool. Looks like I would have to contact them by phone to get more info.

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 11-02-2014, 09:10 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,673 Posts

Originally Posted by BHMav8r
I originally called Leland West (The agreed value guys) and they said they would not do agreed value. WTF its what you advertise! So I went with another carrier with an AV of $25,000. Ive been thinking lately I should up it to $35,000. Not sure how they would respond with rates/coverage.
Originally Posted by cobracarrera
I have my car insured with Leland (live in Georgia) with agreed value of $24,000. I will increase it when it come time for renewal. I was with Grundy but they have it where the policy needs to be paid in full where Leland has it in installments (only reason I switched). I have my 1990 C2 (av $24,000) and my 2004 Cobra (av $24,000) insured with them with agreed value.

Are you sure you had a knowledgeable CSR rep? Something doesn't sound right.
You're probably right, but when I asked her and she says no, and I ask her if shes sure and that's what Leland West is known for and Im reading her ad right out of the Porsche magazine and she says NO . . . . I guess I could have asked for someone else, but I just turned it over to my insurance agent.

I currently use Grundy - they have upped the AV to $30,000 over the years for $425 annually, 2000mi and locked residential garage.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:38 AM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by crg53
Canuck, that seems VERY high. I normally insure my car for 7 month, and this year with full coverage and maximum safe drivers discount, I paid $680, that works out to under $1200/year.
I will give Hagerty a try for next year, just got a quote for "agreed value" @ $ 40 000 for an annual premium of $613, then I still have to add ICBC basic insurance.

I think costs vary based on location also. Lower mainland is probably highest,
Old 06-05-2015, 10:38 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Been looking to switch to agreed value and am just getting around to it. I was reading about LeLand and the 'errands' provision bothers me. How do they define 'errands'? If I'm picking up my kid from sports and want to take the Porsche so I enjoy the drive, is that an errand or a pleasure drive?

Anyone have any thoughts or input?

Thanks,
-Skip
Old 06-05-2015, 10:57 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm still trying to decide what the proper insurance would be to get. Some one mentioned car show insurance.

I'm also pissed about the plates. Here in Michigan it's based on the original value. So it cost me close to $300 to get plate on her. Wonder if classic plates would be a better option.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:27 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by DobermanDad
I'm still trying to decide what the proper insurance would be to get. Some one mentioned car show insurance.

I'm also pissed about the plates. Here in Michigan it's based on the original value. So it cost me close to $300 to get plate on her. Wonder if classic plates would be a better option.
Regarding "non traditional" insurance insurance, you have to read the restrictions. Every insurer has different rules, so make sure you understand them. There is a thread on the 993 board discussing various insurers and agreed values.

About the plates, it depends on your State requirements but worth looking into it. Here in MN we are pretty lucky, I have Collector plates which means no sales tax on the vehicle purchase, and a $95 one time fee with no yearly registration. The only requirement from the state is that you must have another vehicle with "regular" plates and you need to repay the sales tax if you sell your car within a year of purchase.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:47 PM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Gonna check out if they have that in Michigan. Seems ridiculous to have to pay that everything.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:02 PM
Norse_man
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by swftiii
Been looking to switch to agreed value and am just getting around to it. I was reading about LeLand and the 'errands' provision bothers me. How do they define 'errands'? If I'm picking up my kid from sports and want to take the Porsche so I enjoy the drive, is that an errand or a pleasure drive?

Anyone have any thoughts or input?

Thanks,
-Skip
Just stop and pick up tooth paste or a pack of gum each time you go out for a ride. Save the receipt and there's your errand. lol

Quick Reply: Is anyone changing insurance coverage with increased value of your 964?