Sponsored by:

Access to Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 09:11 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Access to Oil Cooler

My mechanic suggested that part of my "running too warm/hot" problem could be that there is a bunch of debris blocking to cooling power of my oil cooler. Can anyone offer some tips on how to get at it for me before I start removing under car panels and what not?

Thanks
Old 08-18-2003, 11:11 PM
ckkrause
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

R Montgomery-

I just went through the process of figuring out why I seemed to run a little hot and took a long time to cool down when in motion. The cooling fan circuit worked fine... but I found that the oil cooler did need to be cleaned out and that helped bring the overall temp down. I also found that some baffles in the area around the cooler were letting much of the air flow go around the cooler rather than through it. Once I replaced the baffling, the car cooled down very quickly. The combination of cleaning the gunk out (79,000 miles) and replacing the baffling brought back the cooling system I had expected when I bought the car. Items 12 & 13 in the attached drawing, "Front Bumper 964" are the baffles I replaced. To gain access to the cooler area, you remove items 31, then 38 from below (as shown in the same drawing), and also remove the front liner from the front passenger side wheel well. You can either pull the whole cooler and fan assembly, (not easy!!) or remove a small metal panel attached to the side of the oil cooler to gain limited access to the front of the oil cooler. Personally, I first used a brush to lightly scrub the front of the cooler through that gap and then blasted away from the back side of the cooler with a focused stream of water and ended when I could see clearly through all areas of the cooler. Well worth the effort and only took a couple of hours. Good stuff and good luck!!!

-CKKrause
Attached Images  
Old 08-19-2003, 12:30 AM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

Sir you are indeed both a scholar and a gentleman. Thanks for taking the time to explain all of that.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:29 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey, sorry to bump an old thread, but does anyone have experience with those pieces that ckkrause mentioned?

#12 - 96457533900 - Sealing Wedge

and

#13 - 96457533700 - Sealing Wedge

I currently have my front bumper off and my car did not have these pieces installed, however I do see some faint signs of where they were stuck onto the inside of the front bumper on the oil cooler and condenser side at one time.

I was also browsing some of 911Jetta's photos from when he removed his front bumper and I see he didn't have these pieces either.
https://picasaweb.google.com/udoreis...68003367243314

Like on my bumper, on 911Jetta's bumper, you can see the area where these pieces were attached next to the parking light buckets.

My google searching leads me to believe that these pieces are made out of foam.

Perhaps they have crumbled to dust with age?

Anyone w/ more experience that can chime in here?
The following users liked this post:
kos11-12 (08-19-2021)
Old 07-22-2012, 06:58 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I ordered the pieces from Pelican. 1 piece is $4 and the other is $21, and you need a set for each side.

So $50 of molded foam that will eventually fail. I might make some patterns of the new pieces to perhaps make some pieces out of more durable material for the long run.
The following users liked this post:
kos11-12 (08-19-2021)

Quick Reply: Access to Oil Cooler