Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to know if enough interest in Singer style shift knobs

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 05:05 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I received my Corian shift **** today from Elihu and it is beautiful. I chose the shorter version just like StreetDaddy so more of the stainless steel rod would be visible. I plan to test fit it shortly on my car. Thanks again for all the time people have spent researching ideas and finding solutions.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:43 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

bump re corian weight please chaps!
Old 11-30-2014, 02:18 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

My Corian from Elihu arrived yesterday and have it only 'test fit' while I wait for the sleeve.
I'll take it upstairs and put it on the kitchen scales this weekend.

I received my Corian shift **** today from Elihu and it is beautiful. I chose the shorter version just like StreetDaddy so more of the stainless steel rod would be visible. I plan to test fit it shortly on my car. Thanks again for all the time people have spent researching ideas and finding solutions.
Poli84 & mmporsche,

I'm pleased you have both got fixed up and are happy with your new shift *****, I hope to have mine fitted soon.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 11-30-2014, 08:45 PM
Poli84
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HiWind
bump re corian weight please chaps!
Sorry mate, busy weekend.
Will get it done tonight and let you know.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:47 PM
Poli84
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmporsche
I'm thinking the shorter **** would have been better also.
I recommend this for others about to order from Elihu.

Will post up photos once my 74mm is properly installed with the sleeve from SD.
Think enough silver sleeve will still be visible for desired affect.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:21 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetdaddy
Here is my final solution. I am happy with it. Will keep up with you guys to see if you come up with something better. Elihu was great to work with.
Awesome
Old 11-30-2014, 10:35 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Poli,

You can always get yours cut down later. Mine was a 75mm originally that he cut down to 65mm IIRC.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:07 PM
dlegault
AutoX

I've got a corian **** coming from Elihu as well, in 65mm. I'll weigh it and report back once it arrives.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:25 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

For all of those who received a corian **** from Elihu, could someone please weigh it for comparison to the wood and Dansk ones?

As for Lathewerks, a few members have PM'd and emailed me regarding an update, so here it is. I have been emailing back and forth with Chris for weeks, which takes a while and can be a little frustrating at times. He doesn't provide a phone number but he has all of my numbers and a simple phone call would have definitely sped things up IMO, but it is what it is. Last Monday following additional questions from Chris, I emailed him photos with detailed measurements and requirements of what I am looking for and I have not heard back from him. I followed up mid week but still nothing, so I will do so again today. I am still hoping he will come through because I think it would make for a sweet setup. The suspense is killing me!
Old 12-05-2014, 04:13 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Good news... Chris just replied to my emails and mentioned that he is doing a new CAD drawing for the 911 to use as a starting point. I am not sure if he is using my notes and pics as a reference, but we'll see and we'll use what he produces as a starting point. Chris has a full time job as an engineer and this is his side business where he wears all the hats (design, marketing, sales, etc...), so I understand to some degree. However, this back and forth coupled with selective reading is definitely testing my patience. Anyway, we're moving forward (albeit at a snail's pace) and this is what matters.

Here is what I sent Chris last week so that anyone interested can chime in. First, I asked him to let me know if a metal sphere with a copolymer skin (outer layer) could be produced to achieve the desired weight while keeping temperature swings at bay. He has what he calls a hybrid version and I am awaiting to see if this would be the same. Then I sent him the following requirements based on my shifter:
  • The heavier the feel, the better
  • The sphere and collar need to be black, and the extension stainless looking.
  • 3.25" long x 1" diameter SS extension, keyed to the flat OEM shifter rod, with a set screw at the bottom to catch the hole in the OEM shifter rod (hidden by the leather boot), and male threads at the top to accept the collar.
  • 2" in diameter copolymer (or other material we agree on) sphere with a 0.75" long x 1" diameter collar. Sphere/collar can be a single piece or 2 separate pieces depending on fabrication challenges or what would make it easier to accept different ***** in the future.
I would also want the shift pattern and I asked him about his engraving but with a little larger pattern than what he produces so that it comes closer the ring (see pic below). I also took some of his pictures, modified them to suit, added dimensions, made comments where necessary, and included them in my email to him last week. I decided to make the overall height roughly 1.5" taller than stock not only to show a little more of the SS extension but to also bring the shifter closer to the steering wheel. Onto the pics and let me know your thoughts, comment, likes, dislikes, etc...

964ShifterDims1 by LPMM66, on Flickr

964ShifterDims2 by LPMM66, on Flickr

Last edited by LPMM; 02-06-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:17 PM
sc
Racer

Terrific update Laurent! Progress is better than none at all. Thanks!
Old 12-05-2014, 06:11 PM
1st State 993
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

The images look great. Will this fit a 993, and if so can it be engraved with a 6-speed pattern?
Old 12-05-2014, 06:47 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1st State 993
The images look great. Will this fit a 993, and if so can it be engraved with a 6-speed pattern?
Yes, it should fit the 993s and Chris already has a **** that is keyed to the 911 shifter, but my idea is to have the stainless extension keyed to the shifter instead of the **** and with threads at the top so that it can accept any ****. That way, if you choose to change the look down the road it would be an easy swap, just screw old **** off and new one on. Once we have a final prototype done, I'll update here and then cross post in the 993 forum to gauge interest and see if we can get a group buy together.

As far as rings, engraving, colors, materials, this will be up to each individual to choose their finish. There is a huge thread on NASIOC to give you an idea of what folks have requested, from shift patterns to custom logos to various finishes.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:35 PM
dlegault
AutoX

Elihu shipped mine out today. I expect it early next week, and I'll weigh it and reply once I have it.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:40 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Looks great Laurent ... awesome .... how much taller than stock RS height would your installed shifter be? I looks like about 2" right?

Now! ..... would one of you Corian b*st@#$ds stop driving around grinning (fondling?) with your ****
and weigh it already!

Quick Reply: Need to know if enough interest in Singer style shift knobs