Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   Need to know if enough interest in Singer style shift knobs (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/838759-need-to-know-if-enough-interest-in-singer-style-shift-knobs.html)

Streetdaddy 10-13-2014 11:48 PM

Need to know if enough interest in Singer style shift knobs

1 Attachment(s)
I have been looking like crazy for the last month for a shift knob upgrade that is worthy of our cars. I think i have found it. But in order for him to make a run, i would need to see how many people would be interested. He said around 50 is the magic # to make it worthwhile for him to do it.
I bought an old replica glossy Dansk model with the intention of replacing the incorrect shift pattern. Well, i read and came to the same conclusion that it is too light and doesn't feel substantial enough. Looks pretty, but the weight is all wrong.
So, i came upon this knob. It looks great, and has a nice weight/feel to it.. You would need the $20 928 motorsport adapter and a stainless steel shaft cover to complete the package. I am planning to cut off my knob and use the oem boot to round out the look. What do you guys think? Anyone be up for a group buy? Here is a pic of a knob he made for the older shift pattern....Attachment 1237401

sc 10-13-2014 11:54 PM

Subscribed. Sounds good!

Mr.Alex 10-13-2014 11:55 PM

I would be in considering how the whole package comes together. You handled this knob in person? (no pun intended). Also, in terms of getting the shaft on, how are you planning to secure it to the oem rod, something like grub screws?

Streetdaddy 10-14-2014 12:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the mock setup i did with the Dansk. It would be same the same size, look,but with a better feel. I have no interest financially, just want a great knob. Not feasible for them to make just one knob for me. I think there is a demand, but need to see if i'm right. Anyone else want one of these?Attachment 1237402

Please excuse the ratty carpet, i am trying to find a pesky water leak. The paper towel is just a stand in for the bottom of a shift boot i will cut and fold under.

Streetdaddy 10-14-2014 12:03 AM

Mr Alex, i think if you found the right size piece, all you would need to do is tap it down over the shift lever . The shaft bumps out slightly when it goes into the rubber shift boot, so it won't move once the knob is attached . The beauty of all this is it is totally reversible! Can put the stock shaft back on in about 30 seconds!

Tmistry 10-14-2014 12:07 AM

I'm in, depending on overall cost.

Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist

Streetdaddy 10-14-2014 12:08 AM

I'll try and see how much tomorrow. I think he is afraid he would make up 50-100 and we would buy like 6,lol!

LPMM 10-14-2014 12:10 AM

X2 on cost, also would this be a complete kit (w/ SS shaft) or just the knob?

Streetdaddy 10-14-2014 12:17 AM

Could do either way. Would be nice if he made a kit. I think it would be easy for him to make a ss shaft cover cut to the correct length. Would save us the trouble to source it ourselves.

Streetdaddy 10-14-2014 12:25 AM

Mr Alex, no i have not felt the actual knob yet. The guy who makes these has an older 912 and has had the lighter style knob and says this one feels way better and shifts more solid. Having the Dansk repro, i believe him. It is so light, it feels like a toy. I imagine the extra heft of this knob would give it a better tactile feel. He is sending me one tomorrow to try, so i will report back when i get it mounted.

sc 10-14-2014 12:26 AM

I prefer a complete kit. Otherwise it might sit in the "unfinished" bin to eternity. 😉

Streetdaddy 10-14-2014 12:27 AM

I agree the Dansk looks closer to the Singer knob, but the extra weight makes this one the one to get ,imho.

onceover 10-14-2014 12:30 AM

May be in pending pricing

Streetdaddy 10-14-2014 12:30 AM

I like to keep all my stock parts in a bin just in case the next owner want to return to stock. So i bought a used black shift boot to use as the boot. Will cut off the top and fold it under to show as much shaft as possible.

Streetdaddy 10-14-2014 12:32 AM

C'mon, guys! I'm guessing under $100, you handle this thing every time you drive the car!