Sponsored by:

Porsches 964 RSA "Recognition"

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 09:40 AM
rdean
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsches 964 RSA "Recognition"

Not a rant just some serious legitimate thought.
What can/should be done to objectively provide confirming evidence to the European brethren that an Porsche RSA is an "RS" member of the Porsche RS family.
It's name is factory given. It's specs are superior to the standard C2/C4. Vic Elford inspired, ect...

It a little frustrating to see in TOTAL 911 magazine that a 964 C2 has a higher rating than an RSA. One would think at least as equivalent.

Maybe a head to head "competition" against a C2, 3.2, 964 RS and 993. Settle it once and for all.
Maybe Total911 should do an interview with Keith of RSAmerica.net?
I'll offer up my RSA for the competition both dynamic and static perspectives.

Rdean
Old 10-13-2014, 10:06 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can I drive???
Old 10-13-2014, 11:39 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by rdean
Not a rant just some serious legitimate thought.
What can/should be done to objectively provide confirming evidence to the European brethren that an Porsche RSA is an "RS" member of the Porsche RS family.
It's name is factory given. It's specs are superior to the standard C2/C4. Vic Elford inspired, ect...

Rdean
Hate to say it but nothing. It is not a brother to the RS or a superior car to the C2.

The RSA was a PCNA marketing ploy and not Porsche AG inspired. It is a C2 with a manual steering rack and limited options. IMO the only RSA worth spending extra on is a car without the sunroof, radio or A/C options.

Both the RSA and C2 are great cars they have the same power output. Unless you have the Sunroof and A/C delete there is minimal weight savings and is no faster.

Nothing against the RSA but it should not command the premiums it is seeing over a similar C2. It was $10 k less when new and if anything should command a small premium over a comparable C2 if it is optioned properly just because it has its own VIN and is limited production. You are paying for name alone and to consider a brother to the RS is a mistake.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:43 AM
KaiB
Banned

Anthony, Anthony, Anthony....

You forgot the seam welding and the crinkled underhood paint...
Old 10-13-2014, 11:48 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KaiB
Anthony, Anthony, Anthony....

You forgot the seam welding and the crinkled underhood paint...
So my 93 has crinkled under hood paint and a factory RSA tail can I badge it as an RSA and sell it for twice as much? LOL

It has rolled fenders too.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:51 AM
KaiB
Banned

DANG!!!!

I forgot the rolled fenders.

Why THANK you.

(I still want to drive)
Old 10-13-2014, 12:18 PM
Jbarnes RS
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Not a rant just some serious legitimate thought. What can/should be done to objectively provide confirming evidence to the European brethren that an Porsche RSA is an "RS" member of the Porsche RS family. It's name is factory given. It's specs are superior to the standard C2/C4. Vic Elford inspired, ect... It a little frustrating to see in TOTAL 911 magazine that a 964 C2 has a higher rating than an RSA. One would think at least as equivalent. Maybe a head to head "competition" against a C2, 3.2, 964 RS and 993. Settle it once and for all. Maybe Total911 should do an interview with Keith of RSAmerica.net? I'll offer up my RSA for the competition both dynamic and static perspectives. Rdean
If you have driven a real RS you would understand.

A few years ago an X Games rally racer buddy of mine drove my RSA and real RS back to back for over an hour. He is a Subaru guy with a street M3. He fell in love with the RS.......

His conclusion was they drove like totally different cars. No similarities what so ever. He was shocked that production cars that looked the same could drive so different. His first thought was why would a company ever make an RSA. Who would buy it after driving an RS?

Only difference to a C2 is the manual rack.

PCNA understands that most of there customers want to have a limited production car that will stand out at the local Cars and Coffee. They hit a home run with the RSA.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:53 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

RSAs selling for six-figures isn't enough recognition?
Old 10-13-2014, 01:59 PM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Total 911

It a little frustrating to see in TOTAL 911 magazine that a 964 C2 has a higher rating than an RSA. One would think at least as equivalent.
The RSA was recently included in the Total 911 data file, and is given the same 2.5 out of 5 score as the C2. I'm guessing that you must be comparing the RS to RSA ratings which are 3.5 and 2.5 respectively.

I wouldn't take the Total 911 data file too seriously. They state that each model is rated according to their performance, handling, appearance and desirability. However, when you look at the ratings, for the most part they give high scores for low production #s, popularity trends, $ worth and for newer models (997, 991). I agree that the newer models will have better performance and handling, but appearance and desirability are personal traits that depend on the individual, so this is where Total 911 IMHO tends to give higher ratings to low production #s, popularity trends, $ worth models.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:30 PM
fizzledorf
Advanced

Wondering how a properly built RSA or C2 would compare to a standard RS?

Suppose you get rid of the heavy RSA seats and replace them with any good racing seats, rebuild the 3.6 to closer to 300 whp, and upgrade the brakes, then potentially shed a few lbs here and there (my RSA is a non-sunroof option, so there's a few lbs). Throw a 1/2 cage and remove the weird speaker / storage box in the back.
Throw on some proper suspension / coilovers and RS sway bars.

I wonder if my FrankenRSA at some point will feel comparable to what a standard RS is like???

Need to drive an RS ASAP. Anyone feel like offering up there beautiful / rare / expensive aircooled car to other members to hoon around in?
Old 10-13-2014, 02:41 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fizzledorf
Wondering how a properly built RSA or C2 would compare to a standard RS?

Suppose you get rid of the heavy RSA seats and replace them with any good racing seats, rebuild the 3.6 to closer to 300 whp, and upgrade the brakes, then potentially shed a few lbs here and there (my RSA is a non-sunroof option, so there's a few lbs). Throw a 1/2 cage and remove the weird speaker / storage box in the back.
Throw on some proper suspension / coilovers and RS sway bars.

I wonder if my FrankenRSA at some point will feel comparable to what a standard RS is like???

Need to drive an RS ASAP. Anyone feel like offering up there beautiful / rare / expensive aircooled car to other members to hoon around in?
You just described my C2. What it lacks that the RS has is the seam welding. That is the critical aspect that gives the RS a superior feel. The C2 and RSA have far too much flex that the welding eliminates. Adding a full welded in roll cage would get you closer to the feel of an RS.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:50 PM
hockenheimr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's with the crinkled underhood paint? I have that and I think I even have that in the fenders.....just thought it was part of the galvanizing process.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:54 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Hate to say it but nothing. It is not a brother to the RS or a superior car to the C2.

The RSA was a PCNA marketing ploy and not Porsche AG inspired. It is a C2 with a manual steering rack and limited options. IMO the only RSA worth spending extra on is a car without the sunroof, radio or A/C options.

Both the RSA and C2 are great cars they have the same power output. Unless you have the Sunroof and A/C delete there is minimal weight savings and is no faster.

Nothing against the RSA but it should not command the premiums it is seeing over a similar C2. It was $10 k less when new and if anything should command a small premium over a comparable C2 if it is optioned properly just because it has its own VIN and is limited production. You are paying for name alone and to consider a brother to the RS is a mistake.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:55 PM
fizzledorf
Advanced

@cobalt

Have you compared your RS inspired build to that of a Standard RS? Can you say with certainty that it's the seam welding? I imagine 99% can be accomplished through proper suspension and chassis set-up
Old 10-13-2014, 03:18 PM
rdean
Instructor

Ok. Lets be wary of "Franken-P cars". Lets say 2 reasonable modifications allowed, like suspension and exhaust or Chip and brakes or Chip and suspension. So the field may be a little narrower on performance basis. Or maybe just go completely factory stock for comparison, C2 vs RSA vs RS.
How to evaluate. A track would be best, maybe a public back road course, autocross course?
Run 3 individual laps, lowest cumulative time for the 3 cycles wins.
How else?
At the conclusion we write an article for publication to settle the discussion.

Quick Reply: Porsches 964 RSA "Recognition"