Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door creaks 964

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 10:09 AM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reinforcement kit completely saved my passenger door - the metal around was bent it was starting to crack the metal and the bolts were pushed flush with the metal - had to +hyper-extend" the door open to grab the 10mm bolt and take off the old strap. The reinforcement kit sandwiched the bent metal and now my doors close as they should.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:22 AM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Ok, so WTF. I got the reinforcement kit from Pelican and it doesn't work. I'm wondering if my doors have previously been reinforced or something; the instructions suggest that the second reinforcement plate (the one that is sandwiched between the door and the car) may "fall into the door" but that's basically impossible as if it were to fall, it would fall onto the ground. Furthermore, there isn't enough space to actually close the door (or for that matter for the longer bolts to secure everything together) with the outer plate and the allen bolt heads sticking out.

Contacted Pelican, but wondering if anyone here has an idea of what I'm talking about.

Will post pictures tomorrow if that helps.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:59 AM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

There should be a space between where the door strap attaches and the outside metal of the door frame - the reinforcement kit CAN fall between - I somehow managed to lose a screw in the space! If there is no space and all smooth - I wonder if there was a previous repair / weld done? Pics would be great. Do both doors look the same?
Old 02-15-2015, 01:36 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Hey Doc,

See below. The second plate doesn't fit inside the groove which appears to be pinch welded so that nothing can "fall into the door", which makes it protrude out and would never be able to close...

Old 02-16-2015, 11:58 AM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Looks like yours has been modified in the past - maybe just use the one plate on the inside and get the largest diameter washers that will fit? Cutting the plate to fit won't be fun... When you open and close the door does the welded area move or buckle at all?

Quick Reply: Door creaks 964