Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused :( Right TC Tensioner function?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 06:42 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Confused :( Right TC Tensioner function?

Hi All,

Am in process of TC gasket and Tensioner gasket replacement. Learning a lot about my car (94 C4 WB). As I installed the tensioner gaskets, the right (bottom loc) tensioner cap appears same as left with two ports matching gaskets.... Good so far ... I go to fit and secure and notice the under side of TC housing to receive cap only has ONE port ??? So, effectively, one side of Tensioner cap is permanently blocked??? Can anyone offer to educate me please?

Thanks,

Matthew
Old 10-06-2014, 07:09 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I swear when I had them off on my '91, the caps appear identical and both had two ports across from the fasterer holes. I didn't have them both off simultaneously, so I didn't do a side-by-side comparison.

Per the PET diagram on DCAuto, it does specify a R & L part # for the Turbo (M64.50) motor, but the Carrera motor only has 1 part number that appears to be superseded to a 993 part #.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:44 AM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Vandit,

To further explain myself, the caps and gaskets both appear the same with two holes/ports.... It's the housing they mount to? The left top mount has two matching holes, the right housing, however, has only ONE hole, effectively, rendering the right bottom cap a ONE hole pony? In other words, the housing needs another hole drilled in it? I wonder if due to bottom mount and oil needing to flow upwards, the pressure needed to be higher, i.e., one port more pressure.... I don't have friendliest relationship with local Porsche dealer to ask their input . I am just concerned I have a defective casting of right housing....

If anybody reading tackled tensioner gasket on right bottom, please get back to me with what your 964 shows ...

Thanks, Matthew

TensionerHousingBottomRight

TensionerHousingTopLeft

TensionerLeftCap

Last edited by C4inLA; 10-07-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:53 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Pics added.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:38 AM
cptnzero
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty sure that on the bottom tensioner there is only one port on the cam tower even though gaskets etc are the same. also the tensioner is shorter on that side.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:10 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Greeting from across the Pond. Really appreciate the info. I was just about to approach the friendly Parts Chaps at Sunset Porsche with the dilemma.. I'm mov'in on to TC covers and Valve adjustment.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Confused :( Right TC Tensioner function?