Sponsored by:

C2 to RS Spec - or is it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 06:09 PM
Barty964rst
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Nice one Simon. I remember that car many years ago when the owner, Jay, bought it along to one of my Curborough days.
Was told it had never been tracked!

Originally Posted by Brideyo
Nice one Simon great little collection of cars enjoy
Boys and Toys, one Porsche nearer my next one!

Originally Posted by bigunit_271078
Very tidy mate
Cheers Andrew, need to find out from you where you got the front if yours protected. It has just come out of the spray shop!

Originally Posted by Rephlex
Superb
Thanks!

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
I remember a magazine article about the car. After reading that, I knew my 964 could be made into whatever I wanted. I'm sure its inspired a lot of builds since!

It's a nice freedom to have. It's going to be fun watching what you do. I hope you can't control yourself and start to go mod crazy with this one.

Make sure to join up with the L90 guys too!
The article was 2007 (shock, time flies) came with the car History! Will get to know it a bit before starting on any changes.
Maybe I'll give those L90 Lads body swerve, they are a bunch of weirdo's!!!
Old 10-07-2014, 04:21 AM
mf_rsr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good! Must be some change in the touring envelope for a 3.8ltr and other goodies....
Old 10-07-2014, 05:58 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Barty964rst
Was told it had never been tracked!
only lightly

Old 10-07-2014, 06:22 AM
Barty964rst
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mf_rsr
Looking good! Must be some change in the touring envelope for a 3.8ltr and other goodies....
The Engine is a slightly breathed on RS spec, so it is claimed to be pushing out 300bhp. It does feel similar to my 993 RS in power and banding of the delivery. When it needs a refresh then yes, will consider but knowing how strong these engines are could be a while away yet!

Originally Posted by boxsey911
only lightly

I have loads of pics f the car on the track with front wheel lifted, so I know its been around the block (quickly!) a bit.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:50 PM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

Paintshield at Peterborough for the paint protection film. Quality stuff.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:51 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Paintshield at Peterborough for the paint protection film. Quality stuff.
Or Topaz Detailing in London. They use the same advanced films and have stolen the head fitter from Paintshield - I'm happy with the film they've done on my car.

In fact I'd say they're design work is better.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:46 PM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BLACK-BETTY
Or Topaz Detailing in London. They use the same advanced films and have stolen the head fitter from Paintshield - I'm happy with the film they've done on my car.

London much closer
Old 10-07-2014, 05:34 PM
Barty964rst
Rennlist Member

Thanks Frank, will call Topaz D!
London much closer
The fit was so good on your 964 Andrew, I didn't realise for a while there was a film applied. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:36 PM
Barty964rst
Rennlist Member

Does anyone know or used a wheel restorer for BBS wheels - Mag centres on mine so not just standard powder coating. Thanks for any suggestions in advance.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:39 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Does anyone know or used a wheel restorer for BBS wheels - Mag centres on mine so not just standard powder coating. Thanks for any suggestions in advance.
Quite a few of the L9O guys have used Elie from Voodoo Motorsport. Top fella and great work.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:34 AM
Jamie Summers
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quite a few of the L9O guys have used Elie from Voodoo Motorsport. Top fella and great work.
I dropped my E28 BBS Mags in with them on Saturday. I got a very good feeling that they knew what they were talking about, and were happy to accommodate my own bugbears, such as keeping the hub-mounting surface and wheel nut wells clear of powder coat.

I am getting them to chrome powder coat the lips for durability. Mine are track wheels, and while the finish may not be quite as bright as a polished finish, they should prove to be much more durable. They definitely advised against lacquering a polished lip, which I agree with for track use.

They showed me a set of E28s just finished for another customer, which looked lovely. They had gone for Subaru BBS gold, which is a little darker than the factory BBS gold. I have requested the factory BBS gold, which may be a few quid more, but I think will look better.

The only issue I have is that they use BJV for the powder coating - I have used BJV in the past and was pleased enough with the refurbs on two sets of boggo Cup 1s (powder coated black with diamond cut lips), but less happy with the refurb of my RS Mags (didn't last well). Whilst they claim to know how to deal with magnesium properly, I'm not convinced they really do. As we're only talking the centres on the BBS wheels I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt, and take confidence from the fact that Voodoo are on-site and able to supervise the processing of "their" wheels.

I will let you know how I get on with them.........

Jamie
Old 10-08-2014, 04:26 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jamie Summers
I dropped my E28 BBS Mags in with them on Saturday. I got a very good feeling that they knew what they were talking about, and were happy to accommodate my own bugbears, such as keeping the hub-mounting surface and wheel nut wells clear of powder coat. I am getting them to chrome powder coat the lips for durability. Mine are track wheels, and while the finish may not be quite as bright as a polished finish, they should prove to be much more durable. They definitely advised against lacquering a polished lip, which I agree with for track use. They showed me a set of E28s just finished for another customer, which looked lovely. They had gone for Subaru BBS gold, which is a little darker than the factory BBS gold. I have requested the factory BBS gold, which may be a few quid more, but I think will look better. The only issue I have is that they use BJV for the powder coating - I have used BJV in the past and was pleased enough with the refurbs on two sets of boggo Cup 1s (powder coated black with diamond cut lips), but less happy with the refurb of my RS Mags (didn't last well). Whilst they claim to know how to deal with magnesium properly, I'm not convinced they really do. As we're only talking the centres on the BBS wheels I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt, and take confidence from the fact that Voodoo are on-site and able to supervise the processing of "their" wheels. I will let you know how I get on with them......... Jamie
Indeed, the wheels you saw were probably Ivan's E28s, they've also done Tom's E28s, Mark's E28s, my GT2s & Speedlines.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:14 PM
Barty964rst
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jamie Summers
I dropped my E28 BBS Mags in with them on Saturday. I got a very good feeling that they knew what they were talking about, and were happy to accommodate my own bugbears, such as keeping the hub-mounting surface and wheel nut wells clear of powder coat.

I am getting them to chrome powder coat the lips for durability. Mine are track wheels, and while the finish may not be quite as bright as a polished finish, they should prove to be much more durable. They definitely advised against lacquering a polished lip, which I agree with for track use.

They showed me a set of E28s just finished for another customer, which looked lovely. They had gone for Subaru BBS gold, which is a little darker than the factory BBS gold. I have requested the factory BBS gold, which may be a few quid more, but I think will look better.

The only issue I have is that they use BJV for the powder coating - I have used BJV in the past and was pleased enough with the refurbs on two sets of boggo Cup 1s (powder coated black with diamond cut lips), but less happy with the refurb of my RS Mags (didn't last well). Whilst they claim to know how to deal with magnesium properly, I'm not convinced they really do. As we're only talking the centres on the BBS wheels I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt, and take confidence from the fact that Voodoo are on-site and able to supervise the processing of "their" wheels.

I will let you know how I get on with them.........

Jamie
Thanks Jamie for the update, I know the pitfalls of the Cup 1 Mag's. Have been directed to guy in Bristol who has that process nailed. I have two Mag's refurbed by him and will send my other sets to him in next year.
I wanted a more local place to send the BBS as mine will also be track, although I still want them to look good.
Indeed, the wheels you saw were probably Ivan's E28s, they've also done Tom's E28s, Mark's E28s, my GT2s & Speedlines.
Thanks Frank will also contact VD for mine to be treated.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:16 PM
Barty964rst
Rennlist Member

Have another question guys - the car when left outside in the rain, then ejects water on the driver on the first good braking. That wakes you up!
Hope it's a blocked drain hole, any other suggestions to what it could be?
And what do others use to rod the drain holes on their 964 sunroofs?

Last edited by Barty964rst; 10-08-2014 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Clarifying request
Old 10-08-2014, 06:51 PM
Jamie Summers
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Jamie for the update, I know the pitfalls of the Cup 1 Mag's. Have been directed to guy in Bristol who has that process nailed. I have two Mag's refurbed by him and will send my other sets to him in next year.
I wanted a more local place to send the BBS as mine will also be track, although I still want them to look good.
I had my Cup 1 Mags redone last year by an ex-Dymag guy called Steve Turner, trading as TPCS (there was a thread on the PCGB forum with some pics etc). He definitely knows what he's doing. They we're crack tested and chromate treated, which seems to be the key. They are still in bubble wrap and boxed and will probably stay that way forever. All a bit ridiculous but they're just too precious to use in anger.
I'm pretty sure Voodoo will do a great job on the BBS. Now that Frank mentions it, they were Ivan's wheels he showed me, and very nice they looked too !

Quick Reply: C2 to RS Spec - or is it?