Reseal Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 03:59 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Reseal Questions

I am talking to a couple of shops in relation to resealing my 90c2 Targa

The engine was removed and top end was resealed approximate 2K miles ago and at that time the oil tubes were replaced and all the gaskets. It appears one of the through bolts on the case is leaking, bad. The car runs perfectly and produces ample horsepower. I do not want to rebuild something that is fine.

OK so here are the dumb questions...

As I have one of the motors that has no head gaskets I am wondering if having the heads reworked / polished and honed would make sense. For a non-technical person if the head surface has warped does the surface of the block normally warp to match and if I get the heads done am I risking the surfaces will no longer mate properly ?

What is a guestimate cost of doing a block split reseal considering the above with or without doing the heads (north Florida) ? Where is a good place to send the heads that will not break the bank if this is the smart way forward ?
Old 10-04-2014, 05:05 PM
toma8344
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am doing an engine rebuild on 1991 C2 cabriolet triptronic without head gaskets. Not splitting the case but replacing the valves, barrels and pistons. The mating surface from the heads to barrels looked fine when they were removed meaning they seated well. So I would check and see if the seal looked tight if so try to keep them together or not do the job at all if it is just a case bolt.
On reassembly of the heads to barrels I am using a Permatex Copper spray gasket sealant part number 80697. I am hoping this will insure uniformity in the seal with the new barrels. I plan on using a little of the copper sealant spray since the assembly process takes time and I do want pools of the product on the parts which would create a sealing problem verses solution.
My suggestion to your problem is to keep it simple. If you are having no problems except one of the case bolts leaking then drain the oil, remove the nut keeping the stud in place, clean it up (spray the heck out of the removed nut and stud with brake cleaner and remove all remnants of oil, wait a while to insure you got it all, probably repeat the cleaning to reduce the residual leak, apply blue Loc tight in the hole where the case halves meets, pack the area with enough Permatex black form a gasket (best adhesion of any silicone I have used), tighten her up, remove nut and remove excess black silicone, reapply bolt using a dab of blue Loc tight.
You might be thinking of checking the other bolts DON'T you will be creating more potential or new leaks. Keep it simple with your 90. Putting all that money into the head polishing etc. may be better to have the heads machined to use the head gaskets.
I acquired my 1991 from a friend and have used it to gain alot of experience with the car. I have been thrifty with her saving funds for the next one. Anyone selling out there, cash in hand thanks Toma and good luck Bud!
Old 10-04-2014, 06:05 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 116 Posts

Bud,

Did you do the work yourself of did a shop do it?

Quick Reply: Reseal Questions