Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took the plunge...and wanted to introduce myself.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 03:20 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good intro, nice 964!
Old 09-30-2014, 07:29 PM
Enso
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome!
Old 09-30-2014, 08:56 PM
TouringTeg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the car!! Great pair of Pcars you have there.

It seems Guards red was a popular 964 colour choice in Alberta
Old 10-01-2014, 12:38 AM
Nostrathomas
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone, much appreciate the welcome and I'm glad you like the pics. I love photography as well, so hoping to take a lot more as the days go on.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:43 AM
Nostrathomas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by turbotwoshoes
Nice cars.. Let us know more how they compare when you know you have the 964 set up for handling...
Originally Posted by Jbarnes RS
Welcome. Car looks great. How dose it drive compared to the Cayman..
Well, I'll be honest in that I've only had a chance to drive it 3-4 times so far (silly work always getting in the way), and only once out in the country side where I could let it breathe a bit ...so it's hard to really compare just yet. It was an extremely windy day out, so I'm not sure if fidgetiness I experience was due to the that or just the inherent quality of the car. I did get the impression that it drove a little tall, and lowering it to ROW height would probably alleviate some of that effect. But it was my first real drive out, so I really don't want to make any assumptions yet.

But to be honest, I don't expect it to get anywhere close to the Cayman when it comes to being able to handle a corner. I just think the Cayman is one of the most balanced and responsive cars ever driven, and Ive not once gone into a corner that I didn't feel completely comfortable in (keep in mind I've never done any track days with it, as our local track was shut down a few years ago before I got the car). Anyone who hasn't driven one, I highly recommend it.

I love that I can access the engine of the 964. I love the lines from all angles (The Cayman I love from the front and profile, and those sexy hips, but hate the rear lights). I love that old-car smell. I love the sound. But I don't expect it to handle as well as the Cayman. But that's totally ok...I wouldn't want two of the same thing.

Originally Posted by jorijori
From the picture, Cayman looks bigger & wider, is that so in real life? How about the cabin, which one is more spacious (disregard the 964 backseat)?
They Cayman is definitely wider, and a little longer, but not by much. There's a lot more space on the inside however, as I'm always surprised how narrow the 911s can be from the inside (but Ive yet to feel a car where the beltline was the perfect height for me to stick an arm out of!). With the mid-engine setup, the Cayman has a ton of luggage space with two trunks (and that rear hatch is quite practical as well. We moved from NY to Calgary driving the Cayman and it had enough space to accommodate two of us for a week. The plastics on the Cayman are quite junky though, and I don't think will have the longevity of the 911s interior.

Originally Posted by paa502
Seriously considering adding a Cayman to my 964 - how do you like it?
It's a fantastic car. Doesn't have as much personality as an air-cooled 911, but it's amazing in the right setting (ie, anything with corners!). I have the Base, so sometimes I wish it had a little more power, so you should probably consider the S or R. One thing I love about it is that it's relatively rare compared to other newer Porsches. Alberta is a fairly well of province, so you'll see a 911 within minutes of stepping out of your house. I'll see at least ten 996 or 997s before I see a Cayman.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:55 AM
Nostrathomas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FabianS
Nice car! Did I possibly see you driving it down Crowfoot Trail early today?
Quite possible...but I always keep my eye out for other Porsches and believe me, I would've remembered a Guards Red 993! I will be on the lookout.

Originally Posted by onceover
Was it you that I sold my winter tires to a week ago?
Ha, that is indeed me! Might be time to try out those wheels soon.

Funnily enough, I was looking through some car show photos of mine the other day, when I realized I actually took a photo of your car. Small world I guess. I love those Turbo Twists on the 964...and I'm jealous of the rear lights...did you tint them?

964 C4
by Thomasaurus, on Flickr
Old 10-01-2014, 12:58 AM
Nostrathomas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tfitch03
And you have the fastest color! !
Funnily enough I was looking for a 964 that WASNT guards red, just to mix it up a bit. But in the end I love red cars so I'm glad it worked out this way.

Originally Posted by TouringTeg
It seems Guards red was a popular 964 colour choice in Alberta
Gotta support the local hockey team.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:58 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Congrats! Looks like a great car. I too favor Guards Red. I have two myself.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:13 AM
FabianS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depending where you live in Calgary, you should try to make it to our cars and coffee at the Marda Loop Safeway parking lot. It's Tuesdays from 7-9 pm. Not sure how many more there will be for the season, but the more 911's the merrier.

Quick Reply: Took the plunge...and wanted to introduce myself.