Sponsored by:

Water in the frunk

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 05:06 PM
Greg_V
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water in the frunk

I have some ongoing issues with water in the frunk. Im convinced that it has to do with how I installed the weather strip along the front bumper. Anyone have a closeup photo of a correct installation that doesn't leak?
Old 09-27-2014, 05:34 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine has leaked since I got the car, 5 year ago.

My solution, built a garage.

Only way to make a 964 water tight!
Old 09-27-2014, 05:45 PM
Greg_V
Instructor

Funny. I just had that same discussion with the wife last night.

Originally Posted by 964russ
Mine has leaked since I got the car, 5 year ago.

My solution, built a garage.

Only way to make a 964 water tight!
Old 09-27-2014, 07:01 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

You can find the source of the water leak at the seal by sprinkling talcum powder on the seal, closing the trunk and spraying water around it...the water leak will wash away the powder.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:26 AM
Greg_V
Instructor

Thx.

Looking at the seal in profile from the drivers side, I'm thinking I have it rotated too far clockwise. In part, I believe this because I have a 1/4" extra sir so of the flap that tucks into the bumper smile.

a close-up picture of a good seal install would help me figure that out, preferably as close to a profile view as is possible.

Originally Posted by Earlydays
You can find the source of the water leak at the seal by sprinkling talcum powder on the seal, closing the trunk and spraying water around it...the water leak will wash away the powder.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:23 PM
Greg_V
Instructor

Did the old baby powder test over the weekend. Doesn't look like the seal is the problem at all. I did find some water seepage from a seam in the sheet metal, similar to the 993 leakage https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-footwell.html but in the frunk instead of the passenger cabin.

The seam that was leaking is just above the vertical electronics box that sits opposite the battery. I'll try to grab a photo tonight.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:19 PM
Greg_V
Instructor

Location of the seeping seam, as promised.

Leak in the seam
Old 11-06-2014, 11:01 PM
Greg_V
Instructor

Tried a lot of fixes and ultimately fixed by adding a 1"x80mil foam strip along the full width of the leading edge of the hood to mate to the OEM seal. So far, a water tight seal.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:20 PM
Greg_V
Instructor

Default the saga continues

seems i continue to find water sources for the frunk. after washing the car and finding some curious puddling in a narrow channel at the bottom of the frunk but no water in the 'catch tray' along the front edge of the seal. I removed the plastic trim piece to find that water appears to be leaking thru these four bolt holes, which i presume are used to hold the front bumper in place. the plastic washers don't seem to be water tight for me, so i applied a small smear of RTV on their backside. Not concours but neither is my car. So far so good; 2+ inches (6cm+ for those metrically challenged) of rain this week as well as 100+ miles of driving at highway speed in the rain with a dry frunk again. i love the pacific northwest. hope this helps someone else.

water leaked from bolt holes. plastic washer wasn't making a water tight seal<br/>

Quick Reply: Water in the frunk