Sponsored by:

New engine- 500 mile trip

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 02:38 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts
Default New engine- 500 mile trip

Because possibly I'm a special kind of crazy- Just put the car on its feet on Wednesday night for the first time since April. Currently have 17 miles of purring like a kitten. And I'm planning on treking down to nyc tonight.

So far the break-in process has been:

20 minutes running at 2,000rpm to break in the cams. Then oil/filter change.
17 miles of lots of 2nd gear. Some uphill full throttle, some downhill engine braking, and in-town driving from 20-40mph in 2nd gear. I haven't cracked ~4000 rpm yet. Oil pressure is great (10w40 Valvoline motorcycle dyno oil), and temp was hanging out at 1/2 way while around town this afternoon. I just ran an idle adaptation using Tore B's OBD1 cable. Idles very very smooth.

The plan for tonight is to stay off the highway for the 1st 50 miles and keep the rpm moving around. Then hop on the highway and keep moving between 4th and 5th for the ~175 miles to nyc. With traffic, there will be plenty of opportunity to keep the rpm varying. I'll hop off on an exit every so often and hop back on the highway just to add in some more variety. I'll keep it under 4,000rpm.

Return 220 mile journey on Sunday night will be without traffic and all highway. I'm planning to follow the same highway routine as above, but move the rpm up toward 5,000 on ocassion. After the 500 mile trip, it's time for another oil change.

Any tips from the brain trust? I've got a big bag of tools, towels, and latex gloves in the frunk (hope I don't get pulled over . And a AAA+ membership.

I'm planning to make an autocross in 8 days, and this seems like a great way to get the motor broken in.

I'll update my rebuild notes thread too-
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...motor-now.html

Old 09-12-2014, 03:02 PM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I say do it!
Old 09-12-2014, 03:03 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Nick - Congratulations on getting the engine running again. It feels great, doesn't it? As for your break-in procedure, it looks good. Have you already checked for possible oil leaks and such? I would want to know its all good before I left on such a long trip. I'm assuming you have but want to confirm.

Don't forget to check the tire pressures and brakes before you leave.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:06 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Sounds like a good plan. Looks like your 964 season is just getting started. Enjoy the car.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:36 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

I crawled all over it yesterday with a mirror after putting on about 10 miles at temp. Dry as a bone! Bled all the hydraulics more than once. Thanks for the tire pressure reminder. And thanks for the positive reinforcement!
Old 09-12-2014, 03:56 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

I am in Fairfield CT right off exit 23 on 95... Feel free to stop and say hello. I'd love to see the car Nick...
Old 09-12-2014, 04:07 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Awesome- pm coming.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:09 PM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Go cat go!

To me there is nothing better than after getting an engine built than to take the time to break it in and feel the difference and know whats behind you. (I really like the anticipation of how, as it breaks in, it smooths out) There is little better when travelling than knowing what you have under your feet. And both yours and the cars capability! Congrats!
Old 09-16-2014, 01:25 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Go cat go! Perfect motto for a jazz-filled nyc weekend with some old musician friends.

472 miles now on the motor. Smooth running all the way, except it sounds like I have one loosely adjusted valve that I can hear ticking when accelerating from a stop (or low rpm in any gear).

Plenty of rpm variation on the trip down. The return trip was open highway, so I stuck to the plan of switching between 4th and 5th and varying the speed by 10mph up and down in both gears. Lots of accel and engine braking in there too. I'm surprised that mpg turned out as good as it did at 17mpg all-highway.

Had a great time swapping keys for a few minutes with Goughary on the way home. I want to say that his coupe felt like a more rigid chassis than my cab. And now I want his subtly more solid feeling 993TT shifter.

Still lots of projects to finish up. Among other things, the tach gauge stopped working when I fired the engine up for the first time. OBD1 port has an rpm signal into the laptop so I've got to send the gauge off to North Hollywood Speedometer. The tach and speedo numbers are delaminating anyway, so this is motivation to have them both cleaned up.

Tomorrow's agenda is a fresh alignment. Though my method of setting the front toe by placing a board on the tire and adjusting until the board was parallel with the rocker, actually resulted in a pretty decent ride. Crooked steering wheel notwithstanding.

Quick Reply: New engine- 500 mile trip