Sponsored by:

Stuck on rear PSS10 installation - help! PROBLEM SOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 11:33 PM
YaHoo!
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck on rear PSS10 installation - help! PROBLEM SOLVED

So I have the front PSS10s in but on the rears I want to torque the rear piston bolt before I install it due to the tight space back there (at the front of the engine). On the fronts the bolt required an allen on the inside of a socket. The allen holds the piston as the socket tightens the nut. However on the rears there is no allen- the piston is simply threaded. No allen, no flat spot anywhere on that shaft to hold it therefore when tightening the nut on the piston, the piston spins. How do I torque this nut?! My only guess is that it is meant to be torqued only after all the car's weight is on the shock which means I 'll need to drop the car off the stands and torque in that tight space. I don't want to go through all that to find out I'm wrong. Please help me if you' ve tackled this before. Thanks.

Here's a pic of the top of the coil over showing the flat head (no allen) and the nut.
Attachment 811401
Attached Images  

Last edited by YaHoo!; 03-02-2014 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:36 PM
YaHoo!
Racer

Another photoName:  image.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  143.4 KB
Old 03-01-2014, 11:54 PM
perelet
Instructor

I have PSS9 and there's hex socket opening in rears:

also to tighten both front and backs using oxygen sensor socket is very useful:

Old 03-02-2014, 12:05 AM
UncleRemus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Impact wrench
Old 03-02-2014, 12:16 AM
YaHoo!
Racer

[QUOTE=perelet;11178323]I have PSS9 and there's hex socket opening in rears:

The PSSs have apparently "evolved" -obviously my thinking needs to evolve too!

Originally Posted by UncleRemus
Impact wrench
All over the literature Bilstein says not to use an impact wrench- these are too $ to mess up so I'm avoiding using it.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:58 AM
YaHoo!
Racer

I figured it out. I used channel locks (padded on the teeth of course) just below the hats in an area that wasn't part of the shaft/piston stroke. The nut only needed 47 ft/lbs of torque so it didn't take much force to hold it.

Unlike the frontt coilovers it is key to torque the nut before installation otherwise, once installed, one would be unable to access that spot with the channel locks.

Last edited by YaHoo!; 03-02-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:34 PM
perelet
Instructor

Originally Posted by YaHoo!
I figured it out. I used channel locks (padded on the teeth of course) just below the hats ...
You really do not have to do that. Something is wrong either with your shocks or way you install them.

Email your pics to Billstein USA - they respond pretty quick. I won't be driving those until you sort this out.

Here's real pss10 rear top pic:

Old 03-02-2014, 03:20 PM
YaHoo!
Racer

Originally Posted by perelet
You really do not have to do that. Something is wrong either with your shocks or way you install them.

Email your pics to Billstein USA - they respond pretty quick. I won't be driving those until you figure it out.
Thanks Perlet. What year is your car? As I understand it there are two models of the Pss10 those up to 90 and those after. My car is the latter and the rears are Bilstein #F4-VM3-D266-H2 which they spec for my 92. They fit fine...I'm now putting her back together. Let me know if you're not convinced.Thanks.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:38 PM
perelet
Instructor

Oh boy.

Email Bilstein USA and attach your pic, they do not charge for emails and know years/part numbers better.

Just double check if yours are not made by BillyChtein Ltd China.

Ps. I also presume that you cleaned up that funny looking grease from tops - maybe there's hex under it? Also torquing greasy thread is not good idea channel locks or not.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:11 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did everything turnout and how do you like the strut choice? Are they too stiff for mostly Street? I have original 1994 C4 Turbo look setup, which I beleive is same as Turbo suspension. Top of front mounts are painted Yellow? Don't know what shocks I have
Old 09-15-2014, 09:32 AM
YaHoo!
Racer

Originally Posted by C4inLA
How did everything turnout and how do you like the strut choice? Are they too stiff for mostly Street? I have original 1994 C4 Turbo look setup, which I beleive is same as Turbo suspension. Top of front mounts are painted Yellow? Don't know what shocks I have
The PSS10 suspension was incredible- really transformed the car. I used it for daily driving and autocross.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:08 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Egads! Had to read that last line a few times.... Gives you cause to seek a new dream 911 in the future

Quick Reply: Stuck on rear PSS10 installation - help! PROBLEM SOLVED