Sponsored by:

Coasting in neutral - right or wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 03:39 PM
HunterWare
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of the better cars that I've driven have had enough brakes to more than repeatedly lock up to wheels, and so don't need the extra help of compression braking. But I think I'm with JB and Adrian that I do it a) because it's habit and I like the feel, and b) because it leaves me in the RPM range for subsequent neck-whipping acceleration. =)
Old 08-10-2003, 01:04 PM
Wikkid911
Remarkable
Rennlist Member

Hi Ted 964 C2,
Coasting in neutral reminds me of when I used to drive my 1983 Mazda Rx7. I used this technique to great effect to try and combat the 14mpg fuel consumption. Boy was that thing a guzzler!
I like to double de-clutch on down changes for the engine noise and I believe that matching the engine speed to the gearbox speed makes the clutch last longer rather than the sharp rise in revs you would get with just a normal downchange. I have no doubt that coasting in neutral things would last considerably longer BUT if you are in the right gear at say about 3 or 4,000 revs you are ready to deal with most eventualities/opportunities (should they arise).
Cheers

Dave
'90 C2
Old 08-11-2003, 04:18 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

double de-clutching and rev-matching - that's no mean feat! Mind you, must sound a little strange from the outside of the car.

I can't believe that anyone would change from or to a gear without using the clutch. Surely only in the USA?

(this is backed up by the fact that on Top Gear - a motoring programme on BBC, they ask a celebrity each week to drive a POS Suzuki car round their track to see who can post the fastest time. The only person who broke any car on his laps was David Soul. In fact, he broke both cars' gearboxes.)

p.s. the fastest celebrity round the track in the last series was a girl. No, it wasn't Riccardo.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:29 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

One very good reason to avoid engine braking, IMHO, is that it can often catch the guys behind you by surprise. They're tailgating as usual, checking the radio, cell phone or what have you and then boom ... they've got to slam on the brakes to avoid nailing that damned Porsche whose brake lights don't seem to work.

Enjoy your engine braking, just make sure to check the rear view before you do it.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:42 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Institute of Advanced Motorists advocate the police driving system. Always use the brakes to slow down and don't change down through the gears. And coasting in neutral is a big no-no.

Cheers

Phil
Old 08-11-2003, 11:59 AM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

When coming to a junction or roundabout (an extremely common occurence in the UK) I always move down through the gears excluding first, of course. I like having the car 'there' for when you need to pull out again, plus as Adrian says, its harder to get the gear right if you don't. I would never let it coast in neutral as you have no control and the car is a dead weight.

Originally posted by Christer
p.s. the fastest celebrity round the track in the last series was a girl. No, it wasn't Riccardo.
Whataddya mean? You're insinuating I drive like a lady??
Old 08-11-2003, 12:00 PM
Christer
Race Car

Originally posted by Phil Raby
The Institute of Advanced Motorists advocate the police driving system. Always use the brakes to slow down and don't change down through the gears. And coasting in neutral is a big no-no.

Cheers

Phil
Let me tell you a secret. The IAM do not endorse use of engine braking simply because the car is able to stop faster . Once you get used to it, the danger is there that you will be brake later and if you miss your gear you will be in trouble. It's a safety thing, not a performance thing.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:18 PM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Christer
Let me tell you a secret. The IAM do not endorse use of engine braking simply because the car is able to stop faster . Once you get used to it, the danger is there that you will be brake later and if you miss your gear you will be in trouble. It's a safety thing, not a performance thing.
While I hate to admit I'm in the IAM, I reckon using the brakes to slow down works well for road driving, and makes for a smooth ride. The IAM also maintains it reduces mechanical wear of the transmission, but I'm not so sure.

Phil
Old 08-11-2003, 12:20 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Whataddya mean? You're insinuating I drive like a lady?? [/B][/QUOTE]

Riccardo - if you look like her (famous model, can't remember name!) I don't care; I'm interested!
Old 08-11-2003, 12:22 PM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by robmug
Whataddya mean? You're insinuating I drive like a lady??
Riccardo - if you look like her (famous model, can't remember name!) I don't care; I'm interested! [/B][/QUOTE]

I can't remember her name either but she's sexy, rich and likes cars. My sort of woman I think!

Phil
Old 08-11-2003, 01:25 PM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

yep, that was Jodie Kidd. She also drives a Maser 4200 Spyder and plays Polo, when she's not being a supermodel. She seemed very sexy and down to earth.

Here's a not so good picture of her. I once saw her in a motorway petrol station (getting into an Impreza WRX, passenger side) and another time somwhere in London. She's very tall!

Old 08-11-2003, 01:26 PM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Shame she doesn't have better taste in cars..

Quick Reply: Coasting in neutral - right or wrong?