964 c4 clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 04:29 AM
The Flying Dutchman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 c4 clutch problem

Hello,

Currently I am having problems with my clutch and I am curious to whether other rennlisters experienced same symptoms and what was the cause in their case.

The situation when it occured:
This problem started after dring hard through a 180 degrees bend in the German Eiffel. Also at a straight stretch of road after the bend I was in third and thought feeling my engine was only transferring 80-90 percent of its power to the wheels. However, no clutch smell. 3 minutes leater I could not engage gears anymore whith my clutch (or it had 10% of its working then and now 0 %).
Afterwards I put my car in 3rd to test whether I could drive it home. No problems and no feeling of clutch slippage anymore while driving in third (but I could not put it in other gears, even when trying the engine seemed to stall).

Observations:
- my clutch pedal has about 60%/70% of the resistance it normally has, but goes al the way down with the same resistance and comes all the way back up again.
- I cannot engage gears (well I can, but withouth clutch working) since allthough I have some pressure at the pedals the clutch doesn't feel to engage.
- I bleeded the clutch 2 times. All fluids coming through looking healthy without any grease or air in it.
- I can hear (I think clutch fork) at least moving in my transmission ( I have to listen carefully with engine not on) when I press the clutch and take my foot off the clutch. So the clutch fluid seems to be able to transfer it's power to some components in the gearbox. I also tested with clutch pedal pressured and fluid came out (I did not test it with pressure meters).

Confusing:
Allthough clutch slave cylinder from outside doesn't look new. I am thinking this is not the problem. the confusing part for me is that I have pressure on the pedal but 60/70 percent so it seemed a fluid pressure problem to me at first. This was backed up by the fact that I did not smell my clutch after the problem occured.

I am now thinkingtowards the clutch/pressure group. What are you fellow rennlisters thinking? I am kind of trying to save myself from pulling out the engine now for the gearbox since it is still summer here (The Netherlands).
Old 07-03-2014, 04:51 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The clutch is worn out - you need a new one.

Here's a pic of mine (similar symptoms).

Last edited by Harry Apps; 10-02-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:38 AM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is a little odd the clutch went so quick and can't even get it in gears. When mine slipped it was only at full throttle and felt like my wheels were spinning. It would drive fine if I was driving it normal. Doing the clutch yourself? I reused my DMF and No problems.

Quick Reply: 964 c4 clutch problem