Sponsored by:

Fuel smell - revisited?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 01:19 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Fuel smell - revisited?

Ok, the fuel smell in the luggage comapartment.

In my car, when it happens (rarely thankfully), IF I can smell it in the cabin, it is much stronger in the rear of the luggage compartment. There is the filler neck, and acouple of pipes - all of which are likely suspects.

BUT, this has been gone over anumber of times already. Is a filler neck/flexi pipe replacement a KNOWN fix for this, or is it a £100 gamble??

Last edited by johnfm; 08-07-2003 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:43 PM
MSchett2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say it is THE likely suspect, but in your case the problem may be one of the many hoses and seals to the tank. You might try replacing the cap gasket first since it is an inexpensive part. The replacement filler neck is of a much better design. You could consider that if your's hasn't cracked or distorted yet, it may eventually.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:05 PM
johnfm
Drifting

In the diagram there are quite a few rubber pipes & clips. After 10 years, in UK climate, are these likely to have cracked, or are the clips a culprit. Has anyone just stripped all down & re-assembled? If so, how long should I allow?
Attached Images  
Old 08-08-2003, 06:27 AM
Martin Hodgkiss
Advanced

Revisited?

I can smell fuel in the luggage compartment (not too strong)
Do I have a problem or is it a characteristic?

Thanks
Old 08-08-2003, 06:58 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Martin

in practice, it seems to be a characteristic of these cars-

BUT in theory, I don't think you are supposed to smell fuel in the luggage compartment of a car that cost over £60k when new!!

If any owners out there have had this problem from new I'd like to hear about it - or is it a problem that appears after many years??
Old 08-08-2003, 08:21 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get a fuel smell when the tank is 2/3 or more full and I execute a 2g+ right turn. In this scenario, I am convinced that it is either the fuel cap or filler neck that is the culprit. I don't mind though, I like the smell of petrol.

If you have a constant fuel smell then I guess it could easily be something else. Does it get worse when you turn right?
Old 08-12-2003, 08:55 AM
johnfm
Drifting

No, even if I do 28g+ turns!! Only get it sometimes overnight. Smell is noticeable if I open sunroof ,but keep windows closed - I expect this draws air into cabin throough the ventilation system.

Just saw mention of a pressure vent in the system somewhere - maybe this is the culprit??

I will have a 'sniff' around. It must me one of the many pipe connections there somewhere.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:20 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

JohnF, What's with both of our Black C2 Tips? Both have brake squeals and fuel smell. LOL! If we both come up with a list of problems and annoyances they will probably match perfectly.

I get fuel smell only when 3/4 to full tank. Making hard turns does not exaggerate the problem. Since my luggage compartment light is broken, I usually leave my trunk lid open overnight to dissipate the smell.

According to my service records, the cap & filler neck was replaced by PO about 4 years ago. So doing some math here...the problem would have started when the car was 9 years old at around 24,000 miles on the OD. And apparently it has not been fixed or has reoccurred.

Regards,

Last edited by PC2; 08-13-2003 at 02:09 AM.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:00 AM
Bill Wagner
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's a simple test to tell if you have the bad filler pipe:

1. Fill the car up with gas.
2. Before exiting the gas station, completely dry out the area around the gas cap.
3. Find an area of road where you can safely do some fairly high speed left and right turns and then be able to get out of the car quickly (a BIG EMPTY parking lot will do).
4. Drive your car and execute some high speed left and right turns.
5. After executing the turns, QUICKLY stop the car and then pop open the fuel filler top.

If there gas lying in the area of the gas cap, you have the fuel filler problem, and the fuel filler and cap (or at least gasket for the cap) need to be replaced.

I used the test above to verify that I had this problem. After replacing the cap and the filler tube the problem is gone. The gas odor didn't go away until I took the carpet out and gave it a bath.

Old 08-13-2003, 06:35 AM
Christer
Race Car

Or you can use some tissues around the cap - if they are soaked in gas then you know. Less messy maybe?
Old 08-13-2003, 07:23 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The filler neck problem is a KNOWN problem and Porsche issued a fix. You really have no choice but to try and fix what the fault normally turns out to be.
However I would also advise you look at the fuel tank cap gasket and the fuel vent on the top of the expansion tank. In fact based on helping somebody else out I would be checking the whole expansion tank out. The expansion tank on one 964 was recently found to be full of fuel with a fuel tank level of 1/4. The drain was blocked. Please remember that our 964s are aging. This area can get quite hot in winter if you are running heating and the tubes and pipes age. This kind of problem has many causes and will require different fixes but the most common failure is the fuel filler system cracking.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 02-18-2004, 09:15 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

John - did you fix this in the end?

What are the first few things I should check (mine smells of petrol inside the cabin & in the luggare area)
Old 02-18-2004, 09:24 PM
jonesey
Addict
Rennlist Member

A common problem with these cars...

John's 964 website has some more information regarding a solution in the technical section.

http://www.porsche964.co.uk/
Old 02-19-2004, 12:12 AM
964TOK
Racer

I replaced the fuel filler neck as per John's site last month......fuel smell went away but I have noticed recently it's started coming back. ??

Thinking of replacing parts 5a, 29 & 31 (from above post).

Bill, u said u replaced the cap itself (part # above 28)......didn't think this would be one of the culprets?
Old 02-19-2004, 03:55 AM
Bill Wagner
Addict
Rennlist Member

964TOK:

Yes I replaced the cap, but all I wanted to replace (really) was the gasket. When I went to a Porsche dealership they told me they only sold the cap/gasket combination, so I bought the cap and gasket. Bill Gregory pointed out this was likely hype and they just wanted to sell me the combo since it's more money.

I really doubt the cap needs to be replaced, but I'd be willing to bet the cap's gasket needs it.

Quick Reply: Fuel smell - revisited?