Sponsored by:

Carfax/Autocheck question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 09:17 PM
Vagabond
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carfax/Autocheck question

I'm trying to buy a 964 and have ordered Autocheck reports (published by Experian) but I'm not sure what to make of the different titles shown in the Full History section of the report.

I assume this means that every time a car changes ownership a new title is generated (but I guess this could also be an indication of an application for new title if a previous one was lost by the same owner)?

Basically, I'm trying to understand how many previous owners the car had. Also, I've found one with a "Lein Reported". Wouldn't this simply be a report of a collateralized interest in the car (by, say, the financing bank)? Or might it be something more onerous like a mechanic's lein?

Unfortunately, Autocheck doesn't give much detail nor explanation of such events. I'd greatly appreciate any advice or insight!

Old 08-06-2003, 09:22 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lien in most cases means a loan is outstanding with the car as collateral. Title will change when there is a change in ownership. Through the sale of the vehicle or the fulfillment of a loan or a gifting.

Quick Reply: Carfax/Autocheck question