Sponsored by:

To sell or not to sell?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 09:22 PM
Merle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DoninDen
This last post makes me think this is what your intention has been all along and you are using this thread as a teaser for your sale. In the end it's a car you aren't driving and you would prefer to have it out of your garage. Man up, make a decision. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Prices may go up or prices may go down, you can store it or sell it.
Easy now. No teaser here and I have not made any decisions yet. I'll post it up for sale here and on Pelican Parts if and when I decide to sell. I was just trying to get a few opinions from other enthusiasts.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:27 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

As I read this thread, I was hoping that at least one of the "me too...can't decide if I should sell" posts would be from a cab owner. Anyone in the northeast (preferably CT) want to sell their cab?!? :-)
Old 06-18-2014, 01:28 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

I have the same thoughts on my 964 occasionally but it is only for a fleeting second.

It bugs me that I only drive the 964 less than 2,000km a year. This is due to two main reasons - 1) our good driving months up here are really only 4 or 5 months at the most and 2) I like to golf but if I drive the 964 I have to put the golf bag in the front seat and it means I cannot stop anywhere along the way for fear of someone breaking into the car.

I am lucky in that I have two "summer" cars. I try and convince my wife that the second car is her summer car.

Currently it is a 350Z convertible. Before that it was a 335i convertible.

I have no issues with selling either of the convertibles because I can always easily find a replacement.

A replacement for my 964 would be much harder to find.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:19 PM
J81 JKR
Pro

I've decided, I'm selling. Head has to rule heart (for once). Will put together an advert this weekend with full details and post link, assuming I can figure out a reasonable price in this market! Any advice before then welcomed!
Old 06-18-2014, 04:17 PM
DTMLGND
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=PhatPhlatSix;11446388]I would say 'live for the moment'. Back in the 90's I had a BMW 2002tii - I absolutely loved that car! Eventually I sold it and moved on. Nowadays, when I see one, I think: omg, what was all the fuss about...[QUOTE]

Me too, a Ceylon Gold '73tii!! Still love those 'roundtails'
Did the very same thing with my '64 VW 21-window Microbus Deluxe!

I had a 964 turbo back in 2002 - sold it for £24k. Sure, it would be worth £70k now, but how much would I have spent on it in 12 years?

So as I said at the beginning, do what is right for you now, you might be a different person tomorrow.
What he said^^ Sold my '72 T for around $17K in 2008 to get something a little larger for transporting kids b/f to school, next day bought an E30 M3 both a blast to drive, very different and now both gone...but I just love my 64!!

Originally Posted by J81 JKR
I'm going through a similar dilemma myself - i.e. to sell or not to sell. Pushed myself to the limit on a pending house purchase, now due in part to a 2 month delay in exchange of contracts (purely due to poor communication between the solicitors) I'm left extremely tight for funds... On the flip side, I'd previously promised myself its a car I would never sell.

Hmmm. I'd be lying if I said the current market wasn't a massive incentive to sell, mainly because the profit I would make on the 964 would be put to good use doing up the new house, and would certainly take the pressure off a bit.

Like others have said though, bills come and go, and theres usually other options financially... certainly not going to make a rushed decision if I can help it.
Originally Posted by breljohn
I will go against the majority here and recommend to sell it.
We all love our cars but your financial stability or safety is more important.
No car is more important than being able to pay your bills...
Agreed.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:36 PM
Brideyo
Racer

Red face

Originally Posted by Merle
I bought my car a few years ago before prices were going crazy on these cars. It needed some work but I've always wanted an air cooled 911 since I was a kid so I bought it as something to fix up and enjoy during retirement. The problem is I have 18 years until retirment and some other expenses just came up; I could definitely put the proceeds from selling the car to good use. However, I know I probably won't ever to be able to afford one of these cars again especially if the prices keep going up the way they currently are. I have sold cars online privately in the past and it was always a pita dealing with people. I just don't know what to do at this point.

I still get excited every time I go in the garage and see it looking at me though.

apart from the mirrors this is the identical to the car ive just bought. Red with black interior is sooooooo iconic it WONT be repeated and very period.
Keep it I say
Old 06-22-2014, 08:15 PM
usmm1234
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brideyo
apart from the mirrors this is the identical to the car ive just bought. Red with black interior is sooooooo iconic it WONT be repeated and very period.
Keep it I say
Congrats on your purchase. I have had quite a few variations of the 911, and the 964 is my favorite. I have owned it 3 times longer then any of the rest. I get thumbs up at traffic lights every time I drive it. Plus it hauls butt. My wife's car is faster, but you would never know it when you are driving. The 964 becomes part of the road and you become part of the car. I always feel like I'm driving a race car. Enjoy!
Old 06-22-2014, 09:46 PM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Archer305
But, I'll kick myself in a few years when we're past the rear facing car seats and I have time to enjoy it. Who knows...
I had that though briefly when my son was an infant. However, the time flew by and, by the time he was 18 months old, he was ready for a front-facing seat in the back on my 964. He loved it, although the noise and vibration were pretty much certain to put him to sleep on any drive of more than 1/2 hour. He's now 4 and sits in a forward-facing Recaro child seat in the front (with the airbag disabled, of course), and loves it even more. Do a search for "child seat" and you'll find many posts on this topic.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:03 PM
Merle
Racer

I've decided not to sell. So if anyone is thinking about sending me a private message do yourself a favor and don't.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:46 PM
964Lovac
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

haha! Glad to see you decided to keep it. A great looking car (from a fellow GR owner with a black interior!)

These cars are truly special
Old 08-02-2014, 06:30 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by canuck964
I have the same thoughts on my 964 occasionally but it is only for a fleeting second. It bugs me that I only drive the 964 less than 2,000km a year. This is due to two main reasons - 1) our good driving months up here are really only 4 or 5 months at the most and 2) I like to golf but if I drive the 964 I have to put the golf bag in the front seat and it means I cannot stop anywhere along the way for fear of someone breaking into the car. I am lucky in that I have two "summer" cars. I try and convince my wife that the second car is her summer car. Currently it is a 350Z convertible. Before that it was a 335i convertible. I have no issues with selling either of the convertibles because I can always easily find a replacement. A replacement for my 964 would be much harder to find.
I've been going through similar thinking. I'm lucky enough to have 3 pcars and the 964 is the one with real soul and matches my car dreams as a teenager. While my 07 boxster s is a brilliant daily driver and has stunning performance, it is easily replaced whereas the 964 if sold would be regretted I reckon as well as being very difficult to replace.

Quick Reply: To sell or not to sell?