To sell or not to sell?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 12:08 PM
Merle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To sell or not to sell?

Keeping it for now.

Last edited by Merle; 10-27-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:12 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny, I'm in the same situation with my 95 993 and I don't have the patience with people either. The question is Merle is how bad do we need the money?
Old 06-15-2014, 12:27 PM
Merle
Racer

Originally Posted by David A
Funny, I'm in the same situation with my 95 993 and I don't have the patience with people either. The question is Merle is how bad do we need the money?
I could probably tighten down on a few other expenses in order to keep the car I guess. I just dont know if I want to make the sacrifice for something that just sits in my garage collecting dust. At least my wife is on board with whatever I decide to do so I'm not getting any pressure from there. Decisions, decisions.

Last edited by Merle; 06-15-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:24 PM
August West
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My advice would be to mothball the car if you can't deal with putting money into it right now. You'll be glad you did in 18 years when you retire and you'll have the car to liquidate for your retirement at that time.

The cold facts are that there is a shrinking number of air-cooled 911s out there. There will never be any new ones made again. Currently there's an exodus of air-cooled Porsches back to Europe and you'll see over the next 18 years that China will develop a thirst for the air-cooled 911s and I can almost guarantee that the prices will keep rising simply based on supply and demand.

My 964 was worth about $20,000 when I got her from my Dad in 2010 and now it's heading towards $30,000...that's a 50% increase in 4 years. I have a friend with a 1980 911 SC that he wanted to sell just a couple of years ago for $10,000 and I told him he'd better not, and now they're heading towards the $20,000 breakpoint.

Don't forget about China! They have an insatiable appetite for all things western. Did you all see that tweet from Bill Gates? He tweeted that China has used more concrete in the last three years than the United States did in all of the 20th Century. The Dragon has awoken!

Keep the car, dude.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:32 PM
Merle
Racer

Originally Posted by August West
My advice would be to mothball the car if you can't deal with putting money into it right now. You'll be glad you did in 18 years when you retire and you'll have the car to liquidate for your retirement at that time.

The cold facts are that there is a shrinking number of air-cooled 911s out there. There will never be any new ones made again. Currently there's an exodus of air-cooled Porsches back to Europe and you'll see over the next 18 years that China will develop a thirst for the air-cooled 911s and I can almost guarantee that the prices will keep rising simply based on supply and demand.

My 964 was worth about $20,000 when I got her from my Dad in 2010 and now it's heading towards $30,000...that's a 50% increase in 4 years. I have a friend with a 1980 911 SC that he wanted to sell just a couple of years ago for $10,000 and I told him he'd better not, and now they're heading towards the $20,000 breakpoint.

Don't forget about China! They have an insatiable appetite for all things western. Did you all see that tweet from Bill Gates? He tweeted that China has used more concrete in the last three years than the United States did in all of the 20th Century. The Dragon has awoken!

Keep the car, dude.
Excellent advice. I was actually thinking along the same lines and I told my wife the same thing, "they don't make air cooled 911's anymore". I had a chance to buy a low mileage one owner 1982 SC three years ago for $14,500 and kick myself for not jumping on it. We all know what they say about hindsight. Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:44 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

It's definitely worth the sacrifice, every time I look at mine or drive it, it puts a smile on my face.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:14 PM
FlyinTomato
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always thought keep what makes me happy and sell the distraction that I dont care about. If you need to liquidate your processions. Perhaps there are other "things" you could sell?
Old 06-15-2014, 04:47 PM
baldy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've got 2 kidneys......
Old 06-15-2014, 05:43 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure about The new world as a future market for classic cars. We grew up looking and admiring at these cars and appreciate their heritage where as in the new world it's all about the latest, apparently china was the worlds largest buyer of Cayenne with 26,666 + 6,738 panamera cars against US who imported 18,507 cayenne + 5,421 panameras. However in the case of 911 us dwarfed china with sales of 10442 against China's 1418.

It's pretty much the same ratios when you compare other new markets such as Middle East and Africa so won't bore you with numbers. Also do bear in mind that the rise in value over the course of the past few years has been over and above market as a whole and one could say that it has run its course and now is time to fall back in line with the average or one could say that we witnessed a bubble that is not realistic to maintain. I am sure there are plenty of owners who like you are contemplating cashing in their cars realising their value. But what happens if they start hitting the market, and how many takers would there be for such expensive cars.

I know because I was one, I started looking for a 964 but after a while I realised that I am not going to get what I want for anything under 50k (uk pounds = 80k in $), even then it will probably be over 100k miles with the spec i want, a C2 less tiptronic sans sunroof. So it will need another 20k to bring it to the condition I want. But then I realise that I could have a new 991 for not much more and so that's what I got.

I am sure there are other buyers that are looking at it purely as a speculative investment and not looking at using it like me but then once the prices level off they will cash in their cars or stop looking and move on to the next best thing.

I am not saying this is how it goes but just showing you the flip side of the comments made earlier. Every bubble bursts sometime, question is the timing and none of us know.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:11 PM
JV44HeinzBar
Intermediate

I feel for you if the situation is so bad you HAVE to sell her. Otherwise, Keep it!!!

You'll be kicking yourself in a couple of years. I made the mistake of selling my 70 911 coupe. Fortunately, I had a 71 targa too, so I didn't lose out completely. I also have a 90 964. It literally took me a year to find the car I was looking for. I spent a small fortune in PPIs, spent unknown amount of time surfing the net and making phone calls. I also experienced 2 people reneging on deals after I had already sent a cashier's check to the sellers.

Safe yourself a massive heartache/attack and keep the car. You'll be glad you did. August had the best advice. I'm sure you have other options, but once you sell that car, you'll never get another w/o spending double the amount of money you sold it for.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:58 PM
usmm1234
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 964 16 years ago for $34,500 in mint, condition with very low mileage. I have spent about $4000 on the car, mostly fixing the AC years ago. My car has 37,000 miles now and is still in mint condition in and out. A guy just chased me down when I drove to the post office the other day. He wanted to buy my car. I told him it was not for sale. He said if the car checked out mechanically, he would pay me $40k for it!. He may have been a nut case. I will never know, because I told him I wanted to be buried in the car.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:09 PM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

I would Keep the car. Figure the rest out. Bills come and go just like everything else. If the car gives you enjoyment, if even just owning it gives you enjoyment, then keep it. Enjoy your journey.

Totally understand and it's a personal decision. Best of luck with it. I know that 30 minutes with the windows down on a nice road in my 964 makes everything seem better. Same is not true for any other car I've ever owned.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:22 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by August West
Currently there's an exodus of air-cooled Porsches back to Europe and you'll see over the next 18 years that China will develop a thirst for the air-cooled 911s and I can almost guarantee that the prices will keep rising simply based on supply and demand.

Keep the car, dude.
This statement cannot be further from the truth.

1. China emission laws will not allow one aircooled car on the road.

2. Chinese consumers want the newest and the best in performance. Aircooled pcars are neither.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:33 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

You said "it's in the garage collecting dust" and that you need to put the money into something more worth while. Start offering the car high, and when the right buyer comes along take the money and run. There are a lot of cool fun inexpensive cars out there. And if you aren't driving it anyway, take advantage of the jump in prices. Worst case, prices are back down in ten years. Forty-something's are in their peak earning years, and they (we) grew up loving 911's. The next gen down...not so much. They will be paying 200k for the right 2007 bmw m5 with the v10 and the 22's..and the 800 horses that they know nothing about.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:56 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mondrian
I know because I was one, I started looking for a 964 but after a while I realised that I am not going to get what I want for anything under 50k (uk pounds = 80k in $), even then it will probably be over 100k miles with the spec i want, a C2 less tiptronic sans sunroof. So it will need another 20k to bring it to the condition I want. But then I realise that I could have a new 991 for not much more and so that's what I got.
I don't see your logic! If you are looking for a 964, then end up buying a 991!
1). 991 and 964's are very different driving experiences
2). 991's will continue to depreciate and by big numbers for the a number of years to come, just look at 996 and 997 prices, where as 964's could arguably go either way as who can seriously predict what will happen, but even if they dropped 20 or for arguments sake 50% your best condition 964 is probably still going to be worth more than a 991 in 10 years time.
If we are talking daily driver, I understand your logic for going with a 991, but as a car to keep for the fun of ownership a 964 is the way to go.

And to the oriiginal question!
To sell or not to sell.

Weigh up your options, maybe raise some finance against the 964, that way you keep the car and have some cash to do what you need to do.
If you have had enough of the 964, don't get to enjoy it anymore etc etc, sell her, otherwise do what you can to keep her.

Quick Reply: To sell or not to sell?