Sponsored by:

'90 Targa project

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 05:23 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by greg1990964
Attachment 842747 Attachment 842748 Attachment 842749 Here is mine after installing the motor from my wrecked 90 cab. I had to use much more parts than I thought from the cab, even wiring harness. I am finally stripping off every part I can today from cab before tub and title get picked up Saturday. I am hoping to get every last brake line off and the like that my patience allows. I have some small bit off this car if anybody needs things like I have offered before. The big ticket items are mostly gone. It does have a pretty new climate control unit I may sell. Good luck with project.
My climate control unit was lying on the floor when I picked up the car so I might be a candidate. I also need a black glove box, and the blower fan from the engine bay (I might have located one).
Old 06-11-2014, 05:30 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bobaines
I congratulate you on taking on your project, love seeing one of these brought back to life. I recently, 3 months ago, found a 90 C4 Targa while looking for a 92 or newer C2 coupe in not black or red. It had been well cared for to include a engine rebuild 10K miles ago to include the head gasket fix. Since getting it I have done a few simple things; first was to source some 9" rear D90's and new tires, next was to install PSS10's and lower the car, swapped the cassette holder for a tray, opened up the airbox, installed front splitter tabs. I have a short list of future fixes/upgrades but mostly just to drive it. The Targa top needs to be rebuilt, dry rot and loose headliner. Some combination of cat delete/primary bypass/G pipe and a chip.
Here are some photos of mine.

I look forward to watching your project unfold here.
I like the front splitter - source? I've rebuilt two Targa tops in my time (outer skin and headliner for one and replacing everything but the metal frame and parts for the other). Did the worse one in a day because the guy who owned the car couldn't leave 'till we put the top back together. The hard part for me was eliminating the air leaks. The first one sealed better than the second. It's a doable job and the materials are not expensive.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:08 PM
bobaines
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

These are FVD, I also got a set for my '94 C2 as part of the Cult Werks group buy. Quality seems to be a push.
The top fit is still great, outer skin is a 7 but showing age, the headliner was sagging and dry rotted foam was blowing out small bits. I removed headliner and under laying foam to keep the foam stuff from getting in my eyes with window open. No leaks and wind seal still good, it will still need to be redone.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:29 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Yeah - I know what you mean about the flying headliner bits. Where I picked up the air leak is in stretching the new top. I did the second one alone and fitting the new top is a 4 hand job - at least for me.

So I put the 5 cars back in our 3 car garage tonight and figured out the 1st step in the Targa project - clean out the garage.

The car as dropped in my garage seduces the unwary buyer into delusions of bargain found.

Last edited by jpoint; 08-22-2015 at 12:55 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:11 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

So - car's off the ground. I figure - get the old (4 years?) fluids out before trying anything. First the oil. I open the tank and about 6 ounces of oil dribble out - bad sign. Where did all the oil go? Was the engine run dry? I move on to the crankcase and WOOSH - there's the lost oil - probably 9 quarts or more. First thing that came out was some water on the bottom. So I'm scratching my head. How did all the oil get into the engine? I'm playing with this thing - or it's playing with me. I'm also keeping an eye open for an engine. Next out - the old gas.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:44 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Inside - I've found a rat's nest of wire left over from the previously installed and stolen sound system which might have been quite something in the 90's. I've started removing the excess, exercising caution not to yank out something wired to a necessary part of the original harness. Old "car phone" cradle is still there. Yes - they were once called car phones before they were made illegal while driving.

Under the engine cover - more missing. The blower motor and shroud are gone but wires dangle free searching for a place to be.
Attached Images  

Last edited by jpoint; 08-22-2015 at 12:56 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:13 PM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dying to hear if it runs. Hurry up!
Looks like with 964 and air cooled 911 prices gone crazy, people are digging into neglected targas. So much fun getting your hands on a neglected car and finding all the surprises!

Quick Reply: '90 Targa project