Sponsored by:

Do I trade up to a 993 ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 11:33 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry Christer, but this is also the first time I've heard someone suggest that there's no premium on cabs. Perhaps things are different over in the UK?

Now, there is no premium to speak of for Targas, which cost about $1000 more than a coupe when new. However, considering that Porsche hasn't made the (traditional) Targa since 1994, I expect their value to rise spectacularly in the next few years or so.

I do seem to remember reading in the past (Bruce A., perhaps) that Targas and cabs are "less popular" (or something to that effect) than coupes in the used car market, because of their expensive to replace seals/tops. That would seem to suggest that Targas and cabs are significantly less expensive to purchase than coupes. But, that's not the case--at least in the US.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:03 PM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the 'sale publications' the cabs are listed at a premium sometimes, the actual selling price does not necessarily match the 'for sale' price.

Randall, you live in a place where everyone should have a Cab so understand your position. Here in the UK the weather is somewhat different.

Anyway, my intention was not to start a war it was merely to point out what I perceive to be the case. All IMHO and if you want to believe I am wrong that's fine.

I rather like Dave's (Wikkid) point regarding the prices we sell at. I never really thought of that and if the Cabbies are right then a really good sorted Coupe can be had for around £15K or so in RHD. This is clearly not the case in my experience. So, are Cabs worthless (ok, there should be a space there but just for flaming purposes I left it out) or did Neil get a really ****ty price for his? Not that it matters to Neil as he has already purchased the new car so didn't need that extra £1k or whatever to make the leap to the next car.

If someone is willing to pay more for a rag-top than a coupe in our climate then that is what the market will bear. It depends on your priorities, but cabs are heavier, less rigid and in the UK keep the roof (which can leak) up most of the time. Why would you pay more. I can understand paying the same or less with our weather but not more. The few actual sales of cabs where I have seen (this was over a year ago) the price achieved would indicate that there is no premium and maybe the opposite. I guess the price is also seasonal to a point.

Anyway, I will leave the discussion now. At least the new owner got a pretty good price by the sounds of it.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:24 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Christer

If someone is willing to pay more for a rag-top than a coupe in our climate then that is what the market will bear. It depends on your priorities, but cabs are heavier, less rigid and in the UK keep the roof (which can leak) up most of the time. Why would you pay more. I can understand paying the same or less with our weather but not more. The few actual sales of cabs where I have seen (this was over a year ago) the price achieved would indicate that there is no premium and maybe the opposite. I guess the price is also seasonal to a point.
Where we agree is (a) we both like Dave (Wikkid's) point (b) that there are seasonal variations and (c) advertised price doesn't necessarily reflect sale price - but I'd think there was a correlation that higher ad price generally meant higher sale price (in other words the discount between ad and sale price remains constant whether you are looking at hard or soft top).

Also despite being in Texas (which means I have no personal axe to grind in this issue), I'm arguing from 4 year old knowledge of the general UK market where - generally - my experience over a 10 year buying period was that a soft top sports car commanded a premium over its hard top counterpart. I struggle to believe that 964s are any different. It is also my belief that the press - I'm thinking Classic Car and Classic and Sportscar in aprticular - are consistent in their statements to this effect.

In fact I think the price differential is less in the US than in the UK!

I'm also not going to start a war and am happy for this to be my last word but, for once, wanted to have equal airtime for a contrary point of view than Christers!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2003, 12:26 PM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Ruairidh
It is also my belief that the press - I'm thinking Classic Car and Classic and Sportscar in aprticular - are consistent in their statements to this effect.

Not all the press...
Old 08-19-2003, 12:31 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Phil Raby
Not all the press...
Yeah, I was going to make reference to your earlier post but got carried away in the typing.

Maybe we should distinguish between the press who wear yellow coats and the others .........or maybe I've been just wrong all these years!

Old 08-19-2003, 12:41 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

***snip***

Anyway, my intention was not to start a war it was merely to point out what I perceive to be the case. All IMHO and if you want to believe I am wrong that's fine.

***snip***

Anyway, I will leave the discussion now. At least the new owner got a pretty good price by the sounds of it.

Okay, eveyone pile on Christer!
Old 08-19-2003, 01:13 PM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nowt wrong with yellow coats!
Old 08-19-2003, 02:09 PM
JimBob Jumpback
That's Bubba Guru to you

Dat der sistor gotz a sassi mouth und aint be noin mutch bout autamobul valers und such. iz gotz a '76 furd LTD dat I kan selz sistor fur bout 18,000 of yer pounding thingies, wich ar wurht bout da sam as a mezican peso or italy lirer. da kar has rust wholes und such, und uzis liberating amotz of duck tape un da seetz und kloz hangur wirz to sekure sevaral body partz. but, itz bein a koop, und dont leek hardli any in da rain. soz, i be thinkin itz wurth at leest as mutch as Nelz 964 cabiolet. leez ta sistor, dat iz.

yer fren,

JimBob
Old 08-19-2003, 06:58 PM
NeilR
Intermediate

I am not trying to 'taint the market'. I just wanted to sell the car and as the buyer is the only person to show any interest, then it is foolhardy to hang out for a price that you will never get. Believe me I would have liked to get more for it, wouldn't we all !!!!!

Off to the 993 board now, thanks for all the info and keep enjoying the 964's, they are great cars..
Old 08-19-2003, 07:43 PM
Wikkid911
Remarkable
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by NeilR
Off to the 993 board now, thanks for all the info and keep enjoying the 964's, they are great cars..
Neil, dont go. We haven't finished with you yet.
Old 08-20-2003, 04:45 AM
Christer
Race Car

Originally posted by Wikkid911
Neil, dont go. We haven't finished with you yet.
no really, I have.
Old 08-20-2003, 10:45 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sistor...Uh, I mean Christer. You earned a visit from JimBob. What an honor, you lucky dog!
Old 08-20-2003, 11:40 AM
Ade - C4 91
Racer

Jesus JimBob, are you on drugs mate? hand them out.

Ade.
Old 08-20-2003, 11:42 AM
Christer
Race Car

Originally posted by Randall G.
Sistor..
WTF?
Old 08-20-2003, 12:28 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

WTF?
sistor = rhymes with sister = rhymes with Christer. Sistor has a sassi (sassy) mouth. I think. You'll have to ask JimBob.

Quick Reply: Do I trade up to a 993 ???