Sponsored by:

1991 964 C2 Fuel Pressure Regulator Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 11:34 AM
onceover
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by flypfi
onceover- I was having warm start problems and a mixture of other weird power issues - small occasional backfire when accelerating, random power loss, etc. Progressively got worse. I changed or checked everything, ISV, O2 sensor, DME relay, DME reset, MAF sensor, codes, etc. Then I attached a fuel pressure gauge and noticed the pressure dropped to zero with a couple seconds when I shut the pump off - it should stay up for 20-30 minutes. I pinched off the supply line at the pump and the pressure still dropped - indicating the check valve in the pump was not the problem. Then I pinched off the return line on the FPR and it still dropped. That meant it had to be draining into the vacuum line - and sure enough, when I pulled it off, fuel leaked out. Then I turned the pump on and got a geyser out of the small vacuum port on the FPR! That was my diagnostic process, for what it is worth!
Great, thanks for the detailed explanation. Unfortunately it sounds all too familiar. Which vacuum line was it that you disconnected? I think I'll be trying that tonight
Old 05-23-2014, 03:40 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

It's toward the center, there are 3 small lines, I believe it's the center one. Look for the FPR under the middle of the intake assembly, you should be able to see the line exiting it and follow that up to the center piece on the intake.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:10 PM
flypfi
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

onceover- There are 3 large fuel lines attached with flare nuts - don't touch those! There is one small vacuum line in the center of the FPR facing the rear of the car and can be tugged off with your fingers. You will have to remove the plastic fan duct on the the left side (not the fan motor itself) of the engine. Then you can look under the intake and see it. It's tight, but I was able to get my fat hand in there and pull off the rubber vacuum tube elbow. If you see fuel drip out of the FPR vacuum fitting - that is bad! If you don't see fuel, have someone activate the pump by jumping the DME relay while you watch to see if fuel sprays out. Again - fuel is bad if it leaks from the vacuum line fitting!

There is a photo here: http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...psa357f099.jpg

It's the round object on the right side of the image with a rubber hose going to it (that is the hose you will pull).

Last edited by flypfi; 05-23-2014 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:29 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

You don't need to go through all that trouble to disconnect it at the FPR, just disconnect it at the intake while the car is running and watch it for a minute or two to see if it burps out fuel.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:31 PM
flypfi
Rennlist Member

I finished the project in about 5-6 hours. All went well. The car runs so well, I had forgotten what it is what like to drive a perfectly running 964. The FPR replacment fixed ALL of my problems:

Cold Start
Hot Start
Random power loss
Poor idle
Overall poor running and performance

When I pulled the right intake manifolds, about 6 ounces of fuel poured out. Bad news. It was all running backward into the intake from the vacuum/pressure side of the FPR. It was not a fun job but well worth the trouble. I took many photos and will post a step by step if anyone is interested.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Last edited by flypfi; 05-25-2014 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 05-25-2014, 12:25 PM
JJ964
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way to go! Please post your pictures.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:46 PM
flypfi
Rennlist Member

OK - all photos posted under (in this forum): How To Replace FPR Fuel Pressure Regulator 1991 C2 964
Old 05-28-2014, 06:44 PM
onceover
Pro

Excellent! Thanks everyone for your help, I'll be trying this tonight.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:47 PM
onceover
Pro

Just checked the regulator and sure enough there was fuel in the vacuum line.

I tried to trace the line back to the manifold to disconnect it more easily but it splits off in a few directions, maybe this is a MY89 thing.

Snapped a few pictures in case anyone else wants to check their FPR, it's actually quite easy to remove the line right off the regulator once you realize you can access it from under the blower fan.

You can see it in the middle of the first photo, and the second is a close up. Just pull that vacuum line off and check for fuel.

Where do people suggest getting the regulator from? ECS Tuning wants $180 for it.

Also, can someone confirm that the correct part number is: 92811019804 ?
Old 05-30-2014, 12:23 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

andrayaDOThaywardATsunsetimportsDOTcom
Old 05-30-2014, 11:37 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by onceover
Also, can someone confirm that the correct part number is: 92811019804 ?
That is the correct part number. I looked in to to see if we had any other suppliers and we can get a Bosch one for a bit lower then the OE. For more information Click Here.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:12 PM
flypfi
Rennlist Member

onceover- I got mine at Pelican for $166.75 USD. It is the OEM Bosch replacement.

Here's the link: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg2.htm#item3
Old 05-30-2014, 06:13 PM
flypfi
Rennlist Member

BTW - you won't believe what a difference it will make!
Old 03-21-2016, 07:00 PM
Frankly
Track Day

Random power loss
Poor idle
Overall poor running and performance
Hello, some of these sound so true! -My 964 does have sometimes power loss and random idle.. (RS flywheel and lwf software) Sometimes car feels like there's no fuel and then works normally. Cold start is OK, and hot starts OK too. Sometimes noticed detonation _maybe_ too when accelerating hard when hot, but i'm not sure about this.. could be some metal shields/exhaust too. Now i have replaced ignition coils, wires, distributor caps&rotors, new fuel pump & check valve, dme relay (porsche original), lambda, cleaned ISV. Quite new spark plugs.. Problem still there. I propably should check FPR next... Or any better ideas?
Old 03-21-2016, 07:26 PM
Frankly
Track Day

Okey... I checked FPR taking the vacuum line off when engine running. No fuel.. when took that vacuum line off, engine did run richer i think.

Quick Reply: 1991 964 C2 Fuel Pressure Regulator Replacement