Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Steve!
Old 09-22-2014, 05:35 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Speaking from the mechanical side of our industry, not the sales & marketing one:

3) Change fuel & air filters every 10K.

5) Replace plug wires every 30K.

6) Oxysensor every 30K-35K.

7) Distributor belt every 60K.
Change fuel & air filters every 10k? Plug wires at 30k? Oxygen sensor at 30k? Distributor belt at 60k? You are kidding right? So speaking from the mechanical side of the industry, how many 964s have you actually worked on to come to these conclusions? Conclusions that are not even remotely close to the factory recommended service intervals?
Old 09-22-2014, 09:58 PM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Conclusions that are not even remotely close to the factory recommended service intervals?
Are 'factory service intervals' relevant on 20+ year old cars? To ensure a collector car lasts on the original engine, I think Steve's recommendation makes sense.

When I think factory recommended service intervals I think daily driver cars under maybe 5 or 10 years old tops. After this, it's up to the owner to determine the best interval based on use.

Maybe not, I'm no expert. It's all bunk anyway, since most 964 owners do a full rebuild every 10,000 miles. I, for one, am more diligent and opt for a top end reseal at the 5,000 interval as well. Might be excessive, but my Indy ****ing loves me!

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 09-22-2014, 10:15 PM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jason, and you saying Steve is suggesting those intervals are long or short?
Old 09-23-2014, 12:40 AM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Keep the front of the oil cooler clean and free of all dirt, bugs, and any other debris. The bumper cover needs to be removed for access and inspection.

Make sure the fans and thermal switches are working correctly.
+1. Great advise!

I also watch my temp gauge very closely. How the car is driven is important........RPMs, idling,speed, distance, etc. As most of us know these cars like long distance open highway driving. Short commutes and city driving with lots of idling not so good.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:57 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 427 Likes on 277 Posts

Factory service intervals...

I find it humorous that anyone would believe that factory service intervals are set and designed to be "what's best for the motor"...

As far as I can see, factory service is included typically, and therefore setup to be as far from good for the motor and drivetrain as they can get away with. They would rather your car not break, because they would have to fix it...but they don't much care that you go 15k on old dirty oil before making your first oil change?

I'm sorry...but if the FAA followed your typical automotive service schedule...our planes would fall from the sky.

Following steve's, and others, advice for service, such as....change oil often, change plugs, wires etc, often, change trans fluid, often...a properly maintained engine and drivetrain will easily last hundreds of thousands of miles...

My oil gets changed at 3k miles. And it drains out nice and clean every 3k miles. I don't wait for fine ground metallic particles to turn my oil black before a change...Cuz that would be not so good...and in another 30k, I'll be sending my disy back to Steve for another belt change and full service...

So come on...clean fluids, clean fuels, replace worn stuff...and these cars go forever...any car goes forever when it's properly cared for...
Old 09-23-2014, 01:45 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

1) Change your oil & filter every 3K on street cars (more often on track/race cars).

2) Use a GOOD oil & Mahle filters, not just the easiest ones to find.

3) Change fuel & air filters every 10K.

4) Replace ignition components, caps, rotors & plugs as needed. Usually 15K.

5) Replace plug wires every 30K.

6) Oxysensor every 30K-35K.

7) Distributor belt every 60K.
Urgh Steve, you just increased my cost of ownership! Ignorance is bliss. I am now trying to find your post about the oil consumption rate that would indicate its time for new valve guides. I have 75k on my Tiptronic and it is running so great right now after my reseal and all new items you just listed above. Want to keep my daily driver running this way for a long time.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:03 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mixter
I've noticed that going through many ads and threads, that it seems quite common for 964 motors to be rebuilt with less than 100k miles. Buyers and owners seem to have an expectation that if it's not rebuilt it will need one soon. There's a lot of talk and or worrying about the condition of our 964 motors. How many times do we hear "Before you buy you must get a PPI!".

Yet, the 964 is often touted as the most reliable and trustworthy sports car money can buy; "Bullet Proof" it is often said.
I think the quality benchmark is in reference to the class of car of same era, ie early 90's hi-performance sports car so if you are going to compare you have to look at the likes of Ferrari & Lamborghini.

Originally Posted by RicardoD
How do you maintain oil temp control?
As well as the excellent points covered by Steve I would also try and avoid heavy traffic conditions.

Proper engine warm up routine plays a huge role in engine life too.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:16 AM
PhatPhlatSix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mondrian
Proper engine warm up routine plays a huge role in engine life too.
As does oil-level. With the combined effect of leaks and oil-consumption, I wonder how many engines have suffered from too low a level?

I bought my car at 107k miles with a rebuilt engine. The previous owner sold it after it had had run a big end bearing, as well as having poor leakdown figures. A big-end bearing failure is most likely due to oil starvation at this mieleage...
Old 09-23-2014, 03:10 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Goughary
I find it humorous that anyone would believe that factory service intervals are set and designed to be "what's best for the motor"...
So you haven't actually looked at the service intervals for the things I quoted above?

Ignition wires don't go bad in 30k miles, unless those miles takes 15+ years to accumulate. The 2nd generation Bosch O2 sensor has a service life between 60-100k miles, not 30k. Your 964 has two fuel filters, one of which is supposed to be replaced at 60k miles and not 10k, the other never although it is available as a replacement. That's pretty normal for all 911s...

As far as I can see, factory service is included typically, and therefore setup to be as far from good for the motor and drivetrain as they can get away with. They would rather your car not break, because they would have to fix it...
Factory service was most definitely not included when the 964 or 993 were new although there was a two year warranty on some items. There are a few receipts from me in Adrian's books if you are curious as to what it cost back then.

I'm sorry...but if the FAA followed your typical automotive service schedule...our planes would fall from the sky.
I would never take Porsche service intervals as absolute gospel but I most definitely would question recommendations based on a sample size of zero serviced 964s when the alternative is based on actual durability testing. Which not-so-coincidentally is where FAA approved major maintenance intervals come from; manufacturer durability testing...

So come on...clean fluids, clean fuels, replace worn stuff...and these cars go forever...any car goes forever when it's properly cared for...
I'm not arguing with that but I do question the unnecessary recommendations given above that will easily increase the service costs for a 964 by three to four times, if not more. And provide zero benefit.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:26 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Change fuel & air filters every 10k? Plug wires at 30k? Oxygen sensor at 30k? Distributor belt at 60k? You are kidding right? So speaking from the mechanical side of the industry, how many 964s have you actually worked on to come to these conclusions? Conclusions that are not even remotely close to the factory recommended service intervals?
So...In your own little way here, you're asking Weiner how many air cooled engines he's worked on and in.

That's almost cute!
Old 09-23-2014, 04:22 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 427 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
So...In your own little way here, you're asking Weiner how many air cooled engines he's worked on and in. That's almost cute!
+1
Old 09-23-2014, 06:10 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KaiB
That's almost cute!
I find it slightly disingenuous for someone to be making recommendations for replacement intervals of the 964 fuel filter, O2 sensor, plug wires, etc. without having ever actually replaced the fuel filter, O2 sensor or a set of plug wires in a 964. All the while saying they are "Speaking from the mechanical side of our industry". Especially when those recommendations are completely out of left field when compared to what people have been using for the last 25 years and what the manufacturer recommends to this day, even on their newer vehicles. The "list" will be downloaded by many who will then use it to question their own mechanics and dealers who have actual experience with the 964. A situation not all that different from telling 993 owners they should be using Techron to avoid clogging their SAI ports.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:11 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll simply defer to you Jason as you are obviously the expert here.

Please tell us all how many air cooled engines you've been in to over the past, oh, 40 years or so.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:00 PM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Meow...

Quick Reply: Why so many rebuilds?