964 Oil Pipe from filter housing to thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 05:36 PM
Richard Talbot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 Oil Pipe from filter housing to thermostat

Hi all,
had a cloud of smoke appear after a drive yesterday, which comes from oil dripping onto exhaust from filter housing, removed rear wheel and the hose that runs across top of wheel arch has corroded and split on the joint from flexi hose to solid pipe, so I think urgent replacement !
Filter end looks reasonable to undo but thermostat end ?? What needs removing for access to nut, any one know the spanner size 34mm- 36mm ?
Also oil gauge sender seems to be leaking and doesn't work so shall replace too
lucky I'm due an oil change

cheers
Richard
Old 08-01-2003, 06:43 PM
daring
AutoX

Richard,

Sorry to hear about the problem. At least you didn't drain your crankcase completely, and get stuck somewhere, before finding out about it.

I am doing this right now as a PM item since I have an annoying drip there that I drag the front tire through when backing out of the garage... if I forget to clean it up first!

First you will have to get the body molding off. Piece at front of wheel well has 2 nuts. The piece that runs along the door to the front well has one nut located in the well behind the inner front fender. Take off the little access panel (2 screws behind front wheel) and the nut is right there. Other nuts are on undercarriage along length off panel (easy to spot) Then pry panel along top side carfully with a screwdriver and then you get to the lines.

Drain the oil, Disconnect the lines to the front cooler at the thermostat housing. Disconnect the two rubber hose clamps that attatch thermo up to the oil tank. There is a small retaining nut that holds the thermostat with a flexible bushing towards the top of the thermo. When you get that off, the thermo can be lowered from the rubber hoses and you can get a bite on that oil line nut. All of those line nuts are 36mm. You will probably split the rubber hoses trying to pry them off so it would be good to replace after all of that trouble.

Here are the part numbers I have:

Filter to Thermo hose:964 207 254 07
Rubber from Thermo to Oil Tank: I don't know which is which, but compare them to the old ones... 964 207 241 04 & 964 207 251 02

The only thing with the rubber hoses is that you may have a different fit if your thermo is upgraded to a '93 or later so it may be a different part #. At least that what the local dealer parts dept. tells me.

Best of luck to you.

Darin
'90 C2 Cab.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:23 PM
Richard Talbot
Intermediate

Thanks Darin,
shall order the parts tommorow
cheers
Richard
Old 08-02-2003, 02:32 PM
daring
AutoX

Your welcome Richard,

BTW - just in case you don't have the wrenches yet. You need a 32mm to counterhold. Left out that little piece by accident. Hope you didn't get started without. Good luck, Darin
Old 08-02-2003, 06:24 PM
Richard Talbot
Intermediate

Hi,
top spanner info, going to place order monday for leaking pipe and other one you suggested, won't be able to fix till next week
Do you know if the filter housing can leak other than from the 2 hose/pipe connections and the filter itself ?
to make it worse weather has just turned good again, my wife said fix it whatever the cost, now you don't here that often !
thanks for your time
Old 08-02-2003, 09:54 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Any chance of posting a digital photo of the area your trying to fix. I'm not 100% sure of the part that you're describing, but I believe I've made that repair myself. I guess it's a good ideas to understand the problem before trying to offer advice!

Last summer I replaced all of the rubber connecting hoses at the oil resevoir and thermostat. What a b!tch!
Old 08-03-2003, 07:35 AM
Richard Talbot
Intermediate

Can't do pics at the moment, but it seems these pipes around the thermostat are tricky
Have decided to drain oil and strip out pipes before I order new as may need more than first thought !

cheers
Old 08-04-2003, 04:04 PM
daring
AutoX

Hello,

I don't know if you can get any other leak at that point. Seems to me that those are the only 3 parts. Maybe there could be an internal failure on the filter housing, but I am NOT familiar with the housing to make a call on that. I know that the clearance between the fender and hose will make it difficult to get a good turn on the nut at the filter housing.

Hey, when the Mrs. gives a green light like that, how can you not make it a priority. I am envious!!

Good luck,

Darin
Old 08-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Richard Talbot
Intermediate

Hi Darin,
just too let you know the your replies were appreciated
Drained oil, jacked up removed wheel, side skirt etc
thermostat nut no problem, cut hose in half to make easier to remove
Filter end could not move so undid 3 nuts holding in filter housing, easier to disconnect pipe going to engine, then removed pipe and filter housing, required a lot of effot to loosen the old hose even on workbench, anyway this was all not too bad since I got the spanners you suggested 32 and 36
Did not order part from usual source but from mail order supplier for £129 -£10 less than all the others was told this was for genuine part
Well after stuggling to thread hose back thru and hand tight nuts realized that the nut size was 36.5 or 37mm, so doubt very much if genuine this then had me borrowing a large adjustable and struggling to tighten, but all back together, no leaks, at least on the new stuff!

cheers
Old 08-06-2003, 06:00 PM
daring
AutoX

Richard,

Sounds like a successful job, glad I could give you some useful info. Funny, it seems so fast and easy when you are not the one doing the work!!

If you don't think that the main hose is a genuine piece then I would keep an eye on the rubber for durability during use. I am pretty sure that it will be OK, but you never know if the material has been treated to handle that type of fluid. Once I used just "Any 'Ol" piece of hose for a PS return line and after a few weeks the hose got very gummy and was sweating fluid. So watch for the rot!!

Enjoy your 'Top Off' drives!!!

Meanwhile, back to trying to "Train" my Wife to let me tinker "... at whatever the cost...!!" Yah, Like that has a chance!!

Darin

Quick Reply: 964 Oil Pipe from filter housing to thermostat