Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 12:20 PM
gav965
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear bumper cover removal

Hi,

Fairly new to rennlist, but here goes!

I tried removing my rear bumper of my 964t yesterday.

I started by removing the screws/nuts securing the left and right quarter section. The cover was almost off, except the at the top of the centre section which would firmly not budge!

Anyone have and advice / experiences when removing their rear bumpers?

Many thanks in advance.....
Old 08-01-2003, 03:04 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Have you removed your rear reflector? You should see four rivets through the top center section. You have to remove the bumper rebar (aluminum bar) from the bumper absorbers (shocks). This is done through access from the bottom. Undo the 2 large allen bolts that pass through the absorbers. Once out the bumper assy will come right off, minus disconnecting the license plate lights. You can then remove the rivets from the rebar. Slide the cover out gently or it will tear/crack?
Old 08-01-2003, 06:52 PM
schubee
Addict
Rennlist Member

So you have to unbolt the rear bumber bar in order to get the center piece off? That doesn't make sense where I have seen pictures of the bumper covers off (center and l/r pieces) while the bumper bar is still in place. Hmmm....?
Old 08-02-2003, 03:11 AM
gav965
AutoX

I had a look a the exploded view of the picture ans spoke to a guy at the parts department of the local OPC and he said the the cover should come off without removing the bumpare assembly. He said the centre section was somehow clipped into place.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:49 AM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

On my 90 C2, I had to drill out the rivets on the top and bottom of the center section to get the aluminum bumper bar separated from the bumper cover. Once that was separated, there were bolts holding the three sections of the bumper together.
-Eric

Quick Reply: Rear bumper cover removal