Sponsored by:

Early 964 concerns

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 01:55 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts
Default Early 964 concerns

Hello gents- I did some searching before posting but couldn't really find the information I need. With the market trend for air cooled cars sky rocketing, they are getting harder to find. So I'm looking at early 964s (89-90), and remembered reading 2-3 years ago on RL something about the early ones don't have gaskets and tend to be more leaky than 91-94s. Basically, I would like to hear straight from the 964 forum on what your thoughts are regarding this issue. Are there other issues more common on the early years? Are these more fallacy than truth? Even a friend of mine who is a Pcar dealer told me to avoid early cars.

From my own experience with the 993s, they tend to leak at the valve covers. Remedy is easy with simple gasket replacement. Another leak point is the chain cover gasket area. They are usually slightly damped. Could you guys tell me the common leak areas or issues on the early 964s and how they are fixed? Your response is much appreciated.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:13 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In truth the issue was cosmetic.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:02 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FeralComprehension
Do you mean fit and finish? Please elaborate. Anyone else?
Old 03-27-2014, 11:43 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Back when these 964's were just used cars, the '89's, '90's and some '91's were avoided like the plague due to the potential for the cylinder to head leak.

I helped quite a few members over the years look at early 964's and there were enough of these cars leaking to make sure that it was something you checked for before purchase. I've seen a few of these cars puking oil like an Exxon tanker. I've seen more that were bone dry.

However, keep in mind that the thought process of avoiding these early '64's was in play when values were in the toilet. A $6,000 engine re-seal could have represented 25 to 50% of the value of the car and the '92-'94 cars weren't much more money and avoided that hassel. Now, with values moving upward, the re-seal job is not as much of a percent of value and due to values probably going up over time, it's more worth it now than it was 12-15 years ago to fix a leaking early 964 motor.

Yeah, the 964 is becoming collectible, but the cars that are out there from those affected years didn't magically get head gaskets and stop leaking. Check anything out before you buy to insure you know what you are getting.

The flip side is many of these cars were repaired years ago and are just fine.

But, my '90 964 leaked a bit... with only 34,000 on the clock...
Old 03-27-2014, 11:44 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FeralComprehension
i.e., they puked oil, but other than the mess they made all over the engine tray, the heat exchangers and your driveway, it was just an oil leak that did not affect performance. Dump more 20 dubya 50 in and go.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:08 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Some leaked, most of those were fixed under warranty by Porsche. At this point in time, it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:14 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

A re-post on my part....

This place is so awesome because almost every question you could possible ask, like "what year is best?, C2 or C4?, 964 or 993?" has 5+ different past treads with great responses. This is not a "do a search" comment, it's just that you might not be aware of all the gold in this forum.

Plus, in the few years that I've been a part of this forum, I've seen many "pillars" of the community come and go and leave behind many, many great posts. Dare I say eloquent posts at times. That way you are not limited to what current posters like me advise. Just don't want to see you limit your purchase in any way. (search Gregory - gaskets... to see that there's no issue with the cylinders either... though it's still constantly debated)

Don't worry about year though. These are old cars now, it's all about past service and current condition (mine is almost 25 years old... I love saying that!). I too was steered away from a '90. But I braved it and looked at the car, holly **** did it look nice and run strong. It's been almost eight years now and 50,000+ awesome miles, 10+ track days on stock brakes, and countless spirited runs in the twisties. I'm in heaven (or denial???).

I recently checked out a car for a Rennlister. I was curious to see how different a '93 is to my '90. It may have better rear brake calipers, and a plastic intake... and half the mileage mine has, but it was ratty throughout.

Poor old '90

Not a rant, hope you and others find the best car you can!

Best,
Udo
Old 03-28-2014, 10:17 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

This is what I needed to hear. Thanks for your informative feedback guys! I would love to hear more of your comments/experience Listers
Old 03-28-2014, 10:24 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Udo- thanks for your insight. Good to see these old beauties being driven and enjoyed. Your car looks "sick"
Old 03-28-2014, 10:46 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Thanks P-daddy!

I DEFINITELY have to return the complement. Your 993 looks amazing.
In addition, a couple guys in this forum have both a 993 and 964 and have given great feedback on the experience.
Looking forward to reading your "I got one" thread.
Best,
Udo

Quick Reply: Early 964 concerns