Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchase question - to buy or not to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 01:01 AM
hamah
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want to suggest the DME needs replacing (it would be unlikely considering it runs and just did a 500 mile trip), I just want to point out that there are a lot of expensive electrical and electronic devices potentially exposed if the roof were left open to the elements. I think your overall budget is reasonable and if you could feel confident you could keep to it this car could be a good deal. I can't tell you if this makes sense given your age, financial position, etc. but it is conceivable to use these as reliable daily drivers. With the way prices are trending you could probably get out of the car after a few years of use and improvements and even make a profit (depending on a lot of variables of course). Get the PPI and then figure out where you are.

Just remember that this car is almost as old as you and things will need replacing after 20+ years of use. Things that come out fine in the PPI could go south tomorrow but that could happen with any car and these are typically more reliable than most.

My old boss told me "anything can last forever...as long as you replace the parts".

BTW it is hard to tell from the pictures but she doesn't look like a salvage car by any stretch.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:59 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Got it. Maybe I'll see if he'll split the cost of the PPI. I mean it would create a lot of value for him to understand what's going on and to tell future buyers, assuming it's not me, what they're in for.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:18 PM
TYPE911
Rennlist Member

Received 643 Likes on 184 Posts

Do not buy...
Old 03-11-2014, 06:34 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a 92 cab for sale--- not in near as bad a shape as that one.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:42 PM
dhc905
Banned

Really? I just moved to CA from Chicago and love Wisco. Milwaukee, Grand Rapids, and Madison are some of my favorite cities.

That said, how much rust do you have on yours? You can PM me if you'd actually consider selling and think it could make the trip from you to SF...
Old 03-12-2014, 03:44 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

I'd take into consideration that if all else failed, it's got the be worth $8k in parts.
But, if you can't do at least 50% of the work yourself or at least have a friend that's knowledgeable and keen to help you! then walk away!
Old 03-12-2014, 11:33 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by dhc905
That said, how much rust do you have on yours? You can PM me if you'd actually consider selling and think it could make the trip from you to SF...
I believe Geoff stores his 964 during the winter. Teaser pic...

Old 03-12-2014, 11:42 AM
hawk911
Race Car

I store it all year round in the garage when not in use. When they replaced the front quarter panel, I did snap a few photos of the rust situation under it. Very minimal rust along that seam. Laurent, I did PM him the info. but thanks for the nod.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:34 PM
dhc905
Banned

She's a real beauty - but I was looking for something of a working project - something that I could enjoy during the week and tool around with on the weekends. That car is too pristine for my tastes

How hard is it to part a car out? It's a deal breaker if I have to do it myself, but I'd definitely give the car to someone assuming it's unfixably dead if they'd give me anywhere near 8K for it!

P.S. I wouldn't buy it to part out...just trying to figure out my downside. When this all goes south and my wife says I told you so, at least I can say we'll we'll get close to what we paid for it in parts...

Last edited by dhc905; 03-12-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:18 PM
Grazie
Instructor

My personal view (take it at face value) is that this car likely caries with it a fair amount of risk. Restoring it to a reasonable, sellable value of (say) 20k would, IMO, very likely cost more that $7.5k to accomplish...especially if there is any engine or electrical work. Even as DIY I believe you'll find parts run from reasonably expensive to off-the-charts...and can add up the $ quickly.

For my $ and if I wanted a cab on the $18-20k budget you mentioned, I would look hard for a better example in the high teens to give yourself a bit of $ for issues and mods. While this won't get you a perfect car I think these can be had. I would consider high mileage, well maintained cars. I'd also look for cars that have had accident damage but that have been well repaired. Both high mileage and accident damage significnatly de-value these cars and it does so beyond the difference you will likely see/feel in driving/owning it. Of course, I am assuming "well maintained" and "well repaired" respectively.

Regardless, as stated many times here and elsewhere, a PPI by a "well qualified" (air cooled) Porsche mechanic is the most important step on any of these cars and in particular with respect to the options I mention here.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:36 PM
hawk911
Race Car

I sent him kinda of the same thing. That any Porsche 911 is really a $20K car, once all is said and done, and brought to reasonable mechanical condition. Granted, some of that can be put off, depending on the issue, but all these cars really hit the $20k mark. Suspension alone is a $1000 adventure if you start doing bushings, Cv joints, etc.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:13 PM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

I'll be the outlier here and say buy it.

The window of opportunity to buy cheap 911's is closing fast. With prices rising at their current rate, $12k will seem like a bargain for this car in a year or two.

Have a PPI done, make sure there is nothing catastrophic wrong, and you'll have a fun project you can work on while ya drive it. Worse comes to worse, you could stick the car on Craigslist for 12k and it would be gone in 24 hrs.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:09 PM
TouringTeg
Burning Brakes

I have to agree. Buy it. It's going to be a project not his daily driver. You can take your time and replace parts as funds and time allow.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:24 PM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 60 Posts

It actually looks quite good. Offer 10 cash and deal with the consequences. If the car starts, moves forward, and stops....you can't have more fun for less money.

You could probably invest $5,000, a few years of your labor, and end up with a tremendously enjoyable car that's worth well over your financial outlay. It's an air cooled 911, after all. If that sort of work appeals to you, then why not?

If you want to be in the game of air cooled 911s, and this is hobbyist, recreational dollars you're spending, then do it. If this is for transportation at all, in the least, then hold off.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:32 AM
dhc905
Banned

Yeah - I've had a convertible before and really not a fantastically practical car (funny story about me driving up to Milwaukee to pick up a wine fridge directly from U-line in a Z3. Sure you can imagine the looks on the warehouse guy's faces when I pulled up in that car for a 48 bottle fridge!) so this is totally recreational/disposable income. That said, I don't want/need a liability.

The car currently starts, pulls well, and I even drove it through downtown sausalito and it performed well in traffic as well as running up the crazy hills in town. That's why I really wanted to get y'all opinion about the feasibility that I'm buying a total money pit when it currently seems to be in decent shape besides the interior. And I think I've got about 50/50 responses, so not making anything easier here guys!

Quick Reply: Purchase question - to buy or not to buy?